AC question for anyone living in Texas or Florida

ljpviper2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 96 GTS. The AC works fine in the winter(Miami), but summer is just brutal. I cant leave the car out in the sun, as it wont cool. I know tints will help but dont really like the look with tints.

Has anyone had any luck with upgrading to a bigger condensor or anything else for that matter.

I just want to be able to enjoy the car in summer as well.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the car in OE condition, my AC sucked last summer. '01 GTS, first year of ownership. By summer time this year, we'll have Belanger headers, RT cats and side exhaust. I'll be adding some ventilation to the Autoform sills. Also plan on doing Dynamat on the lower cockpit seating area.

Ask me in August how it all worked out.

97gtsmonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in tampa fl, and i have had no problems with my a/c its ice cold during the summer. take it somewhere and have the system completly sucked out and then recharged. mine is ice cold i have to have it turned all the way down unless my fiance freezes..

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get a can of R134a at Wallmart and fill it up. I live close to Miami. Mine was a cold breeze before, now it's an arctic wind.

Yes the Viper AC can be really efective if filled properly.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just get a can of R134a at Wallmart and fill it up.:rolaugh::rolaugh:
Yes the Viper AC can be really efective if filled properly.

A good AC tech should be able to make it work correctly. The correct method is to fill it such that the correct pressures are obtained in the system. Over fill is not good.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try checking the temp at the vent, It verys ,(38-44) is good, If it is ,and the suction line(larger one) beads water then its working. If its above 44 I would try a can. I have heard complaits that 134 would not cool, but I have got many to hit these temps.Other quick check is to make sure the condencing coils are clean.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in Orlando, I don't have AC and I'm fine. I've even raced it during the summer. Just drink a little water and you'll be fine. :D

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'94 RT/10 here, so AC isn't ever used unless I put my Autoform top and windows in. When I've run the AC it's quite freezing, even in 100+ degree Texas heat.

Besides the recommendations above, which should fix your issue if you have an AC problem as the stock AC can really freeze you out, here are some things to lower cabin temperature:

Remove your cats first, then look into side sill exhaust vents. Grab some header shields and maybe even a vented cowl and it'll be a lot different.

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Houston. My '02 RT/10 stays cool inside even in 100+ degree weather, and I've not yet recharged the AC. My engine temp was starting to push over 200-210 when sitting in traffic during the summer, so I flushed the radiator. Since then, I edge just a bit over 195 when in stop-and-go traffic in the sun, as long as I keep the RPMs low.

My understanding is the Gen3 stays pretty cool in the cabin as well, even at high RPM, high outside temperature.

So before changing the compressor, have you recharged the AC and flushed the radiator?

OP
OP
L

ljpviper2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responces. My car never runs hot, plus I do not have cats.

Like I said in summer if I take it out of the garage and go to work the Ac is fine. Its when the car sits in the sun it wont cool down. Nothing worse than sweating in a nice sports car, reminds me of my 86 911 Turbo, same AC issues.

I will start buy checking the temp out of the vents today and post later on.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you check your temp at the vent drive it around or rise the rpm to around 1500-1800, this will circulate the 134, at idol it will raise temp at vent.

V

Venomiss

I own a 96 GTS. The AC works fine in the winter(Miami), but summer is just brutal. I cant leave the car out in the sun, as it wont cool. I know tints will help but dont really like the look with tints.

Has anyone had any luck with upgrading to a bigger condensor or anything else for that matter.

I just want to be able to enjoy the car in summer as well.
You can upgrade to Viper owner on this site-just PM a moderator with your information, nobody else will see it except them. Or......

Maybe talk with other Vipers in your area? Join us? They have a big event going on
Feb 2nd I believe for South Fl. club members.
Viper Club of America - South Florida Chapter

VCA Joining/Renewal Message - Introducing PayPal! easier than ever!

You can now renew your VCA Membership in one of 3 ways:
1) Via our new PayPal option at Dodge Viper Magazine
2) by calling Viper Headquarters at 1-800-998-1110 or
3) by mailing us your check or money order. If you choose to use the new PayPal option, you will need your full 17 digit Viper VIN to complete the renewal process. Simply log onto Dodge Viper Magazine and the renewal information is located on the Home Page. If a member doesn't renew their membership via PayPal or by some other method, we will be mailing out renewal notices at the beginning of December .

Last edited by a moderator:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to enjoy the A/C is to cut out the cats. Regardless if you have a Gen I, II or III, they WILL increase the cabin heat drastically. If you want to satisfy the tree huggers, get some RT cats. ;);) The will reduce the temps too. :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you check your temp at the vent drive it around or rise the rpm to around 1500-1800, this will circulate the 134, at idol it will raise temp at vent.

So sitting in traffic idling we should expect the AC to not work well then?

Also, your previous post regarding temp measurements, how critical is ambient temp? I mean, it is winter. Should you do these measurements on a day warm enough to actually need the AC?

And checking the suction line for condensate as you suggested, is that a test you can do while driving the car? Yeah, I know you have to stop and raise the hood and look, but will that line have condensate will putzing around at 1500-1800 RPM?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang