ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to add this for future ref...

quote from SRT engineers

Here's a story you might enjoy...

The ACR that broke the Nurburgring record had 4,000 miles on the street before it was sent to Germany. We used this same set of tires for the first few laps around the Nurburgring. In fact, this set of worn tires was still on the car when we first broke the record with a 7:25. We changed tires and got the 7:22 two laps later but the first set of tires still had plenty of tread on them still.

This thread should be a sticky or time to start a "hall of fame"

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe GM replaced that engine, largely because it was stock.

If you want keep the warranty on your snake, then you should really avoid computer tuning. My '08 will stay stock for that reason.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ACR has adjsutable shocks. Someone said that the ZR1 would be faster "with adjustable race susp" while someone else says that the ZR1 is partly so fast because of it's magnetic computer controlled shocks???

One guy says the TC makes the car faster than a Viper, then whines when the vette loses again????

Not sure why the Viper gets a useless/mileage 6th gear, but I suspect it's because of the 22mpg emmissions rating. Please keep in mind that the Viper wasn't designed to beat the ZR1 or run Nurenburg - it was designed for the street, hence the useless 5 and 6th gears. Wonder if the vette was designed to beat the Viper or set high times at the Ring?

The Jeep SRT8 I test drove had a rating of 14mpg. Any whining about "gas guzzler tax" should be done about SUVs, not sports cars.

Viper wins, again.

Ted

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how does SRT pay 2000ED an hour, ship a car, sponsor the driver, and people then say "no factory support"??? Since when is SRT not a factory division of Dodge?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So how does SRT pay 2000ED an hour, ship a car, sponsor the driver, and people then say "no factory support"??? Since when is SRT not a factory division of Dodge?

At VOI we were told that "The SRT engineers paid for everything themselves and did the trip on their own time. As loyal Dodge customers we hope that the SRT guys get huge raises since they did the Ring thing without factory support or money."

They put shipped the cars by BOAT for cheap instead of paying to hire a PLANE to transport across the ocean. They did it to show they/we are better than the vette/GM million dollar crew? North American pride? I guess Cerebus didn't figure spanking ZR1 ass was worth $1,000,000 like GM spent to kick GTR butt (Thanks, GM for spanking Ricer ass/butt). Thanks, SRT for proving our cars are best/fastest.

Ted

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will take the GTR any day over the ZR1 ...at least its different

but i will turn both cars for an ACR :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The asking price I heard for a GTR was $140,000 - certainly don't want to pay double what it's worth.

I've also heard that the asking price for many ZR1s is $140,000 and I wouldn't want to pay extra markup for a car that got it's ass handed to it by a $100,000 car. Besides, I don't like those other cars at all compared to a Viper.

If I was given 2 GTRs ... I'd sell them and buy new Viper. 2 ZR1s ... a little tougher, but I think I'd sell them and buy a new Viper and a new ACR. Just don't know where I'd get all the money required to pay all those taxes??? Sell 1 car for taxes and then keep the money from selling the other one?

Ted

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$140,000 :omg: ouch i thought something between 85k-95k now !

i do love the GTR but i dont think its worth 85k-95k either

the viper do :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, it's a supply and demand issue. Since they probably lose money building them they only want to build a few. Only 12 GTRs alloted to be sold in Western Canada/Vancouver. The list of buyers was cut off at 12 and there were many more trying to buy. Guess they believed the hype? My buddy was on the list to buy one for his WIFE because she really likes her 300ZX and it's getting old. The GTR is a girl's car, lol. He ordered an '09 Viper coupe for himself ($98,000 Cdn.)

Ted

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The asking price I heard for a GTR was $140,000 - certainly don't want to pay double what it's worth.

I've also heard that the asking price for many ZR1s is $140,000 and I wouldn't want to pay extra markup for a car that got it's ass handed to it by a $100,000 car. Besides, I don't like those other cars at all compared to a Viper.

If I was given 2 GTRs ... I'd sell them and buy new Viper. 2 ZR1s ... a little tougher, but I think I'd sell them and buy a new Viper and a new ACR. Just don't know where I'd get all the money required to pay all those taxes??? Sell 1 car for taxes and then keep the money from selling the other one?

Ted

Yiikes. If Im gonna have to spend that much over 100k for a Nissan or Chevy Id just go buy a FGT, Porsche or used Gallardo...Those markups are ridiculous.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of all that "over sticker" talk is just talk. My Viper tech was putting new brake pads on my '08 ACR and his next customer was a potential buyer for a commemorative edition Viper, a red coupe. The potential buyer was also considering a new ZR1 at a nearby Chevy dealer showroom. He said it was being offered to him by a friend at sticker. I met another guy at the track that said he was awaiting delivery on his new GTR and had paid $80,000 for it. I don't who is lying and who is not but it seems like there are deals to be had out there regardless if you're careful and shop around.

If I could have 2 cars, I would buy a comp coup next, then a GT3 RS or another ACR. I just love the ACR though and I can't imagine any other car being more fun! If you haven't driven one on the track, you have no idea what you are missing!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't driven one on the track, you have no idea what you are missing!
Is that an offer?

If the SRT guys paid for this on their own, then we need to have an event to celebrate and raise some funds to help them pay off the tab. That was a VCA event as much as anything ever was! I'm in! :2tu::usa:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI we were told that "The SRT engineers paid for everything themselves and did the trip on their own time. As loyal Dodge customers we hope that the SRT guys get huge raises since they did the Ring thing without factory support or money."

They put shipped the cars by BOAT for cheap instead of paying to hire a PLANE to transport across the ocean. They did it to show they/we are better than the vette/GM million dollar crew? North American pride? I guess Cerebus didn't figure spanking ZR1 ass was worth $1,000,000 like GM spent to kick GTR butt (Thanks, GM for spanking Ricer ass/butt). Thanks, SRT for proving our cars are best/fastest.

Ted

In that case not only would I say that's a ballsy and proud maneuver on the part of the SRT guys, but it is SHAMEFUL on the part of Dodge! Take some pride in your best creation already!! ***??

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In that case not only would I say that's a ballsy and proud maneuver on the part of the SRT guys, but it is SHAMEFUL on the part of Dodge! Take some pride in your best creation already!! ***??

At VOI X they also said that they are looking into offers to purchase the Viper (plant, design & logo) ... "If that's what's best for the Viper brand and continuation as well as quality maintainance."

Yes, it is shamefull that Dodge (Cerebus?) ignored the ZR1 guantlet and even the puny GTR and R8 challenges when they were put out there. VOI it was Dodge thanking the SRT engineers for "the effort" and support. Might want to think that if Ferrari (rumor that they made a second lucrative offer on Viper during Detroit Grand Prix) bought Viper the cost would certainly go way up, but might not the power and quality as well? Since the Viper is the quickest ... the possibilities are endless.

Ted

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of Mercedes, did anyone else catch the resemblance of the 7:22 ACR lap time on the Nürnburgring to the starting time of a historic Mercedes race car?
I agree with Cop Magnet and RTTTTed though, the mindset at Dodge might have already been aimed at trying to sell the Viper. If they had any intention of keeping it and CAMPAIGNING it well we would have seen an official effort putting a huge HURTING on the ZR1 and as many others as possible. Viper might be selling itself pretty well, but even then it needs some kind of support to be and stay alive.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whenever Dodge decided to prove they built the fastest, they showed the world and left NO room for doubt as to if anyone was close. Banned from NASCAR for TOO FAST an engine with the Hemi, Then the Winged Warriors were Banned because they were TOO FAST for all the rest.

NHRA wouldn't allow Dodge to take home all the trophies so they made a special class for FX cars, Hemi Cars and the Ford Thunderbolt, then the fastest car/engine with the HURST HEMI 'CUDAS and DARTS.

Then Dodge built the VIPER and when they upgraded to the GTS so that they could race in Europe they won almost EVERY race they entered, proving once again that "Dodge does it Right"

Now the Viper is ruled to be the heaviest car in class and has slim chances of winning with 30 and 40% intake restrictor plates.

Not sure, but it should be a HUGE TROPHY and world records for so many cars to be banned from racing because they were too fast!!!???

I never heard of any GM cars being banned from racing for being too fast. Their rear axles are banned from going fast, their Harmonic Balancers were famous for exploding (400sb). Their torque convertor Flex plates were also famous for exploding and caused NHRA to add tons of "safety parts" to be used because the Chevy parts were too dangerous. ZR what????

Ted

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever Dodge decided to prove they built the fastest, they showed the world and left NO room for doubt as to if anyone was close. Banned from NASCAR for TOO FAST an engine with the Hemi, Then the Winged Warriors were Banned because they were TOO FAST for all the rest.

NHRA wouldn't allow Dodge to take home all the trophies so they made a special class for FX cars, Hemi Cars and the Ford Thunderbolt, then the fastest car/engine with the HURST HEMI 'CUDAS and DARTS.

Then Dodge built the VIPER and when they upgraded to the GTS so that they could race in Europe they won almost EVERY race they entered, proving once again that "Dodge does it Right"

Now the Viper is ruled to be the heaviest car in class and has slim chances of winning with 30 and 40% intake restrictor plates.

Not sure, but it should be a HUGE TROPHY and world records for so many cars to be banned from racing because they were too fast!!!???

I never heard of any GM cars being banned from racing for being too fast. Their rear axles are banned from going fast, their Harmonic Balancers were famous for exploding (400sb). Their torque convertor Flex plates were also famous for exploding and caused NHRA to add tons of "safety parts" to be used because the Chevy parts were too dangerous. ZR what????

Ted

Why did dodge stop racing in the 24 hours of Le Mans? I remember they had alot of success, and then Vipers seemed to leave the racing scene around 1999. Did dodge pull out of 24 hour racing (the vette has won like 5 since 2000) or was their some rule passed becasue the viper was ripping it up too much?

OP
OP
V

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why did dodge stop racing in the 24 hours of Le Mans? I remember they had alot of success, and then Vipers seemed to leave the racing scene around 1999. Did dodge pull out of 24 hour racing (the vette has won like 5 since 2000) or was their some rule passed becasue the viper was ripping it up too much?

The viper also won in 2000. So thats 3 back to back wins at Lemans. After they proved themselves as dominant champions. And after they pulled out. Is when the corvettes started to win at Lemans.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yah, the Roe/Hennessey Venom I looked into buying in Florida won 21 of the 22 races it had been entered in. It was one of their "research race cars" If all the "testers" kick ass 98% of the time they race you'd have to figure that something would have to be done so that the Porsches and Ferraris could win - right? So they added restrictor plates with tiney holes for the engine to draw air through to cut the hp in half. Pretty tough to win with only half the power.

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Grailkeeper Herb said it was because Dodge had decided to move their efforts to NASCAR... NOT a smart move in my opinion.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss the Oreca Vipers. Total dominance. That class is boring now as there are no real challengers to the throne Dodge vacated and Chevy now owns.

As for the ACR can you imagine if this was a factory sponcered attack on the Ring? Would be nice to see an ACR optimally setup for the Ring. I think that raw video of how ill suited the Viper is on the Ring and still knocking off a 7:22[:rolaugh:] woke everyone the hell up.

Dodge/Cerberus this is just the wrong time to be trying to unload such a masterpiece of simplicity and dominance. Your development costs of this 99k vehicle is comparatively pathetic and absolutely dwarfed by everyone elses budget for there respective supercars and yet you have massacred all comers. Veyrons, Zonda F's, GTR, ZR1 etc slain for 99k. You guys need to wake up you are about to make a massive mistake. Too bad its all about the bottomline.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grailkeeper Herb said it was because Dodge had decided to move their efforts to NASCAR... NOT a smart move in my opinion.

That and Chrysler talks with Oreca began about producing a new Le Mans prototype if memory serves me correctly.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EVO magazine recently did an exotic supercar test at the Nurburgring track and they got the following results:

Maserati MC12: 7:24.29
Pagani Zonda F Clubsport: 7:24.65
Ferrari Enzo: 7:25.21
Porsche Carrera GT: 7:28.71
Koenigsegg CCX: 7:33.55

teaser:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kg5ixs3FY[/media]Which means that out of those top $$$ supercars tested on the Nurburgring track, the ACR Viper still has the FASTEST production car track time! :D

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EVO magazine recently did an exotic supercar test at the Nurburgring track and they got the following results:

teaser:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1kg5ixs3FY[/media]Which means that out of those top $$$ supercars tested on the Nurburgring track, the ACR Viper still has the FASTEST production car track time! :D

Wow. Wonder if they had to contend with a 25mph head wind on that test day too like the ACR had to deal with:)

avilab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on, Dodge, how can you sell off the baddest street/track car on the road today? Stick it out. And remember, you can continue to improve on this beast with power and other performance tweaks in the years ahead, to further humiliate all other comers.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

teaser:

Wow, that's very interesting!! I did not know about that.

Interesting, but you still can't compare that to the ZR1, ACR, or GT-R times. They had FAR less time per car at the track to really zero in on the best time possible.

I'd actually like to see a test like this done with several cars. Same day, same weather, same driver.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's very interesting!! I did not know about that.

Interesting, but you still can't compare that to the ZR1, ACR, or GT-R times. They had FAR less time per car at the track to really zero in on the best time possible.

I'd actually like to see a test like this done with several cars. Same day, same weather, same driver.

SRT rented the track for 4 hours and only did 4 laps to get that 7:22 in the ACR. Maybe you cant compare the EVO test numbers to the ZR1 and GTR since they had years to R&D and countless laps before they ran there respective times but you sure as hell can compare EVO's numbers to the ACR and draw a reasonable conclusion from it.

Im pretty sure EVO did several laps in each of those cars to get those times. The ACR was hardly at its best btw and dealt with a 25mph head wind so the fact that it still has the production record even with serious runs from these 5 supercars speaks volumes about what SRT has accomplished.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper