96 GTS with 80K for 30K????

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I am freshly, legally and happily divorced with more money to do with than I could imagined while married. No kids between us, so that is good. I feel very blessed to have such a good job that affords me my guilty pleasures. My daily driver is a MINT Gen III that I love. But I am itching to add another Viper to my garage.

There is a 96 Blue & White GTS with Gen 4 wheels that is close to me (180 miles away) It looks great and I believe it has been well cared for. Only drawback in the mileage. It has 80K which on any other car would not scare me. But in a Viper...it sort of does. Should I be concerned exclusively because of the miles? I think I could get it for the High 20s. I would really like it!!!! Basically a stock car too.

Feedback please!!!

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am freshly and legally divorced with more money to do with than I could imagine!

How in the hell did you pull that off? As far as the car goes bud, I say pass on it. If you got the money, hold out and get one better. Congrats man!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has 80K which in any other car would not scare me. But in a Viper...it sort of does. Should I be concerned exclusively because of the miles? I think I could get it for the High 20s. I would really like it!!!! Basically a stock car too.

Feedback please!!!

I would say that if a compression test and leak down test are good, and cosmetic appearance is acceptable to you; then go for it.

Last edited:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only drawback in the mileage. It has 80K which in any other car would not scare me. But in a Viper...it sort of does.

For another ten grand you could find a much better 96. Be patient.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your goals for it? Just drive it around? Wild build? I see it as a no-lose situation. If you just want to drive it around....the mileage is moot. If you want to do a big build, you have to go into the engine anyways so mileage is moot.

OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would leave it as-is and just drive it around. I messaged the owner. I will see where it goes from there. Kind of thinking like Free says. Another $10K and I could get one with 50K fewer miles possibly.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would leave it as-is and just drive it around. I messaged the owner. I will see where it goes from there. Kind of thinking like Free says. Another $10K and I could get one with 50K fewer miles possibly.
Save the 10k.............if you like the car, and are just gonna drive it anyway, buy it and drive it. The depreciation for mileage is already happened.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save the 10k.............if you like the car, and are just gonna drive it anyway, buy it and drive it. The depreciation for mileage is already happened.

Miles are very superficial on the vipers. It s the condition that matters. There was a thread on high mileage vipers here and 80k on a car is NOTHING. If you are buying to drive then check it out and get it. Do not spent another 10 grand that you will loose by putting miles on a cream puff with less miles. I guess figure out your priorities. I saw that car looks nice

OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
E-mailed the owner and had some dialogue. I really want this car but he has in his head it is worth $33-$34K with 80K miles. And his lowest is $30K. I would give him $25K on the spot...but he mentioned being low-balled by others...so I held off.

What would you guys/gals realistically pay for it. Great looking super **** car.

Has some nice upgrades: See description below.

Good Value on this Fast Viper and the price is right.
1996 Viper GTS (First year of the GTS) (Blue/White Strips) Excellent car. I purchased from a private collection in Florida. I have done some tasteful upgrades on car including the SRT staggered 19"/18" wheels, Michelin Pilots, New Clutch, New OEM Alternator,New Tune-up, Upgraded Rear end gears to 3.73's and it's scary fast. . It's not a show car but is in good driver condition (I drive my cars and take care of them). I did take to Mopar on the Mountain event last year and it was the fastest viper out there. This car is stored in climate controlled shop.

http://images.craigslist.org/00404_jToONiy9IeJ_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00i0i_gunQ4p5HgqS_600x450.jpg

Hope pics come through.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is like mental ************....this is blue and white 96 gts that's cared for and has only 80k miles. Low balling will get you nothing. If there is a guys selling a piece of **** and tries to hide major problems you will get what you deserve. But if you are looking at a nice car and honest seller you would get a pair of balls instead with this tactic. Just buy this car already if you like it. I have a buddy driving a 97 bLue/white with 78k miles.... so what its prestine and worth the money. Best of luck

OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread is like mental ************....this is blue and white 96 gts that's cared for and has only 80k miles. Low balling will get you nothing. If there is a guys selling a piece of **** and tries to hide major problems you will get what you deserve. But if you are looking at a nice car and honest seller you would get a pair of balls instead with this tactic. Just buy this car already if you like it. I have a buddy driving a 97 bLue/white with 78k miles.... so what its prestine and worth the money. Best of luck

*** are you talking about??? "This Tactic?" I never made a low-ball offer...and 80K miles is certainly on the higher side for ALL the vipers I see for sale.

