ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Zonda F had been previously campaigned at the Ring too, and it beat the then record-holding GT-R 7:29 time with a 7:27 time, which was beaten by the ZR-1 during their active campaign with a 7:24.6. I believe that the ACR beat the ZR-1's record time on it's second lap with a 7:24 run (matching or beating all of the exotic supercars in this later test). And then of course the ACR Viper went on to set the new record of 7:22, which has yet to be unbroken.

I also agree that it's very likely that each of these supercars were run several laps at the Ring to get their top time, which makes sense because they were able to beat Paganis own record time with the Zonda F Clubsport. :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT rented the track for 4 hours and only did 4 laps to get that 7:22 in the ACR. Maybe you cant compare the EVO test numbers to the ZR1 and GTR since they had years to R&D and countless laps before they ran there respective times but you sure as hell can compare EVO's numbers to the ACR and draw a reasonable conclusion from it.

Im pretty sure EVO did several laps in each of those cars to get those times. The ACR was hardly at its best btw and dealt with a 25mph head wind so the fact that it still has the production record even with serious runs from these 5 supercars speaks volumes about what SRT has accomplished.

The certified lap times for the Dodge Viper ACR at the Nürburgring were as follows:
Lap 1 7:42.7
Lap 2 7:35.0
Lap 3 7:24.1
Lap 4 7:24.9
Lap 5 7:22.1 (Record)
Lap 6 7:24.5
You could consider the 1st 2 laps as warm-up/setup laps with 4 hot laps to follow

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper also won in 2000. So thats 3 back to back wins at Lemans. After they proved themselves as dominant champions. And after they pulled out. Is when the corvettes started to win at Lemans.

In fairness to the Vettes, when the Vipers were dominating ALMS and Lemans the Vettes were forced to run a 6.3L motor. When the Vettes were permitted to run a 7.0L motor things changed and the Viper stopped competing with factory-backed/Oreca efforts.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fairness to the Vettes, when the Vipers were dominating ALMS and Lemans the Vettes were forced to run a 6.3L motor. When the Vettes were permitted to run a 7.0L motor things changed and the Viper stopped competing with factory-backed/Oreca efforts.

Since when is GM fair. They lobbied (ala Ferrari) to use a non-production engine long before it was ever available to the public.

Though I am not a Toyota fan. They are now getting a taste of their own medicine in NASCAR. Someone else with deep pockets to help grease the wheels of change.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If my memory is correct the last year that Oreca/Chrysler were in Le Mans the Vettes were running the 7ltr motor that year. The Vipers still won though the Vettes give them a run for the first time. They cheated just like BMW did with the V8 M3's that Porsche protested against. Anyway you slice it the Vipers were dominant even with the restrictions and the unfair decision to let the Vettes run a motor that wasnt available to the publics until years later.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The certified lap times for the Dodge Viper ACR at the Nürburgring were as follows:
Lap 1 7:42.7
Lap 2 7:35.0
Lap 3 7:24.1
Lap 4 7:24.9
Lap 5 7:22.1 (Record)
Lap 6 7:24.5
You could consider the 1st 2 laps as warm-up/setup laps with 4 hot laps to follow

Thanks for the clarification. I was going off what I read on another site. So it was 6 laps total. Those 6 laps really puts the ACR on par with the ZR1 and GTR with the number of R&D, test and tune laps:rolaugh:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*BUMP*

Any word on when the DVD will be ready and released? It sure would be a nice Christmas present :) And Coloviper's idea of a set of commemorative Rings should definately be worked out too!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an update, Chevy took their ZR-1 back to the Ring and was able to shave a full 4 seconds off of their previous record time, achieving a 7:22.4 time.
Unfortunately for them their new time was still 0.3 seconds slower than the ACR Viper's record 7:22.1 time, which still stands. :cool: Unofficially.

Corvette ZR-1 shaves four seconds at the 'Ring for 7:22.4 lap time - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

When you are the fastest, someone is always gunning for the title.:2tu:

Last I read on Corvetteforums was that this was an internet hoax...Never happened...

Pay particular attention to the last post on page 2.;)
Fast Time at the Ring ..Jan M - Page 2 - Corvette Forum

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting news. But you would think that if a Chevy fan started a false rumor about a faster ZR-1 Ring time, they would have at least posted that the run beat the ACR Viper's record time.
If the Ring is truly closed for the season however it's not likely that any new ZR-1 tests were done.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RNG KING vanity plate number hasn't been taken in CA. I was going to get that but afraid Chevy may offer an aero kit and PSC option on the ZR1 in the future and go back for a third time to get below 7:22. Then I'll have to give up that plate. Of course Dodge can offer a 3.54 ratio or one tuned for the 'Ring and go back to get well into the teens also. So I applied for CLB RCER anyway.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is a seal on the shocks, so if you adjust the shocks and break the seal, you will void the warranty. That is referened in the Road & Track article, as I recall. So yea, use the ACR as it was intended, and your warranty is void. Bummer, eh? Maybe you can change the shocks when you get your car, and keep the 'sealed' ones in case you have a warranty issue. (Don't tell anyone that I said to do that).

The seal only said read the manual before adjusting. Where did you get the information that adjusting the shocks would void the warranty. If that's the case, I voided the factory warranty w/ only 15 miles on the car just by making the shocks two clicks stiffer? How can this be?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the DVD would have some added extra's, and if Chris says we will get one :dunno:...

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, i read there would be a more in depth DVD available about the trip, patiently waiting, hope it's done for xmas :cool:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I get a crack at this first?

First of all, I believe the ZR1 story was just a false rumor.

More importantly.... unless there's another Mumford I don't now about in Viper racing circles...
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/557815-terrible-news-paul-mumford-plane-crash.html

One of us is ignorant here. :smirk:

I'd like to see Mumford also get out there ... ZR1 supposedly posted a closer time:

Corvetter ZR-1 improves its time to

7:22.4! .3 off viper acr lol

Corvette ZR-1 knocks four seconds off 'Ring time - Autoblog

No clue if it's true as some people are disputing it, but still the ACR time is an amazing accomplishment .. nice job!

Kurt

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about have some shirts made up. red and black with the red drivers strip, the "King of the Ring 7.22 Dodge Viper ACR" and the date written on the back with the Fangs and ACR logo on the front. what ya think? would that be allowed??

Reaction score
I knew him a bit and do know of the tragity. I meant more someone like him. He loved his turbo porsche as well. He just seemed like he had a great feel for the Vipers day one. There are definetly others out there, but I would have liked to see what he could have done.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about have some shirts made up. red and black with the red drivers strip, the "King of the Ring 7.22 Dodge Viper ACR" and the date written on the back with the Fangs and ACR logo on the front. what ya think? would that be allowed??

I definately hope so, as well as the ring suggestion that was already mentioned! We as a club should put out some commemorative merchandise :headbang:! Thank you very much Chris for making this DVD possible!