A little surprised at Insurance costs.....

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thinking about an '06 Viper and called my insurance companies. I have 3 regular vehicles on my Geico policy, they wanted $1050 per year to add a viper with 250/500 deductables like my other cars. Hagarty will also insure Vipers, I have 3 classic muscle cars on my Hagarty policy, 1 is valued about 2x a new Viper, 1 about the same, and 1 car a bit less. Total annual premium for all 3 cars is only $1100. Hagarty however wanted an additional $1500 a year to add a Viper used the same way as the others (less than 2k miles per year). Surprized me..

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I went from my Z06 to the Viper, my yearly premium only went up $102.00 with USAA. I have 3 cars with them.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper is one of the most expensive cars to insure

crack the fascia, and hood, and a tiny bit of front end damage, you are looking at a total

considering how easy these cars are to spin & how much each body panel costs, im not surprised when you call 80% of insurance companies you hear " im sorry, we dont insure vipers "

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got Geico on my Viper last week, I wish it was $1050 a year. Vegas is one of the highest for insurance, but mine was $1000 for 6 months with the bare minimum coverages. My reg. insurance wouldn't cover it, American Family. Even worse is when I move to CA. next month, I have to get all new insurance as AmFam doesn't insure in CA. And Geico was approx. $250 higher on each car every 6 months.

OP
OP
J

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my surprise was that I already have 3 cars insured with Harerty with simular performance as a Viper, simular high parts pricing and difficulty to fix, total stated value of the cars is ~$300k, and the annual premium is $1100. Add a $75k Viper, premium goes up by $1500. I'll just call it another Viper tax like the cost of headers, exhaust, etc. LOL.. Thanks all......

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine under my commercial policy. It is $1,750.00 a year.

The same insurance co. refused to insure the new Z06.

EXHLR8N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you move to California, check AAA. We have found they are very competitive and easy to work with in the event of claims. If you have teenage drivers, they are particularly competitive.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much to my suprise AAA was by far the lowest cost insurer in San Diego for my Viper. Left them years back due to price, but recently they are a good deal.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avoid AAA in CA at all costs! They use a database provider that compiles data on you (ILLEGALLY, but they say different), correct or not... they cancelled my policy without warning siting that I was not insurable. After a lot of fuss, I was able to view my file, and turns out the info was incorrect, but they refused to verify and reinstate my policy. THEN they had the nerve to claim I didn't pay them the next month and threaten to go to collections, etc.! :evilmad:

I'm with 21st now and couldn't be happier.

http://www.i21.com

03gobluecobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got quoted $2000 for 6 months with $1000 deductibles :) Of course a couple tickets and being 25 doesn't help.

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had AAA, and their price was quite reasonable. Now I have coverage through American National Insurance. It costs $483 for 6 months here in Calif.

The primary reason I changed is that my new agent is a fellow Viper owner & personal friend.

Of course it's higher than some other cars, but not unreasonable under the circumstances.

Regards,

Mike Dolan

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will have to check all those out when we move next month. I was upset they didn't have AmFam there until they wouldn't insure the Viper here. I have 1 unchargeable accident and a speeding ticket for 86 in a 70 from last year, 34yrs old and a finacee' is 30yrs old with no driving violations. I have the 03 Viper, 07 Avalanche and a 06 Acura TL, hopefully they don't **** me on insurance in CA. I have been paying $2400 a year for the chevy and acura with max coverages and $500 deductibles.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interviewing companies now. I have my 68 Z-28 and 1923 T-Bucket with Hagerty. The others are with State Farm and they are charging me as Daily drivers on our BMW 760Li, Porsche 996 cab, 2000 Prowler, Hummer H2, Mercedes S500, Viper SRT. It is my wife and I and they treat them as if they are in traffic and on the highway daily. The viper is $200 a month. My agent tried telling me that the state regulates it and he cannot discount them as pleasure only.

The Prowler and Porsche will run $1200 a year for both through Hagerty.

I am talking to Hagerty, Grundy and 21st.

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"04mystic"...nice to see you found your coupe. Since you neglected to tell me that you were no longer selling me your viper, I went ahead and bought one from Woodhouse, which I should've done in the first place. Thanks for the month long bs that I had to go through. Guess u can't buy class :rolleyes:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my insurance local that has a few co. to choose from. Mine is 920.00 per year full coverage with 250 ded. on collision.

Thought it would be more but carrying all my cars and no tickets-and my age kept it reasonable. It would be about 840$ with 500 ded.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have State Farm. Insurance is expensive here in Florida so I was expecting the worse. My 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee is about $550 a half, so I figured the Viper would be at least double...wrong. My 06 Viper is only $750 a half..a measly $200 diff.

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"04mystic"...nice to see you found your coupe. Since you neglected to tell me that you were no longer selling me your viper, I went ahead and bought one from Woodhouse, which I should've done in the first place. Thanks for the month long bs that I had to go through. Guess u can't buy class :rolleyes:

I pmed you and expect a reply, that is if you have class

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks...sorry to drag everyone into this debate. I hereby owe everyone an apology, expecially 04mystic. There was definitely a miscommunication and I stand corrected. Very rarely do I wear my emotions on my sleeve. This time, unfortunately I did. Shawn is a stand up guy & I wish him all the best. Hope you accept my apologies and I will now crawl back into my hole.

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you and you also are a very good person. I hope you enjoy your new snake! To keep the pace going, what is your insurance costing?

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roughly $1k/yr with Farmers :2tu:
The viper should be here early next week. Thanks for the pointers. Take care.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 20 years with Nationwide and insuring 5 vehicles and my home, I left and went to Geico.
It saved me 1100 a year.
Viper went from 1200 a year to 600. Haggarty wanted 700, so I'm real happy!

I shop insurance usually every other year and all the biggys were always higher than Nationwide until this year. I just couldn't pass up 1100 a year in savings, so I switched to the lizard / caveman company!

56LesPaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A little surprised at Insurance costs..... *DELETED*

Post deleted by Lee00blacksilverGTS

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like ViperJoe, I also have been with Nationwide for 20+ years. This year my premium went to $4100 for both Vipers. I explained to my agent that this increase puts my insurance rate at better than $1.00 per mile since I only put about 1500 miles a year on each one. I called Hagerty, and Grundy, and got quotes, and then I called Geico, and they gave me a quote of $1450.00 for both annually. Naturally, I switched, and if this works out, I will be moving the 3 daily drivers, and the home over in the Spring.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Statefarm, full coverage. My total for both the RT and GTS is $1080 per year. It really helped to put the 93 RT on a classic car policy with State Farm. I pay $430 per year on the RT and $650 per year on the GTS.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I pay nearly 4 times as much with State Farm in Michigan (approx 120/month). And with 1000 deductible to boot!

No accidents for many years or tickets in 3 + years.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been with AAA for many years, and my rates actually dropped when going from my previous Corvette to the Viper 5 years ago. So I upped my limits to full coverage and $500 deductable and it currently costs me around $1175 a year, with no tickets or accidents in the last 7 years. :laugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte