A/C Has stopped working.

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The A/C on my 02 RT-10 has quit. Blower runs and it responds to control settings but does not cool. Worked normally about 5 weeks ago. The a/c clutch fuse is okay. Is there anything I can check before resorting to the dealer??

Eric

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des it have refrigerant? Usually it leaks out slowly, but perhaps a connector got jostled and leaked more quickly than normal. Perhaps it just needs a charge? If it leaked quickly and recently, and if it had dye in the refrigerant, you can check for leaks with a black light.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring it to a qualified shop if you don't know refrigeration work or have the necessary equipment...

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted some pix on the O-ring replacement process.....not hard to do at all, 10 minutes with a 10mmm wrench but you have to contort a bit to reach the compressor-side block. Before you do that, do as suggested above......take it to the dealer for diagnosis......my local stealership only charged me $100 for check, purge, fill, and checkup a week later. You can do it yourself for less than half that if you want to spend the time but $100 ain;t so bad.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was blowing warm a few weeks ago and I took it to an A/C shop to do a leak check. I thought it was going to be the O-rings, but the Shrader valve on the low pressure line had a slight leak.....replace valve, evacuate system and recharge. Blows ice cold now and is holding up so far.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '01 has had a slow leak that we can't seem to find, so I get it charged every spring and it holds for the summer.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 GTS stopped blowing cold after the O rings were replaced and it was charged a year ago. I took it in and they found a small leak on the lower driver side condenser fitting which is not easy to get at. I recharged it a few weeks ago with a $15 walmart bottle with the gauge and it's ice cold again. The next time it leaks down I plan on sealing it with Nu Calgon Easy Seal.

http://nucalgon.com/

emaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine wasn't working on my 97 gts, so I just replaced the O rings last week since it literally takes 15 minutes to complete. Hoping that was my problem.

For no more then they cost and time involved, I would start there.