96 GTS Transmission

dosvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS that won't go into gear in cold weather. Dodge rebuilt the trans and that didn't help. The clutch pedal goes to the floor with no resistance. It's fine in warm weather. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to correct it.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've "heard" these transmissions are dont shift well when cold. I know mine does not like to get into first gear when cold. I guess change fluids??? How long ago was the trans rebuilt? When you say the cluth goes to the floor with no resistance, do you mean the normal 'hard' cluth feel is gone or it just feels lighter?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How cold is cold? Later models had a 75W-85W instead of ATF as the fluid.

If that trans is a 96 then you should be running ATF in it! Is there a orange or white tag on the left side of trans body? If it is orange, drain the trans and refill with ATF. See if that helps? It is a cheap try and that may do it?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that trans is a 96 then you should be running ATF in it! Is there a orange or white tag on the left side of trans body? If it is orange, drain the trans and refill with ATF. See if that helps? It is a cheap try and that may do it?

Help me out here...

in 98 dodge switched the the 75w oil in the trannys to get rid of the "nuetral gear rattle". My 97 has this and I have been told and read in some TSB's to switch to the 75w oil. Side effect is in the cold it's harder to shift gears? Should I just live with the rattle, or switch out to the new oil?

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually im searching the forums for some guidance on this very topic myself right now.

I have a '98 GTS - the trans has an 'atf only' sticker on it (and I just drained the ATF).. Can I safely refill with 75w? I'm in nor cal so not worried about 'cold' running temps...

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm certain I read every post on the subject listed on these boards. After reading all the posts I went out and picked up the mopar 75W-85W. Then when I pulled the belly pan I found a nice orange sticker that read ATF only. Stubborn as I am I went back in with the 75-85. As some have stated the shifts are not as smooth as the ATF that was in the tranny prior. I am not a mechanic by any means but others above have posted who are. That being said I prefer the shifts if in the car now prior to changing. I have no problem with mine going into gear.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS that won't go into gear in cold weather. Dodge rebuilt the trans and that didn't help. The clutch pedal goes to the floor with no resistance. It's fine in warm weather. Any ideas on what's wrong and how to correct it.

If the pedal goes to the floor with no resistance and won't go into gear then it has NOTHING to do with the transmission or gear oil but is a clutch master clylinder internal seal problem or air in the fluid bypassing.You have to disengage the clutch to stop the trans input shaft from turning begore it will go into gear.:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang