'96 GTS Anti-Freeze & Oil Leaks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: \'96 GTS Anti-Freeze & Oil Leaks

My first look would be also be at that timing chain cover and gasket.... and maybe then the T-stat

The heat-soaking of the motor after shutoff can actually pressurise the motor (esp if it needs burping!) and coolant leaks become visible after shutoff.....

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Timing cover gasket failure is fairly common on '96s. Mine failed at 15,000 miles and leaked oil all over the front and onto the top of the intake manifold.

It was a warentee item for me! Hope you have the same...

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'96 GTS Anti-Freeze & Oil Leaks

Has anyone else with a '96 GTS experienced any anti-freeze or oil leaks at the front of their engine? I am original owner with 8400 miles and noticed anti-freeze dripping off the driver side area where the head meets the block. Car is running fine...no misses...no smoke out the rear...it doesn't seem like a head gasket. Seems more like an intake manifold or thermostat gasket leaking. I noticed on another posting from Dan Cragin at The Viper Shop that 96-97 coupes have a history of leaking gaskets. I took the car to dealer last night and they said the timing cover is causing the leak. That's also possible but the steady drip is off the head/block mating area which is above the timing cover. As anti-freeze can't travel vertically with the engine off from the timing cover to a spot higher on the engine, I'm not feeling too confident with the diagnostic skills of my 5 star dealer. Sure would like some trusted voices from Viper Club to help steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have a '96, but from the description, it still could be a head gasket leak, just to the outside of the block.

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys,

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been getting oil on the front of the engine so the leaking timing cover makes sense for the oil. I hope it is also the problem with the anti-freeze as I really don't want them to have to open the engine (intake manifold or driver side head unless absolutely certain the problem is there). Thankfully, I managed to get no-cost 2 year warranty extension from the factory beyond the original 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty so my exposure is limited to a flat $200 for each covered repair. The new warranty is 5 years / 50,000 miles ....I only have 8400 miles and the 5 years expires next June 27, 2002 so at least it can't be too painful for only $200.

Reaction score

If I may suggest.....
While your car is down for service have the dealer inspect/replace the oil pan gasket too. Since the birth of your '96 the pan gasket has been revised to a much better one. Ask your tech to thoroughly clean the pan while he's at it - a small tip should assure a good job.

Good Luck,
Doug

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doug,

Great suggestion...there has been so much oil-blown back from the timing cover leak onto the oil pan...I just asumed that the oil on the pan was from the timing cover. I'll get them to clean off the pan and see if it's leaking also.

Jerry