ABS Light

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS Light comes on as soon as key is turned on. I have blead the system and checked all connections. Hooked up a scanner and no codes.

Any suggestions before taking to dealer?

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the light staying on?

If it is only coming up at key on.... that's the bulb check routine.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what year is it? gen 3's have done that to me a few times. unplug the ecm, let it power down for a few hours. drive the car for about 20 miles, it should go away, if everything is in check. otherwise you might have a sensor on the fritz

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is staying on and chiming at the same time (very annoying). The car is an 03. I've tried disconnecting the battery for days and it doesn't help. I've tried driving it for several miles and still going. Should I drive it longer. It's strange that it starts as soon as I turn the key on. :dunno:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the car stop OK? Does the ABS still work? It could be several things. It could be a wheel sensor or ABS CAB module. Have you bled the ABS box-it really needs to be done with a DRB-although it can be done without in a pinch. Just bleeding the brake calipers is not enough.The ABS box needs to be bleed regularly as well and that can trigger a light if not done. All of those items can trigger the light you refer to. ABS wheel sensors do go bad but without the DRB it would be difficulat to know which one is bad. I keep all of the above mentioned parts with me at the track with my Comp Coupe as we have had problems with all of those components. Have you recently added headers to the car? Another problem is that one of the wiring looms can get burnt on a header and cause an intermittent fault code- in your case the light stays on as you cannot clear it like we can with the Motec in the Comp Coupes. Lastly, techs at Dodge Motorsports have said a weak battery or poor battery connection can trigger the light at startup as well- and I believe you have to manually clear the code with a DRB. I don't believe you can find all of the codes mentioned above or clear them with a standard OBDII scanner, but I might be wrong. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the car stop OK? Does the ABS still work? It could be several things. It could be a wheel sensor or ABS CAB module. Have you bled the ABS box-it really needs to be done with a DRB-although it can be done without in a pinch. Just bleeding the brake calipers is not enough.The ABS box needs to be bleed regularly as well and that can trigger a light if not done. All of those items can trigger the light you refer to. ABS wheel sensors do go bad but without the DRB it would be difficulat to know which one is bad. I keep all of the above mentioned parts with me at the track with my Comp Coupe as we have had problems with all of those components. Have you recently added headers to the car? Another problem is that one of the wiring looms can get burnt on a header and cause an intermittent fault code- in your case the light stays on as you cannot clear it like we can with the Motec in the Comp Coupes. Lastly, techs at Dodge Motorsports have said a weak battery or poor battery connection can trigger the light at startup as well- and I believe you have to manually clear the code with a DRB. I don't believe you can find all of the codes mentioned above or clear them with a standard OBDII scanner, but I might be wrong. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses so far. We did bleed the abs module with a OBDII. ABS seems to function but I've pulled the relay in order to drive the car. I'll try a fresh battery.
Thanks

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you replace the ABS module? The constant dinging sounds like the module is stuck in "in-plant" mode.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far. We did bleed the abs module with a OBDII. ABS seems to function but I've pulled the relay in order to drive the car. I'll try a fresh battery.
Thanks

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe a OBDII scanner can bleed the ABS-only a DRB or "Red Brick" from Snap-on can.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Believe it or not......... before you engage in a dealer visit....

The replacement of the ABS module makes me suspect only an issue there. However:

1) Have you recently changed wheels/tires?

2) Have you checked your TIRE pressures? I have owned 12+, and two of the ABS cars including my 2006 are VERY tempremental on tire pressures! If you have a low tire, maybe even not low enuf for the LoTire lite, you may be tripping the ABS lite, esp if you have aftermarket wheels/tires.

PLEASE..... Use a GOOD tire guage and put 29-32psi all around, same at all 4 corners, and drive a few minutes. May take a couple of short trips. Also: On that drive, BACK UP 50 feet or so and brake firmly. This combo of electronic feedback may extinguish the lite after the requisite 3-4 run cycles. I would appreciate a report back after your no-cost attempt? But it HAS worked for me! Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not......... before you engage in a dealer visit....

The replacement of the ABS module makes me suspect only an issue there. However:

1) Have you recently changed wheels/tires?

2) Have you checked your TIRE pressures? I have owned 12+, and two of the ABS cars including my 2006 are VERY tempremental on tire pressures! If you have a low tire, maybe even not low enuf for the LoTire lite, you may be tripping the ABS lite, esp if you have aftermarket wheels/tires.

PLEASE..... Use a GOOD tire guage and put 29-32psi all around, same at all 4 corners, and drive a few minutes. May take a couple of short trips. Also: On that drive, BACK UP 50 feet or so and brake firmly. This combo of electronic feedback may extinguish the lite after the requisite 3-4 run cycles. I would appreciate a report back after your no-cost attempt? But it HAS worked for me! Thanks.

We did use the Snap On tool for the bleed. The one that has chips for different cars. As far as pressure sensors, I recently put a set of used HRE's on the car with NO pressure sensors. I was told only the low tire sensor would be affected. I remember it happening before with the stock wheels.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need a dealer to disengage the in-plant mode and the dinging will cease. I doubt the snap on tool has the option to disengage that warning... but maybe it does. Look for "in-plant test bit set" or something like that.

The service manual simply states that red brake light is for hydraulic issues, and yellow is for the electrical portion of the ABS. It mentions "initializing" new ABS units using the DRBIII. That should stop the flashing / dinging ABS lamp.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just scanned again and came up with code 21 'Power circuit failure'. Any idea what this is and how to correct? Does the ABS have more than the one 30 fuse?
Thanks
Sal

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Code 21 is either pump circuit failure or valve power feed failure...fuse problem? Can get exact problem with a DRB-code 21 is generic code not in Dodge manual.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can find is a 30amp fuse but the service manual refers to a 40A. Anyone know where it is located?

I think the number 2 fuse is labeled 'starter' 40amps. If this is the case then the fuses are good.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are two "main" fuses and then an ignition feed...
There is a 30amp and a 40amp that both need to be functional. They both feed the ABS unit via 12ga wire.

They are both direct battery feeds (pins 9 and 24), so just (carefully) probe the connector at the ABS module with the battery reconnected and the big spades should be hot.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are hot.
'In plant' mode sounds like the potential issue. Hopefully the dealer can help without charging me a fortune.
Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62