'98 GTS Dyno few bolt-ons

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All!

I got it dyno'd last year but never put it on this site. I figured I would put it up because A.) it could be helpful info and B.) I am bored in Korea and won't see my car for a year. :(

You must be registered for see images attach

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96hSdjUTiBg[/media]

It had K&N intake system, cat-less straight pipes(muffler was deleted and x-pipe put in by previous owner). I removed cats because one was gunked up and wanted to see if it helped any.. much cooler ride.

I am currently getting some Belanger headers as my next mod. May be end of the year before I get home to dyno my baby again and hit the track. After those results I may throw a cam into the beast.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like my Catless 3" Corsa exhaust with 1 3/4" headers. Awesome sound. I suggest 1.7 to 1 rocker arms as they only need to remove the valve covers to change them over.

If you do all the work to change the cam and lifters I'd suggest thinking of honing the intake. Not sure of the cost ($200?) but you should realize 20rwhp if done properly. Porting the heads makes a good hp modification is that will work with every other mod you can do. Compression ratio can be adjusted by shaving the heads as well.

If you have no plans to supercharge the car in the future then installing lower gears is one of the most practical and popular mods as it doesn't change hp, but it does let you utilize the horsepower that you already have and don't get to use. Old cars had 1:1 final drive transmissions and normally hp cars came with 3.23 to 1 gear ratios. The Viper has a 1.5 x final drive transmission and a 3.08 gear ratio. 3.55 and 3.75 gear ratios are popular.

Ted

OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah,

I am not too sure about any form of boost. Maybe way later down the road if at all, maybe nitrous. The thing about gears is I really like the pull and feel of these gears. I had 3.73 in my LS1 TA and I honestly didn't like it. Is there 3.33 or something gears I could get? I also plan on getting an aluminum flywheel.

Thanks for info!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, you can get whatever gears you want. Keep in mind that the 6th gear in a Viper (except the 2010s) is overgeared and not usable for performance and top speed is found in 5th gear. I believe the choice of the 1.5 to 1 6th gear is to appease the Gove rules and regulations. Like losing Lithium and other extreme pressure lubricants, they were removed from modern engine oils because of emmissions, not for the benenfit of customers or engine longevity.

There's a used aluminium flywheel in the classified section for about $200 and the steel friction plate that you replace each time you change the clutch costs only $30-40 including the attachment bolts.

Ted

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got 428/481 with just a KN intake and cat/muffler delete ... WOW!!! Nice ---

OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has long tube headers and 3 inch piping but not dynoed or tuned yet. It may be awhile before I get an update.