97 B/W GTS or 2002 FE or 2010 Coupe/ACR

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a "Mint" 97 B/W GTS a "Mint" 2002 FE or a New 2010 Coupe or ACR.

I have previously owned a new 2002 FE years ago, and really enjoyed her. Bolt ons were...K/N Filters, Smooth Tubes, Belanger Headers, R/T High Flow Cats(Ceramic) and a Corsa Cat Back....She ran and sounded Great!!!

I have "Always" loved the 97 B/W GTS, and am also thinking about a 2010. Just not sure yet.

NOW, my biggest concern is that..... I have NEVER driven a 2010, so I have no idea on the improvements in HP, TQ, Handling, Braking, Suspension, Ride, etc.

The 97 B/W should have extremely low miles, babied, no stories car, no paint work, never tracked, some minor bolt on mods are ok. BUT I really prefer STOCK!

The 2002 FE should have extremely low miles, babied, no paint work, never tracked, light bolt on mods are ok, BUT I really prefer STOCK!

I have done numerous searches on the web, and have a few in mind, but I am really hoping for some responses here. (Both Cars and Info)

What Major Differences are there on the GEN 2 vs. the 2010??? ......Preferably input from guys with ownership of both cars. Is there a "HUGE" Difference in a 2002 vs a 2010???

Also another big concern is ... what is the general thought or concern of buying a 10 year old Viper with out any WARRANTY???

Thank You in Advance Guy's

Dave

God Bless!!!

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a "Mint" 97 B/W GTS a "Mint" 2002 FE or a New 2010 Coupe or ACR.

I have previously owned a new 2002 FE years ago, and really enjoyed her. Bolt ons were...K/N Filters, Smooth Tubes, Belanger Headers, R/T High Flow Cats(Ceramic) and a Corsa Cat Back....She ran and sounded Great!!!

I have "Always" loved the 97 B/W GTS, and am also thinking about a 2010. Just not sure yet.

NOW, my biggest concern is that..... I have NEVER driven a 2010, so I have no idea on the improvements in HP, TQ, Handling, Braking, Suspension, Ride, etc.

The 97 B/W should have extremely low miles, babied, no stories car, no paint work, never tracked, some minor bolt on mods are ok. BUT I really prefer STOCK!

The 2002 FE should have extremely low miles, babied, no paint work, never tracked, light bolt on mods are ok, BUT I really prefer STOCK!

I have done numerous searches on the web, and have a few in mind, but I am really hoping for some responses here. (Both Cars and Info)

What Major Differences are there on the GEN 2 vs. the 2010??? ......Preferably input from guys with ownership of both cars. Is there a "HUGE" Difference in a 2002 vs a 2010???

Also another big concern is ... what is the general thought or concern of buying a 10 year old Viper with out any WARRANTY???

Thank You in Advance Guy's

Dave

God Bless!!!

Dave, I have ownes them all and there is a hugh difference from the Gen 2 to a 2010 ACR......Long short.......GET THE 2010 ACR.......more comfortable, more h.p. to start with...600 h.p.is AWESOME as it is, the ride, handling, and total driving experience is completely different.....Your long term investment will be much greater

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave
I currently own both a 97 B/W and a 2010 ACR.
Motor, drivetrain, seats, brakes, handling, paint quality, fit and finish....every aspect of the Gen 4 is better.
Of course it will be double the money but....full warranty...five years on drive train.....no mechanical worries....
If you can afford it....ACR all the way.

This will surely turn into a Gen 2 vs. Gen 4 debate but if you have not owned/driven a Gen 4 than how can you compare?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own a 97 B/W mint cond...I have been a car guy all my life (62) and have taken many cars to shows all over the country. I have never experienced such excitement from a car like the B/W. It is almost always the star of the show! Not to mention that it is awsome to drive...A timeless machine.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the 2010 ACR although if you could find a rare mint 2002 FE/ACR that would be pretty tempting too.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the 2010 ACR although if you could find a rare mint 2002 FE/ACR that would be pretty tempting too.

Well than you have to look no further than right here because that guy selling his with only 1K on it for 50K is a steal.
Regular FE however not an ACR FE.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave
Motor, drivetrain, seats, brakes, handling, paint quality, fit and finish....every aspect of the Gen 4 is better.
Of course it will be double the money but....full warranty...five years on drive train.....no mechanical worries....

Since this will probably turn into a Gen 2 vs. Gen 4 argument listen to people who have owned both.

Agree with all points except for "paint quality". I've owned 2 Gen IVs. The paint on both Gen IVs chips so easily. My prior Gen IV actually had areas where the clear coat was rough and "hazy" and both cars were brand new. My Gen II's have a nice thick clear coat and are much more durable. They were definitely finished to higher standards IMO.

At the end of the day, if my finances went in the hole, and I had to sell a Viper, even though the Gen IV has all those positives, I'd sell the Gen IV before my Gen II. I just prefer the styling and rawness of the Gen II.

You should probably somehow drive a Gen IV and see what you think. I like driving both generations for difference reasons. The Gen IV feels more refined and definitely more powerful...if that is what you are after. I think either car will give your perma-grin whatever your choice.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well than you have to look no further than right here because that guy selling his with only 1K on it for 50K is a steal.
Regular FE however not an ACR FE.

There's no shortage of low miles 2002 regular FE's. I think they made 360 of them and it seems at least half the people bought them to be garage queens.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had terrible bubbles on the hood of my red 98, and still some visible bubbles on the hood of my 97 BW as well from it being painted too soon before the hood was properly cured.
Common issue on those years especially red.
Nothing like that on my 09 or 10, but it is not a very thick paint I agree. But no bubbles.
Clear bra a must.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B/W if you want to own a highly recognized Viper. The FE for investment strategy, FE seem to be selling for slightly more although they are newer and the ABS cars sell for a little more against the scale. ACR will be sought out down the road, we value them but does the collector market value them? Perfect B/W seem to be selling for 60-65% of original msrp. FE is a few ticks more. ACR is too new, it has not bottomed out. From investment point of view, its your call. The ACR "1 of ..."etc builds do not at this time seem to work into the equation, the entire ACR line is low volume so they trend to have the same value. From performance I don't think there is a person on this board that wouldn't say ACR. So there is no right or wrong answer, get what moves you.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had terrible bubbles on the hood of my red 98, and still some visible bubbles on the hood of my 97 BW as well from it being painted too soon before the hood was properly cured.
Common issue on those years especially red.
Nothing like that on my 09 or 10, but it is not a very thick paint I agree. But no bubbles.
Clear bra a must.

The paint on the Gen2's is almost like a gel coat on a speed boat imo.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the B/W, but after driving one of the new ones at a SRT Track Experience I really liked the extra power, and it stopped and handled SO much better. I always wished I could have my GTS body on a 2010 chasis, and hopefully that's what the Gen V is; it'd be the best of both worlds!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uniqueness and curb appeal ----> 97 B/W

Better at almost everything automotive ----> 2010 ACR

Nostalgia of driving an old friend (for you since you've owned an FE) -----> 97 B/W

Learning to enjoy a truly fine new piece of machinery -----> 2010 ACR

....and so on.....

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave

This will surely turn into a Gen 2 vs. Gen 4 debate but if you have not owned/driven a Gen 4 than how can you compare?
Jon, that's pretty cool that you own both. I know performance and features the ACR is better, but styling wise which do you like more?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 09 VOI 10 coupe and now I have a 99 GTS. The Gen 2 just embodies that "muscle car" feeling and has lines unlike anything else. Thus far, I am happy I made the change.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each year Viper has their fans. They pull at slightly different emotions.

Every owner purchases the one that call to them loudest.

For some it is the color, others the price, still others the investment proposition.

You can buy the best bang for the buck, or simply the best.

Most forum posters will advocate for the Viper they own. Just as your own kids are more precious to you than the neighbors kids (usually)

All Vipers share the same DNA. They all provide exciting driving experiences.

You need to decide what you want your Viper to provide for your desired experience. Some want show, others need go. Some to cruise, some to race.

Invasivore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my opinion, the Gen2 GTS's are the 67-69 camaros of the Viper world. They will never be topped in appearance, no matter how hard they try. As refined as they can make them new, you can't help but smile at the timeless styling of the original.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a great selection of B&W and a FE in our classified. As far as the 2010 ACR, you can still buy new. However, if you have this type of cash, I'd wait 5 days and see if a Gen. V gets added to your list.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Each year Viper has their fans. They pull at slightly different emotions.

Every owner purchases the one that call to them loudest.

For some it is the color, others the price, still others the investment proposition.

You can buy the best bang for the buck, or simply the best.

Most forum posters will advocate for the Viper they own. Just as your own kids are more precious to you than the neighbors kids (usually)

All Vipers share the same DNA. They all provide exciting driving experiences.

You need to decide what you want your Viper to provide for your desired experience. Some want show, others need go. Some to cruise, some to race.

Well said Paul. Each snake provides an unforgettable rush....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant compare a gen2 to a gen4, very different animals.

the gen2 has looks and exclusivity and the gen4 has everything else. the gen4 drives so much better than the gen2 it isnt funny but it cant really be modded much where the 97 B/W can be boosted to much higher power levels. it really comes down to looks IMO

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own both ,and everytime I walk in my garage I look at my GTS more. The GTS is more mystique..

Also if you don't plan on tracking the ACR . Get the coupe .. * 2 cents*...

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned several Gen IIs and an 2009 SRT Coupe. Hands down the Gen IV inspires more confidence, better fitment (how about aligning the hood/headlights/fascia/door seam on a Gen II?), world class braking, and on and on. But styling there is no comparison - Gen II coupe wins.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok who wants to trade straight up a GEN II Coupe for my 09 ACR.

Sorry, I like my ride. All a matter of opinion

Bruce

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok who wants to trade straight up a GEN II Coupe for my 09 ACR.

Sorry, I like my ride. All a matter of opinion

Bruce

I love your ride too. :2tu:

Unfortunately for me, only one is in the cards for now.

I sold my 09 Coupe and got mama a new kitchen and landscaping.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 98 red gts and love it. It seems like every one pretty much agrees that hands down the the gen 4s are the way to go for performance and that the gen 2s are the iconic muscle car. . My father also has a 98 red gts, 08 black/red stripe acr, 09 snake skin green/ black stripes, & silver black stripes voi edition in the garage with my gts slammed on ccw's. . out of all of them performance aside my gts tickles me the most

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id also say do the 97 b/w over the 02 fe if you plan on boosting it in the future & if you love the muscle car cam sound

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? There are more super low mileage FE's in our classified section than I've seen in a long time(a bundh of 96 GTS's too). Just pick one, pony up, and go out and enjoy already!

ACR Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 98 red gts and love it. It seems like every one pretty much agrees that hands down the the gen 4s are the way to go for performance and that the gen 2s are the iconic muscle car. . My father also has a 98 red gts, 08 black/red stripe acr, 09 snake skin green/ black stripes, & silver black stripes voi edition in the garage with my gts slammed on ccw's. . out of all of them performance aside my gts tickles me the most

5 Vipers in one garage? It must be nice having a different viper to drive to work everyday!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21