A few tech questions about a car I'm considering.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few tech questions about a car I\'m considering.

Hello all...

I'm in the process of buying a slightly older Viper (I MUST have side-pipes!
You must be registered for see images
) and I've found what appears to be a pretty good one in my area. It's a '94 RT/10 with only 1500 miles in it. The onwer is asking a very reasonable price for it but there are some things that make me wonder:

1. The steering is loose. There is a shaft that runs along the left side of the engine that is missing one of the bolts (?) at the lower end that connects it to another link. He says the dealer already ordered and received the replacement part for him (the shaft) and that he's getting that done before he sells it to me. The question is, is this a common failure on a car with this few miles?

2. He also said the left front shock absorber was replaced. Again, another common thing for a car with such low miles?

3. He said he did lose control once just after getting the car (not too uncommon, from what I hear) and hit a street sign with the front of it. The front air dam was replaced and painted and there's some overspray still visible on the under side of the hood. This is no big deal but it caused me to take a much closer look at the front end for any damage. I couldn't find any but I did notice what appears to be a sheet of unpainted aluminum just behind the left front wheel that looked like it's slightly wrinkled. Is it common for that to get some damage under normal driving or could the front end damage have been severe enough to bend something that far back? Based on what the rest of the car looks like, and the low mileage, it may just be that this plate is a little wrinkled from the factory. Any ideas?

The car is in spectacular shape and is exactly what I was looking for. Let me know any thoughts on these things ASAP as I may be buying it tommorrow!

--Rob

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: A few tech questions about a car I\'m considering.

BE CAREFUL!!! I GOT HIT ON MY VIPER BY A DISHONEST SALESMAN. HE ENDED UP SETTLING OUT OF COURT FOR A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT. CAN'T DISCLOSED. DON'T BE IN A RUSH TO BUY LIKE I DID. IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG, YOU WILL REGRET LATER!! I HATE TO SEE SOMEONE GO THROUGH WHAT I DID. IF THE STEERING IS LOOSE, I WOULD SAY MAYBE IT ALSO HIT A CURB PRETTY HARD?

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be careful, something sound wrong having these problems with so few miles. I will be selling a fully modified 94 soon. Email me if you are interested.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Agree with Marc and Adam...slow down. Would try to contact Va. VCA members ( can link to Andy Levitt from this site's home page ), see if they know the car...maybe ask one of them to inspect it with you and/or give you the name of an EXPERIENCED Viper Tech close by that could go over the car with you for a fee. There are PLENTY of excellent, honest, beautiful Vipers out there...take a little more time, get VCA help, and you'll find yours.

P.S.....glad things worked out, Adam.

Steve Fess Sec. Ind/Ky VCA

Reaction score

Rob -
As you already have, you can do more research. See if you can run the vin #'s and find out more about the surrounding circumstances. You may contact his ins. co. to research a claim. Call Dan Cragin and see if he can walk you through it.

**Most important** ... was that "street sign" supported by a concrete wall?

Regards,