96 Viper GTS vs. 00 Renntech CLK Mercedes

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone. First I would like to say how much I enjoy this forum. I purchased a 96 GTS about a month ago and I love it. It is 100% stock. O.K. so on to my story.
SHORT VERSION: I outran a 2000 Renntech CLK60

LONG VERSION: Saturday I got a call from a buddy who I hadn't spoken to since I picked up the viper. We met up and I let him drive the car. He is a local plastic surgeon and he just happened to drive his mercedes that day. The car has a 6.0 liter v8. It's surprizingly low tech(no ohc or forced induction)but still produces 430hp according to Renntech. I'm not sure about the torque. Renntech claims a 12.5 second 1/4 mile, 4.4 second 0-60, and 178mph top speed. So after he's done driving the viper he said he would really like to run the cars one day. I said how about now? So off to the local parkway, uh I mean speedway, we went. We started at about 50mph. We agreed on the rolling start because of the unfair traction advantage my car has over the pirelli 285-30-18's doc is running. So there I am in second gear at about 4000 rpm. He lines up in the lane on the left of me. I count off the one, two, three on my left hand. We both nail the throttle. I notice that I have slowly but steadily pulled on him to the point where I could no longer see the front of the mercedes out of the corner of my eye by the 2-3 shift. Now I'm in third as I shoot past 100mph. I wound out third and gave it a rest. Only then could I take the time to look at the results. If I had to guess I would say I was about four car lenghts ahead at the end of third(120-130mph?). We ran them again with very similar results. Afterwards he said it was a good run and that was pretty much what the mercedes had. Now in his defense (as if he needs it, my god it's a mercedes that can hang with a viper) my car had no spare or jack and I was running on fumes whereas he had just topped his off. I think it's pretty impressive that a mercedes can have that much performance. Renntech has done a great job with that car. Oh by the way, I ran my car at the local 1/8th mile track. I had a best of 7.94 @ 92.7mph. I just wondered how that compares to other stock vipers.
Gary J
You must be registered for see images

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ran mine for a lot of runs on a "temporary" drag strip. We rent an airstrip in the boonies up here. Really bad launching on that track but still would have liked to do better. The best I did was 8.09 1/8th at 89 mph. You can see some of the video's at viper.epikos.com.

If you ran sub 8's in the 1/8th on a stock Viper you are doing very well in my opinion. I know Tom Welch in his video gets around a 7.7 in the 1/8th without Nitrous (not stock, its got different headers). Admitedly I probably would be around your time on a proper track where I could hook up earlier but I have a modded exhaust and smooth tubes too. Sounds like your car is a little higher HP than mine even stock, consider yourself lucky!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96