97 GTS Vs. 02 RT/10

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have some opinions on the following:

1) I had a 97 GTS with just a 3" catback and no cats.

2) I now have an 02 RT with high flow cats and stock exhaust system.

Not much difference between the two.......the 97 had more cam duration overlap, but basically the two engines should be equal, in terms of power and torque output.

My question is: Why did the 97 seem so much faster...or quicker? Could it be the difference between to two exhaust systems? No cats and a 3" catback on the 97? Would that be enough to make the 97 seem so much more violent on acceleration?

The 02 just does not snap my neck back :D the way the 97 did.

97 = neck snapper
02 = not as abrupt when putting the pedal down

Why? Any opinion would be appreciated. I've been thinking about this for a while.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your question would be more interesting if you had objective evidence supporting your subjective opinion.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you change the gearing in your 97? I have the 3:55s and they are notably quicker than the 3:07s. I'll bet it was gearing.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you change the gearing in your 97? I have the 3:55s and they are notably quicker than the 3:07s. I'll bet it was gearing.

I know there has been some discussion on this before here, but let me ask you directly.

I assume (?) you had the 3:55's put in. How much higher RPM's on average does the car run given the same MPH? I just got my Viper and 3:55's are on my list of upgrades. With the stock gears I never get out of third gear around town. I'm just curious how much higher the car will run in "normal" driving.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two cents:

My 98 RT has the 3.54 rear and I've driven and rode in both Gen II and III cars with 3.07; the difference is night and day.

With 3.54s, the car simply explodes in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears as opposed to kind of more gradual come-on of power in (stock) 3.07 cars. The mod also makes fifth gear a great choice for 40 MPH and up and makes sixth very livable above 65 (some drone due to RPM range being around 1500 with mine).

I got 18 MPG on a highway trip, no problem - average around 11 overall.

The only people that seem to need the 3.07s are those who've added significant HP over stock - because they end up having to shift to fifth in the quarter! :eek:

Edit: Here's a great link:
http://socal.viperclub.org/techtips/TT10.HTM

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the exhaust system your 97 had it would be a bit more powerful than your 02. Combine that additional 10-20hp with the sound and pshyc of driving a 97 with stock lumpy cam and it probably makes the 97 seem a lot faster. I suspect it was only .1 or .2 faster.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97's have always responed to exhaust mods with more real dyno proven power, then their 01-02 counter parts.

Your feeling was probably dead on with reality.

If I was to pick, I would have the 97 motor in a 02 car. Get all the power, and all the refinements/imporovements of the later years (ABS for one).

Jon

OP
OP
R

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon: There is definitely a difference that I can feel. I drove the 97 for five full years. The 97 was definitely more abrupt in acceleration than the 02. I don't know why some people thought I changed gears......I never said I did. Both cars have the 3.07s.

I agree with you.....not having the 97 engine, with its lumpy idle was the biggest thing I regretted about the 02.

But both engines are rated the same in hp and tq. I wonder if this is true? Would removing the 6 degrees of overlap and using the revised lifters make that much difference in the 02?

Or could the differences in the exhaust systems make that much difference?

Maybe I should dyno.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two cents:

My 98 RT has the 3.54 rear and I've driven and rode in both Gen II and III cars with 3.07; the difference is night and day.

With 3.54s, the car simply explodes in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears as opposed to kind of more gradual come-on of power in (stock) 3.07 cars. The mod also makes fifth gear a great choice for 40 MPH and up and makes sixth very livable above 65 (some drone due to RPM range being around 1500 with mine).

I got 18 MPG on a highway trip, no problem - average around 11 overall.

The only people that seem to need the 3.07s are those who've added significant HP over stock - because they end up having to shift to fifth in the quarter! :eek:

Edit: Here's a great link:
http://socal.viperclub.org/techtips/TT10.HTM

Ok, with that said, I'm getting 3:55 (3:54?) gears. Been thinking about it and the above testimonial confirms it in my head. I don't plan on going the SC route. Most of my driving will be 0 to 100 or somewhere in between. Seems to make sense for a slightly moded street car.