agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 216 Sapphire GTS's.
86 Sapphire/Silver, 130 solid Sapphire.
161 black interior and 55 Cognac.

Sapphire ACR 77 total.
49 Sapphire/Silver 28 solid Sapphire.

Ted is correct about Sapphire being the fastest and nicest color.

Incase you doubt me.

International Viper Registry

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are under the delusion that rarity equals desirability.
Remember the clamor to bring back Sapphire as a color on new models because it was so popular?
I don't either.....

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, B&W '97 is one of my favorites and originally had a chance at a nice one, but it sold before I could get there!:(

But then, I started looking more closely at red RT's and decided that overall I preferred the look and color. To me, it is classic that a sports car be red...not taking anything away from the B&W's or other colors - silver, gray, sapphire, black, and the (slower) yellow!

Though not fully decided on striping mine, my favorite is a red RT with white stripes...just one person's opinion!:headbang:

But, all that said, I agree that B&W GTS's will fetch nice $$$ and continue to appreciate...good one should be high $40's and up, over $50k with low miles. Wonder if same can be said for B&W RT's....very rare in terms of production numbers, but again, an RT vs GTS

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the first Blue/white GTSs needed engine replacements as the "standard" engine block was a failure and they blew up. All the rest of the Gen 2s got the GTSR block castings.

Nope - Jon B has the first consumer GTS and I never heard of his engine blowing up. I have a late 1996 GTS and I don't have a GTSR block nor has my engine ever blown up. The GTSR block isn't provisioned for attachment of the A/C compressor and is not a "drop in" replacement for the stock Viper block.

The Blue/whites all came with heavy cast irone exhaust manifolds.

True, +22 lbs. versus 1998 tubular shorties, but in my case engine dyno'd slightly better with stock iron manifolds versus 1998+ shorties. The shorties were added to 1998+ not to save weight, but for emissions reasons - faster cat function.

All the Blue/whites came with cast 17" wheels.

Nope - all came with 17" but only 1996 & early 1997's came cast. Later 1997's had forged as did all 1998's, the last year of the 17" wheels.

Blue/whites has the inferior alarm systems - when they go ... unless Steve - Indy is coming to fix it, you're not going anywhere until you instal a new alarm module

Depends how you define "inferior". While I agree Steve-Indy can fix just about anything, the "inferior" alarm of the early GENII's was corrected via a TSB that involved repositioning the alarm hood switch and reflashing the EEM (Electronic Entry Module). Hardly a major issue.

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll be really nice to see the B/W values start to trend back up again. My Geico agent told me that I'd only get $45k from them if I totaled it tomorrow - which I think is low. To be honest, I think a clean, no stories, '96/'97 B/W will be back in the high 50's or low 60's within five years. People keep crashing them so there are fewer and fewer to be had, and they have a cult following like none of the other Vipers. I drive my '09 ACR all over the place, and people don't react to it like they do the old GTS. Anytime I park the GTS somewhere, there's soon a crowd around it. It's just a very cool car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll send a link to this to JonB. I read the first 50 had the faulty blocks. And as you said, Jon would know if the info I read was wrong.

As far as alarm issues I wasn't referring to the switch position, I was referring to the override switch that you didn't get in those years. Alarm problem = tow truck.

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the second time you posted about the cast wheels on the 97 B/W, and even after correcting you a week ago you post the same misinformation again. Your in a thread about a car you don't own, your "facts' are wrong yet again and the whole point of your post was to denigrate the BW compared to your car. Classy.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the second time you posted about the cast wheels on the 97 B/W, and even after correcting you a week ago you post the same misinformation again. Your in a thread about a car you don't own, your "facts' are wrong yet again and the whole point of your post was to denigrate the BW compared to your car. Classy.

Well, you didn't post the month or number of the late 97s that managed the forged wheels so I guess we could adjust to say "nearly all ... " or "most Blue/s" came with Cast? You could have just said that. You didn't.

So we agree that all 96s and most of the 97s came with cast?

My post wasn't to denigrate the Blue/white, it was to correct that they were the "best".

You know that the 98s came with an alarm override? Since one of my friends forgot his FOB, drove 800 miles and then found out (after he locked the doors at night) that he couldn't disable the alarm and drive the car ... well it kinda ruined the trip for him.

Ted

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we agree that all 96s and most of the 97s came with cast?

