ABS brakes onto a Gen 1 and Gen 2 RT 10

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ABS brakes onto a Gen 1 and Gen 2 RT 10

Does anyone know who’s supplies an ABS upgrade for a 94 RT10 or 1999 RT10 and what the cost is?

Thks

Tim

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About $9000 according to Jon from PartsRack. I had asked this question on the forum a while back.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$600 plus cores for converting OEM calipers to 40mm pistons is a pretty good alternative. Everybody that's got them is happy. I should have some more ready by the end of the month.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Archers ABS retro-fit system on my 98 GTS and - with all due respect to others posting here - believe it was some of the BEST money I've spent on my Viper for all-round, all-weather street and limited track performance.

My system including new 6 piston front calipers was well under $9000!

If you're seriously looking into this, I'd recommend a call to Archer for current pricing.

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Joe on this one. I've seen this question asked many times on this board and most people say to just get the big brake kit instead of spending the money on retrofitting ABS on earlier cars. I have asked Bobby Archer this question so many times that I'm sure he has gotten tired of me asking. He always says that the ABS IS BETTER, and he put ABS on his personal track car (2000 GTS). If someone with Bobby's skill at driving a Viper thinks it is the way to go then that's good enough for me. Remember that it costs you points at Viperdays to run ABS so it is perceived that ABS equipped cars have an advantage over non ABS cars.I personally feel more comfortable going late/deep into a corner knowing that I'm not going to flat spot a tire due to my limited driving skill. There is no doubt that ABS is a godsend when things get wet. As Janni pointed out in a previous thread, the brake bias is also different on the ABS cars. I think that the cost on the GTS is about 7500.00 and Mine works perfect. As always, I respect the other posters views. Call Viperspeed and they can hook you up.

Doc

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to agree that ABS brakes are tough to beat. My experience with ABS on other vehicles besides the Viper’ is that it’s tough to brake as well with the standard brakes over ABS brakes in performance braking conditions. And in an emergency situation there is no way 99.9% of us will out brake a good ABS set up.

It sound like it’s a good $7000 US and in Canadian Pesos that pushing the 10G mark then I want to add the Supercharger on top of that.

Now that I want to sell my Gen 1 with the rebuilt motor by Arrow Racing with the new transmission………..

Do I buy a 2001 or 2002 (must be yellow) RT10 with the anti lock brakes, change the pistons and add the blower? A bonus with this car is that there may be some factory warranty at least until they open the hood and see the blower.

Or do I buy a 97 to 1999 with the forged pistons; add the blower and the brakes?

Tim

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My decision would be based on if the aftermarket ABS is better or worse than factory. Better being its 4 channel, and is better designed for track use. These advantages would trump the obvious stock advantages of servicability from local techs, common parts, warranty, etc..if the owner is not a tech him/herself...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not going to track the car regularly then I don't see the point of adding ABS. Sure, ABS has the advantage on the track but I think that advantage isn't seen on the streets with regular driving conditions/practices.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not going to track the car regularly then I don't see the point of adding ABS. Sure, ABS has the advantage on the track but I think that advantage isn't seen on the streets with regular driving conditions/practices.

And you don't need a seat belt either, until it's to late.

ABS is a great upgrade.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not what I was told. I was told that it uses parts from a
Chrysler minivan. Not that it makes much difference (were not talking driveshafts or pistons here but electronics)
I could be wrong, but I am trying to remember exactly what Bobby told me where thie parts came from when I talked to him on the phone....I could have sworn they were NOT viper factory parts.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And you don't need a seat belt either, until it's to late.

ABS is a great upgrade.

Typical response from an owner who's probably never even engaged the ABS on his car. There's obviously a difference between seatbelts and ABS. With your response you seem to imply that ABS will stop you from having an accident. Not the case. If it's such a fantastic upgrade for the street then why is there only a handful of people who have done it? Most of the ABS conversions have been to track cars. Now go throw another coat of Zaino on your car before you give a smart a$$ answer that doesn't help the guy out whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery