A Long Editorial on The SRT from a semi-whiner

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I duped this because I don't think of myself as a whiner and that thread was gettin' a might long. Does this ring true to anyone else or am I a tree falling in the forest with no one around?

The SRT is definitely intended to broaden market appeal and capture folks that want a more mainstream car. You think I am wrong? Look at the thread on dinner with PVO managers and the questions posed:

1. Stripes?
2. Chrome exhaust tips?
3. Hardtop & how to attach it?

Most of the performance numbers asked about were "braggin" stats like 0-60 times and top speed. Precious few questions on hard-core track driving prowess were posed. Heck, I was surprised no one asked about cup holders and the stereo ;-)

Let's face facts; the market is nearing saturation with the current car and what it represents. Also, the economy is such that a broader market appeal and some comfort/practicality are probably essential to sustain sales. My friends in the business are literally selling UNDER INVOICE for the "beloved" GTS in its current iteration. If the market loves the GTS so very much, and the new car is so dreaded, why aren't the last GTSs being snapped up in a feeding frenzy?

DC is changing course with this car, which has the potential to offer greater performance, more conservative styling and comfort. IMO, DC is not going after the Corvette crowd as much as BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Lexus, and maybe to recapture some M-B folks who have left the fold because the SL-series has gotten TOO soft. Remember we are talking a $80,000 sports car and many buyers want classic, understated prestige as much as anything else. DC can now point to European racing heritage and success and has built a marque with some panache in the last 10 years. This car may be poised to capitalize on the past, while appealing to buyers who find the current car too brazen, cartoonish and attention-getting. Some folks want to quietly impress the way a Benz will impress, rather than draw every teenager and hotrodder at every gas station. The deomgraphics of this car has owners who are primarily 50-something and successful business owners, not 20 year old rich hotrodders (and the easy money dot-com days appear to be behind us, so the age bias will likely remain or strengthen).

As far as I am concerned, the jury is out. I have one ordered, and if it does not spank my GTS at the MotorSport ranch and other tracks, it is gone to the first poseur with $ I can find, before word gets out that the car is wimpy, wimpy, wimpy. I am optimistic, though, that the car will more than make up in performance anything it might lack in outrageous, ****, styling. Plus, I admit that I enjoy my '01 in large part because I can daily drive it, unlike my '93. I have put over 8,000 miles on my GTS in the first year, rain, shine, even through ice storms. I can go to the track or go to a mid-day appointment with a suit and tie in August heat. I look forward to daily driving the SRT, too.

Lets face it, change hurts but in the long run can be a good thing.

Enough drivel from here . . . .

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

I think you hit the nail on the head with that post - you said what I was thinking more eloquently than I ever could.

Dodge is absolutely changing the direction they are going in with the Viper. I can see why some folks don't like it... but I don't think it was a styling blunder by DC - it was a calculated change meant to appease many existing owners while subtly nudging the direction of the car to more suit a newer clientele.

And I think the new Viper looks great. Like Steve Ferguson said, it makes the current design look old and dated. This new car looks *nothing* like any S2000, or any other car for that matter. I can't wait to get mine... I guess I am right smack in the middle of the demographic they are targeting? I LOVE the new look. But I will say that I didn't at first! At first I HATED it more than most on here. Now i am psyched to get mine!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right on. I especially like the part about drawing "every teenager and hotrodder at every gas station". I am tired of the nearly constant attention for mostly those folks. Used to think it was because of me, but my wife set me straight there. I'm getting to like the SRT more and more. Stealth is good.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 31 and everything you mentioned about the Gen II Viper is exactly why I bought it. I could do without the attention, but it's a small price to pay for a brutal street proven race car.

The same reasons will keep me from the SRT. Funny, my dad likes the SRT and is considering it. 'Nuff said in my book.

The SRT reminds me of a cross between an Austin Martin and the new Jag XK8. Both awesome cars, but represent a different attitude and era. I respect the SRT, it's just not for me, not yet.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can totally understand the comparisons to Aston's and Jag's, but have you seen the SRT in person?

I don't think this car is going to get any less attention than any other Viper - and since it's performance prowess preceeds it, I bet it might get MORE gawkers and folks asking "wow, that thing really has 500hp? Wow, it can really go 200?".

In pictures the SRT looks bland and much like an XKR or something. In real life, when you are standing RIGHT NEXT to it (when it's not on a rotating pedestal, etc), this car looks wide and low... the best word I can describe it with is "vicious". This car looks like it's about to bite... it's sharp, tapered... it looks lean trim, athletic and cut... I can just picture it at a light with tinted windows so you can't see in with the exhaust roaring out the side... gives me goosebumps!
smile.gif

I think this car will be every bit as stunning as the existing GTS/RT10. And in black.. well, in black, this car is gonna look like one MEAN mother****er.
biggrin.gif

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the car in person, and it does look better in person than it does in print. I still don't prefer it over the current model, and I don't see how it makes the current model look outdated (everyone keeps saying that). I would have wished for something different to be the new viper, but this is what we are going to be offered and this is what I will buy, but my 95 I will always keep and hopefully I can add a GTS one day.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you are right.

The SRT is definitely intended to broaden market appeal and capture folks that want a more mainstream car

Many of us here are business owners and know this is how you make money.

But this does not mean you have to choose to be one of the masses you strive to sell to. Isn't that the whole point, drive something others do not.

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mundane paint schemes? The blue/white may be the classic, but if you think Yellow/Black is mundane, you may be a walking flatliner!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4