According to Ralph Gilles

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-TA lasts on the lot for 30 days on average!
-Dealers who optioned the Viper like Ram trucks are the problem for slow sales
-60% of Gen V customers never owned a Viper before
-Over 700 Gen Vs sold as of now
-Hemi wont fit in Viper. No other V8s either due to width of engine. V10 is the only option.
-1/3 of the 700~ cars were sold by 3 dealers.
-Dealers who price gouged learned their lesson
-No DCT is coming. Doesn't fit, doesn't work well for city driving due to torque from Viper V10 engine. Long story short, Viper is intended to have a visceral experience. If you want an auto, look elsewhere.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"60% of Gen V customers never owned a Viper before"

This is kinda sad to me.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is actually pretty good numbers.

I was referring to the fact that I was sad that more viper owners don't see the value in upgrading (whether it be because of price/performance). I have yet to drive the gen V so can't speak on it.

orlanderlv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW. Who are the three dealers? Maybe I can get a Viper from one of them.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason it's sad, is because I can't currently afford a new one. I love the new car, in particular the T/A and would love to own one. Glad to hear they aren't woosifying it. If the ACR comes out and it performs, sales and cost will not be an issue. I think the real reason they aren't making any changes is because the mother ship has a noose aound cars neck as it stands. :(

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is actually pretty good numbers.

Yes its good numbers in that it showed that they brought new blood into the Viper experience. They suceeded in attracting new buyers. Hopefully that trend will continue despite the air of uncertainty. I must admit I was a bit surprised that the majority were not repeat owners. So it looks like maybe the marketing fiasco affected previous owners view of the car a bit more than the new bloods.

Disappointing but good to know that DCT cant fit so that should end that discussion. I wonder about his take on the viability of CCB's in the future or maybe DI if its feasible.

Im not surprised the TA's are not languishing on lots for months. They did excellently all around on that model.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"No DCT is coming. Doesn't fit, doesn't work well for city driving due to torque from Viper V10 engine"

Not buying that one. Unless something changed at corporate since last July, that's not what someone at SRT VERY high up (you can guess who) told me to my face last summer at Carlisle.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the part about dealer gouging and learning a lesson. One of my local dealers bought just one 2013 GTS and its still sitting there. GM told me they want it out of there. All offers highly considered.:rolaugh:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"No DCT is coming. Doesn't fit, doesn't work well for city driving due to torque from Viper V10 engine"

Not buying that one. Unless something changed at corporate since last July, that's not what someone at SRT VERY high up (you can guess who) told me to my face last summer at Carlisle.

Yes not buying that either..

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
-TA lasts on the lot for 30 days on average!
-Dealers who optioned the Viper like Ram trucks are the problem for slow sales
-60% of Gen V customers never owned a Viper before
-Over 700 Gen Vs sold as of now
-Hemi wont fit in Viper. No other V8s either due to width of engine. V10 is the only option.
-1/3 of the 700~ cars were sold by 3 dealers.
-Dealers who price gouged learned their lesson
-No DCT is coming. Doesn't fit, doesn't work well for city driving due to torque from Viper V10 engine. Long story short, Viper is intended to have a visceral experience. If you want an auto, look elsewhere.

Ralph is in a hard position,and I understand him taking this approach. It's tough when a car company is owned by another one. You just cannot do things freely,and the shoe string budget given to him doesn't help either..

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Didn't he say in one of the first videos for the launch that they were going to eventually have to made a automatic variant?

I don't remember,but I can see that is defitnetly do able if FIAT gave him more resources/$$.. The new Chrysler 200 has a 9 speed auto paddle shifter,and the new Z06 will have an 8 speed. GM claims it's 8 speed auto paddle shift will shift faster than Porsche's PDK..

rollymohan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure lots of us wanted to add more garage space onto the five we already has but change our mines for some reason and so what if Ralph thought of an automatic but it is not feasible so he changes his mine.If you want an automatic viper you will have to do the modification yourself.