I am simply asking others what they think. The higher miles concern me. OK with you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car sounds like it is easily worth $30K. Could drive it for many years, for not much $.

Thanks Paul...that is kind of what I was looking for because I don't see many vipers for sale with miles that high. That is the variable on this car I wanted to get some community feedback on. thanks.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Viper with high miles. Due to the miles he had no offers as everybody was squabbling over the low mileage ones.

I drove it for 5 years and sold it, with even higher miles on it, for only $1,000 less than I paid for it. If I had bought one of the highly sought after low mileage ones, I would have lost much more $$ on it.

If you buy a low mileage one, every additional mile makes it's value go down, while one with already high mileage does far less financial damage.

A well maintained Blue/White 96 will always be something you can drive with pride. Nobody but you will know how many miles are on it.

Some wear their higher mileage Vipers as a source of price. Kind of like the Harley guys that ride their bikes to Strugis instead of hauling it around on a trailer.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, good looking car. I can definitely see your conundrum here. $30k might just be a steal.

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this car advertised and it looks very nice. It has some wear and tear from 80K miles, but he's upfront about it. My $.02. I agree with all that say the car is worth $30K. I think any 96-97 without issues will always be worth that, or close. However, if the miles bother you, be patient, while not plentiful, you should be able to buy half the miles, or less for somewhere around $40k.

Last edited:

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are going to drive it often, who cares how many miles it has. If you want ta blue and white one pick it up, save the money and Twin Turbo it :)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"with more money to do with than I could imagined while married...." and you are quibbling over this BIG decision on a '96 B/W GTS for $30K? OK...we've seen it before. You are smack dab in the middle of this being sold out from under you by a less tentative buyer....and then all we'll hear is how this great deal got away. Not trying to be a d!ck. But come on. -Private Collectors previous car. -Florida car (so no weather extremes). -SRT staggered 19"/18" wheels -Michelin Pilots, New Clutch, New OEM Alternator, New Tune-up, Upgraded Rear end gears to 3.73's. -Stored in climate controlled shop. OR you could pay $40k+ for a multi-owner 20K car that is bone stock, original tires, stored outside in Nebraska. original fluids, clutch, etcetera ecterea ecterera.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** are you talking about??? "This Tactic?" I never made a low-ball offer...and 80K miles is certainly on the higher side for ALL the vipers I see for sale.

I am simply asking others what they think. The higher miles concern me. OK with you?
My apologies, I was not quoting you but went off SIbilTF quote above ...."offer him 25000 winter is coming"

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is like mental ************....this is blue and white 96 gts that's cared for and has only 80k miles. Low balling will get you nothing.
No offense but that is the problem with some of you Boyz and your eyes are bigger than your brains generically speaking of course lol. I paid $35,000 for my 96 GTS with 27,000 miles and $15,000 in upgrades. He was wanting $42 K and was offended. Guess what? 2 months later he e-mailed me and accepted offer. If someone is offended by a low ball offer then they need to grow up. That's how deals are made in the real world and with the economy in the tank I would take advantage...

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense but that is the problem with some of you Boyz and your eyes are bigger than your brains generically speaking of course lol. I paid $35,000 for my 96 GTS with 27,000 miles and $15,000 in upgrades. He was wanting $42 K and was offended. Guess what? 2 months later he e-mailed me and accepted offer. If someone is offended by a low ball offer then they need to grow up. That's how deals are made in the real world and with the economy in the tank I would take advantage...

Next time I am buying I am taking you with me....if its ok with your husband:D

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next time I am buying I am taking you with me....if its ok with your husband:D

Her husband is probably gagged and locked in a trunk at the foot of their bed. Sybil doesn't ask permission....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave