96 Viper GTS Venom 550 - making more mods

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I want a stock hood allright, it's just that I can very likely not pay the price you are asking (and that leaves shipping undiscussed) :( :eater: Need to start saving to build up my own car first..

That cracks me up! :rolaugh: I do have a few items to sell...anyone want a stock hood? :D :eater:

Hope you enjoy the progress. :2tu:

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I would post the first piece of rendering received. I can't wait to see the wheels complete! :2tu: This is just the beginning :eater:

You must be registered for see images

Looks great, is he going to be modelling the whole car? Each individual piece? That's going be tons of work. Is that solidworks? I'm a trained CAD designer too (aren't we all nowdays!?) Keep the pics coming, I'm a sucker for this stuff! :2tu:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great, is he going to be modelling the whole car? Each individual piece? That's going be tons of work. Is that solidworks? I'm a trained CAD designer too (aren't we all nowdays!?) Keep the pics coming, I'm a sucker for this stuff! :2tu:

Yes, Tom will be modeling the whole car for me. Refer to my previous post for details on the renderings that I will be getting.

Tom has suggested that anyone could have their Viper modeled by him because he will already have the architecture complete...based off my Gen. II GTS. So it will be very easy for him to create a rendering for someone who wants to see what their Viper would look like before making any mods. He can change the color of the Viper and new wheels/tire combos, performance modifications (engine, tranny) and/or appearance packages!

I suspect that Tom will take my Gen. II GTS rendering and turn into an RT/10 for the first and second generation Viper. I assume that he will also render the Gen. III Viper so that members can see how their Viper might look before mods. Very coool! :2tu:

Not sure what computer program he is using.

CAIN MKII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood is off! Getting ready for engine removal.

:omg: Everything is so clean! It just looked like it never left the factory.
You bought a wonderfull viper bro.:cool:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg: Everything is so clean! It just looked like it never left the factory.
You bought a wonderfull viper bro.:cool:

Only has 1800 miles :D And I'm still rippin' it apart :omg: ;)

Basically I want to build this car to a level that will scare the living #$%$ out of me! That's my goal! :2tu:

Whitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just registered fairly recently after seeing this thread because I had to tell you how great I thought your project was.

I have loved Vipers since when they first were talked about. I can remember getting my picture taken in an RT-10 in the same color combo as your car with my first girlfriend in middle school and I still to this day have that poloroid because of that car.

I have been tossing the idea around of buying a 96' blue with white stripes for years now but was always blinded by other cars that were faster (C6Z) or cheaper too own (03 Cobra). After weighing in some contenders for a future car purchase the Viper continues to rear its' head so I decided to lurk on here.

By luck I found your thread first and started reading and enjoying your pictures. To be real honest I started to feel like I did 15 years ago when I used to build every model Viper I could get my hands on. I get excited everytime I see one on the street, but seeing yours getting painstakingly pulled apart and rebuilt really truely is cool as hell.

I honestly think that your thread has helped me make my final decision on my first big play car purchase, and I just thought I would post and tell you how absolutely bad ass I think your project is and to keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just registered fairly recently after seeing this thread because I had to tell you how great I thought your project was.

I have loved Vipers since when they first were talked about. I can remember getting my picture taken in an RT-10 in the same color combo as your car with my first girlfriend in middle school and I still to this day have that poloroid because of that car.

I have been tossing the idea around of buying a 96' blue with white stripes for years now but was always blinded by other cars that were faster (C6Z) or cheaper too own (03 Cobra). After weighing in some contenders for a future car purchase the Viper continues to rear its' head so I decided to lurk on here.

By luck I found your thread first and started reading and enjoying your pictures. To be real honest I started to feel like I did 15 years ago when I used to build every model Viper I could get my hands on. I get excited everytime I see one on the street, but seeing yours getting painstakingly pulled apart and rebuilt really truely is cool as hell.

I honestly think that your thread has helped me make my final decision on my first big play car purchase, and I just thought I would post and tell you how absolutely bad ass I think your project is and to keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Wow! This is the ultimate compliment to the Viper and my work! :2tu: I really appreciate you sharing your story with me. :beer:
I can honestly say that a Corvette and a Viper are totally two different animals. The Viper is the ultimate muscle car! :headbang: How many cars do you know that have 10 cylinders? :D I highly recommend that you purchase a Viper...this is something you will not regret. ;)
I am happy to hear that you have joined the VCA to become educated before your purchase. :2tu: You will find very valuable information on here and have access to whom ever you want. Plus the members can help guide you towards your first purchase.

Send me a PM if you need any other assistance!

Cheers
Jason

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically I want to build this car to a level that will scare the living #$%$ out of me! That's my goal! :2tu:[/quote]

Jason,

Your certainly on the right track with a CPE/TT....I'll continue to monitor your progress. :2tu:

Burt

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,

Your certainly on the right track with a CPE/TT....I'll continue to monitor your progress. :2tu:

Burt

Hey Burt,

I assume that you have a CPE/TT system in your or have seen his TT systems in action? :dunno:

Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Below are the renderings for the custom instrument gauges. Changes made to all gauges were; new font style, text size reduced, new needle indicator, added Sneaky Pete (snake)logo and Viper GTS text.

Speedometer -(km/h)
I removed the mph numbers from the gauge for clarity. Also increased to 400 km/h = 248.5 mph. Removed the trip odometer and the reset button.

Tachometer

Fuel

Temp

Oil

Amp

Last edited:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below are the renderings for the custom instrument gauges. Changes made to all gauges were; new font style, text size reduced, new needle indicator, added Sneaky Pete (snake)logo and Viper GTS text.

Speedometer -(km/h)
I removed the mph numbers from the gauge for clarity. Also increased to 400 km/h = 248.5 mph. Removed the trip odometer and the reset button.

Tachometer

Fuel

Temp

Oil

Amp

Jason, how come the speedo only goes to 250 MPH????????????

Are you planning on running out of stones or road before running out of power and AERO?

I will be renting a wind tiunnel with one of my customers on the about 4 months or so. Will you be ready to share the rental?

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason, how come the speedo only goes to 250 MPH????????????

Are you planning on running out of stones or road before running out of power and AERO?

I will be renting a wind tunnel with one of my customers on the about 4 months or so. Will you be ready to share the rental?

Hmmm...maybe I should up my speedo to 500 km/h = 311 mph :D Ya think? :dunno:

I would love to give you my car for some aero testing but I don't think I'll be anywhere close to being done in 4 months. :(

Cheers

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are doing a fantastic job!!!!! Keep it up and thanks for all the posts. I would be interested in ordering the gauges as well.

Thanks for the compliment!

My plan is to use the OEM gauges and send them to a company that will create the custom gauge faces and install them onto the gauges. I haven't selected a company as of yet but am in the works. I'll keep you posted with who I chose to do the work.

Cheers

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to rain on this awesome parade, but since you didn't mention something about it yet I'm kinda curious.. with the new gauge faces did you also take into account that actual speed is no longer corresponding with tacho speed?
Keep on going man, I'm seeing nothing but good stuff in here :2tu:

Thanks for the compliment!

My plan is to use the OEM gauges and send them to a company that will create the custom gauge faces and install them onto the gauges. I haven't selected a company as of yet but am in the works. I'll keep you posted with who I chose to do the work.

Cheers

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to rain on this awesome parade, but since you didn't mention something about it yet I'm kinda curious.. with the new gauge faces did you also take into account that actual speed is no longer corresponding with tacho speed?
Keep on going man, I'm seeing nothing but good stuff in here :2tu:

I've used website The F-Body Organization to calculate how fast I would be going at 6000rpm. With 355 25 R 19 rear tires, 3.07 rear end ratio and changing 5th and 6th gears to 0.8 and 0.63 respectively the car will be going 240mph. So I am very close to maxing out the speedo.

