Abnormal Wear on Roller Rockers (pics)

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK here's another question. While examining/adjusting the valves I noticed there are two rollers with what appears to me to be excessive wear. One is shown in the pic below. Notice the arrows in the pic. The roller moves from side to side with a noticable gap in between the arms that hold it. You can also see the missing metal on the arm compared with the ones next to it.

You must be registered for see images

Now for the questions?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
What causes this to happen?
What should be done to correct it?

Thanks ...

I think I feel fortunate to have found this when I did.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from someone who has been there, get rid of those rockers before the damage your valve stems. If they ride to the side like you picture shows, the WILL damage you valves.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have what everybody calls the crummy crowers but I check mine about every six months and have had no wear and no problems what so ever.I have had mine on for years with a close to 700 hp motor, might want to think about those.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad_Byte:
I noticed there are two rollers with what appears to me to be excessive wear. One is shown in the pic below. Notice the arrows in the pic. The roller moves from side to side with a noticable gap in between the arms that hold it.
You must be registered for see images

I think I feel fortunate to have found this when I did.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The metal that used to be part of the rocker arm is either stuck in an oil filter (hopefully) or floating around in your motor, doing un-wonderful things to your crankshaft and oil pump gears.

OP
OP
Bad_Byte

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
The metal that used to be part of the rocker arm is either stuck in an oil filter (hopefully) or floating around in your motor, doing un-wonderful things to your crankshaft and oil pump gears.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, when I acquired the car the first thing I did was change the oil, myself! I noticed what I considered a little too much metal stuck to the oil drain plug. Something the boys as Jiffy Lube would never have told me. Since then I have been going through ever crack and crevice I can think of to try and find any problems that need attention before they become huge problems. This is obviously one. The oil pump may need to be next.

Dan:
I'll be calling later today thanks for the reply.

Marc:
You've been a great help and have sent me in the right direction with your advice on the valve spring compressor.

Everyone:
I recently joined the VCA. The people on this board are the best, I consider the price "money well wasted". (meaning its a great investment)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be showing ignorance, but are these the stock rockers or the crower rockers? would the Arrow rockers correct this?

Mike

OP
OP
Bad_Byte

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike:

My guess is these are the Crower rockers, I'm sure they are not stock. I believe they were done very early on in 1994 as part of the Venom package. Fortunately the car was driven very little and I got lucky and found prior to any major damage. After talking with several tuners (and my accountant) I have decided the arrow rockers will serve my purposes quite well. Tom at BTR is overnighting a set to me today. Great Guy, Great Price!

Since I intend on keeping this car until hell freezes over (can I say that?) I will at some point, probably this winter, have the heads redone.