Not to get in the middle of this, but I'll throw in the little knowlege I have about the cast vs. forged wheel issue. What I heard was that customers complained about the 'scratchy' look of the '96 cast wheels, and Dodge switched suppliers at the end of the '96 model year run. There were only a few '97s that used the leftover cast wheels from the '96 run, and most of the '97s had the forged wheels (which were stronger and looked a heck of a lot better). I know of one '97 owner who complained about the finish on his very early '97 GTS wheels, and the dealer swapped them out for the newer '97 forged wheels - so I'll bet he wasn't the only one. Ironically, those '96 cast wheels are going to be crucial for making a classic '96 factory correct. A lot of those wheels cracked or broke from track use, so more than a few got relegated to the dark corners of people's garages and were probably forgotten.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gonna rain on a parade or two ... the first Blue/white GTSs needed engine replacements as the "standard" engine block was a failure and they blew up. All the rest of the Gen 2s got the GTSR block castings. The Blue/whites all came with heavy cast irone exhaust manifolds. All the Blue/whites came with cast 17" wheels. All Blue/whites has the inferior alarm systems - when they go ... unless Steve - Indy is coming to fix it, you're not going anywhere until you instal a new alarm module.......Ted.

Why is this 2006 thread resurrected at all?

If there exists a list of the top 5 1996 GTS "expurts" I'm probably on it.... and much of what Ted cites is correct, or partially correct. Dont shoot the messengers.

IT WAS THE FIRST OF A 7-year SERIES, with many "Bugs" associated with a new model. And I have grown to love and hate every bug I had to de-bug on my '96 GTS, the first retail unit delivered, and the very first CAAP delivery of anything.

The 96 GTS was long delayed, due in part to wheel supply issues....Car and Driver called the GTS "the most-awaited sports car since the 1984 Corvette" (there was no '83 vette you see.) The facts of the cast 96 wheels are easily searchable, with some ugleee pictures of broken wheels. 165 of the first 96 GTS in KZ status, were loaded and out for delivery on Reliable trucks and TURNED AROUND to CAAP to repair 3 issues as discoverd in the field. (On a certain Pace Car at left!) As determined later, the alarms sucked, the oil pans sucked, the window stanchions and window motors and weatherstrip on doors sucked, and some of the 97 GTS rear glass blew out. Then the PCV system fell apart. Then a TSB on the cooling fan improved overheat issues. Then, the frames had 2 recalls. The 96 had a great cam and PCM and a drool-inducing look. made more HP than claimed by a large margin. The +24 lb cast-iron manifolds ran cooler than the SS shorty tubes of 1998+...but made a bit less HP.

In my opinion, NONE of these well-documented 'bugs' have lowered the collectibility or value factors of the 96 GTS.... "Its The Economy, Stupid" comes to mind however...

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For you ex corvette guys the 97 b/w is the 67 427/435 of the viper world. No matter what show I take it to it is always the star!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
RT-10s normally will bring less money than a GTS, just as today the resale is slightly higher on Coupes than SRT-10 roadsters.

There are always exceptions, and the ultra rare B/W 97 RT-10 will bring more than a GTS -----------try to ever find one, as most are hidden away.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that the Blue/white GTS is the true Viper icon. Search Wilkipedia and that's the picture you see under VIPER.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B/W GTS is the most desired viper IMO and always will be. making its value the highest

97 B/W > 96 B/W

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion. I also don't think the B/w's are worth as much more than some of ya'll B/W owners think... More but not SO much more.

And red is the least IMO

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you can make an argument both ways for which year is more desirable (96 or 97), but I agree the B&W is the most desirable color combo for the GTS and it will always be highly regarded and sought after.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way. Although they look nice in red, it isn't one of my favorite colors for the Viper. Then again, I'm not really a fan of red on most cars anyways, except for Ferrari obviously.
I have a B&W street car and a red (with silver stripes) track car. I dont care for red cars anymore, but I have to say sitting in the garage, the R&S looks sharper. :omg: I still prefer the B&W color combo though.

The most desirable color combo for a GTS is the white/blue GTSR, they still bring over MSRP.

I think that has a LOT more to do with the car than the color combo. ;)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a B&W street car and a red (with silver stripes) track car. I dont care for red cars anymore, but I have to say sitting in the garage, the R&S looks sharper. :omg: I still prefer the B&W color combo though.

My buddy has a 2000 Red/Silver GTS too, it's a nice looking car. I just have a hard time picturing myself driving a Red Viper or most likely any red car. If I didn't have a B/W, I most likely would have gotten yellow or gray(Steel/Graphite).

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took both of my cars to a local all-mopar show. You were allowed one judging ballot per car entered. In the Gen I & II category my blue and white took a second place behind a well-dressed yellow car and ahead of a silver and grey - my red & silver car did not place.
I know, it's anecdotal but I thought it was a strong indication of what a large crowd of "car guys" would think. I don't consider either of my cars to be in the same class as the yellow car (it is very well detailed and has lots of aftermarket goodies including built-in subs and four or five flat panel tv screens) but I was surprised to see such a strong response to the B/W over my red and silver car and others. We had fourteen vipers at the show.
I have had many people see both of my cars and I have never had anyone say that they prefered the red/silver over the blue & white. Most are surprised at how well that blue & white color scheme appears. Even my kids prefer the blue car.