If I put a taller tire on the rear I can even go faster. :headbang:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Engine removal

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,

being a Hennessey car means it has bigger brakes and a better suspension?

Ted

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason,

being a Hennessey car means it has bigger brakes and a better suspension?

Ted

Yes, the brakes and suspension were modified by Hennessey. Lowering springs and larger Mov' It rotors and calipers were installed.

However these may be no longer suited for the power that I will be adding. I'll check it out to determine if I need to upgrade.

Cheers
Jason

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the brakes and suspension were modified by Hennessey. Lowering springs and larger Mov' It rotors and calipers were installed.

However these may be no longer suited for the power that I will be adding. I'll check it out to determine if I need to upgrade.

Cheers
Jason

Zero to 250 mph...?

OK.

But where will you do that so that COASTING to reduce speed is not an acceptable option?

GTSj0-250-0in20secbud?

Evel Knievel is dead... Bud carries the memmories...

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Zero to 250 mph...?

OK.

But where will you do that so that COASTING to reduce speed is not an acceptable option?

GTSj0-250-0in20secbud?

Evel Knievel is dead... Bud carries the memmories...

Only safe place I can think of to go that fast is at an airport. Or I could always select a good road in Saskatchewan (province with very flat geography where you can watch your dog run away for days) and put the hammer down. :D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can watch your dog run away for days

I like that one!:)

You are definitely going to have the world's cleanest 550 Bud! Do you have a completion time goal or are you taking it as it comes?

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow, amazing thread.
To think I have seen this thread pop up on the first page of the forum a few times and never read it.
I Have a Blue/white GTS as well and this is given me so many Ideas. I will be very keen on seeing what the noise levels are after you get her going. Mine is way to hot and loud inside.
I will most prob be going with the Roe as New Zealand roads are narrow and twisty I just could not open up the TT. Not even sure if I should be going blown but you have to have something to keep you on edge.
Great work bud and will be keeping a watchfull eye on how all this comes out.

PS do you mind if I end up putting the same wheels on mine.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can watch your dog run away for days

I like that one!:)

You are definitely going to have the world's cleanest 550 Bud! Do you have a completion time goal or are you taking it as it comes?

Hey Bob,

I haven't actually come up with a completion schedule. I am taking my time and doing it right the first time. I have tried to rush projects before and it simply takes all the fun out of everything. I honestly don't expect that I will have it on the road until Spring 2009.

I know many members are enjoying the progress and so I try to keep posting pics to wet the appetite. :)

I will be sending the engine for machining and assembly within the next month. My plan is to have the machine shop assemble the complete engine except for the intake and twin turbo charger system.

I am still waiting to hear from Greg Good with regards to the heads. Before the machine shop can complete my engine build I will need to get them the heads for install. So the timing for the engine build completion may hinge on the heads.

Stay tuned for more pics! :2tu:
Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wow, amazing thread.
To think I have seen this thread pop up on the first page of the forum a few times and never read it.
I Have a Blue/white GTS as well and this is given me so many Ideas. I will be very keen on seeing what the noise levels are after you get her going. Mine is way to hot and loud inside.
I will most prob be going with the Roe as New Zealand roads are narrow and twisty I just could not open up the TT. Not even sure if I should be going blown but you have to have something to keep you on edge.
Great work bud and will be keeping a watchfull eye on how all this comes out.

PS do you mind if I end up putting the same wheels on mine.

Happy to hear that you are enjoying the progress :2tu:

If you want to run a Roe system in your Viper, I suggest speaking with Viper member RTTTTed as he has a Roe system in his Viper and absolutely loves it. He could provide you with a lot of information. His name is Ted (fellow Canadian) and I have spoken to him on a number of occassions about his Viper. Great guy!!

No worries about purchasing and installing the same Forgeline rims I have. ;)

Good luck with your mods and let me know if you need any assistance!
Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper's frame renderings. Tom will be rendering the suspension and wheels next.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456