ACR 7.22 at the Ring.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps Dodge can improve the ACR with different gearing for '09. How about a 3.55 rear, which would make 5th gear more usable?

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake I never said with tires the ZR1 was faster I just said I think the cars are pretty evenly matched and with same rubber and driver I thought the results would be different. Thats what I think, that doesn't make it true but it doesn't make it false either. Its ok to have an opinion isn't it? If you read further you will find I had an opinion on the ACR I posted in my first response on this thread as well, not a fact just what I think.
I get the feeling if your opinion isn't the same as everyone else it makes some people mad and I guess thats too bad. I do think I am a fair guy and if I thought it was a bad ass kicken I would agree with some of the guys going beserk over a 4 second win on a 7.5 minute course. I don't think it was a ass kicken I thought it was close especially for a course that long and thats all I said. I am not asking anyone to agree! On an average american tracks like watkins glen or fontana or summit point that take less than 2 minutes to go around it would be around a second difference at most which is not much so thats why I feel the cars are very close.

Who is making excuses? Don't mistake an opinion for an excuse. Did you miss this part of my very first post: (As far as the ZR1 thats 2 bad for them you run what you brung and it looks like the ACR was the better package today. I also think if the viper had different gearing it would of been much more dominant as the gearing currently doesn't seem to agree with the rings configuration and to me looks like it hurt the ACR's time, in the ZR1 video the vettes gearing seem to be perfect for the course.)

Did you miss that post? Why would I make an excuse for a car I don't own or didn't race? I just made an observation and to me the cars seem close with actually a lot of room for improvement for both IMO. I am not asking anyone to agree with me as I just have an opinion as does everyone else, but some others still get all bent out of shape and act like you said something about their mom if you don't agree with every single point they are trying to make. I thought these were discussion boards and most of the time discussion requires input from 2 different perspectives, I didn't realize it had to be a viper love fest or I wouldn't of gave an opinion. I don't see why there has to be all the vette bashing or even personal name calling by some jerkoffs? From what I read all the people bashing don't even have an ACR! How many of the bashers actually road race and know what they are talking about when they make inferences to how much advantage tires or drivers or brakes give said car? None? Maybe some of the guys bashing do, I don't know but I doubt it? Then of course everyone knows exactly what the factory did or didn't do to each car, like everyone posting here was sent a personal bulletin from the viper and vette engineers and track guys how each car was prepared prior to running (GET REAL!) Its always been my experience people that actually race their cars usually respect the competition and don't talk smack and if anything savor the chance to experience the other car as well, I know I definately do! Like I said maybe you don't agree with me and think the ACR is unbeatable and thats your opinion, that would be nice but I don't believe it! I have been racing for a long time and I know every dog has his day and there is always someone faster, so I don't talk smack I show up at the track and find out first hand, some of you guys ought to get it out and try it yourself its more fun than talking smack on the discussion boards.

Ok Jamie. I get where you are coming from and Im the last guy on here thats going to be ignorant towards you because we have a different opinion. My appologies if it came across that way. As far as me thinking the ACR being unbeatable thats not the case. I just dont think the ZR1 can beat it. And for now no other production car has approached its handicaped time. As i said before its just that I still dont get why you think a better driver in the ZR1 will beat the ACR all things being "equal". The fact is the Viper needs ALOT of tweaking to be suited to this track. It didnt get that and deffinately didnt benefit from prep etc the ZR1/GTR got. And it still clobbered both despite all negatives going against the ACR including the 20mph head wind on the straight that made 5th useless.

If you get the ZR1 a better driver then lets make it fair and let SRT spend the same amount of time tweaking the ACR for this specific track and than retest both. See where Im coming from? The ACR was developed stateside and wasnt optimized for the Ring like the ZR1. Logically the only way for the ZR1 to step to the ACR is to keep the ACR in its "handicapped" state as regards the Ring and let a race driver get loads of Ring time AGAIN in the ZR1 till he beats or comes closer to the ACR's time. Fact is those 4 laps that the ACR ran was equivalent of a "shakedown" run. If you whooped someones best time on a shakedown 1/4 run they would be burnt toast when you lined up for real.

If a guy with a sprained ankle still whooped you in the 100m dash do you think you could beat him when his ankle healed? I do agree with you on them being closer on stateside shorter tracks. Its not popular to say this here but the ZR1 is no joke despite losing the Ring King title. It still did a phenominal 7:26. Nothing out there currently, save the ACR, can touch it. Different tracks will favor different cars so Ring times only mean squat AT THE RING. Cant wait for them to go head to head stateside. Regardless of our difference of opinion I look forward to seeing what you can do in the 1/4 behind the wheel of both though thats not there focus. A few years ago the though of an American car ruling the Ring would have been met with gaffaws. Now we have two lol.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck

Your used to the older generations. We asked the engineers about damage to the car and they said the '08s were different and handled differently when the limited was hit, they said it doesnt cut out like the old models.

Brad

Good to hear, 'cause there is no way bouncing the limiter is gonna result in faster times with my old ******. Dunno if I'll be able to get out of that mode when I get my ACR. :)

OP
OP
V

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who cares? This is a thread about how awesome the ACR is. Anyone coming in here rattling off every excuse the vette boys can think of will get treated in the same manner. Who cares what other cars he has? :rolleyes:

Being objective is not the same as being contrarian for the sake of appearing smarter than everyone else. There will NEVER be two runs that are identical with different cars. The only true way to accomplish this is through computer simulation, but what's the point in that? There's nobody here that thinks this is the final word on the Ring. We're enjoying the victory for today while we have it. In a week, month, year.... someone else will break this record. But you can bet this run has put everyone on notice. It's an accomplishment worth celebrating over... so go *** on someone else's parade.

I seriously doubt that. :lmao:

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long live the Viper ,Long live the fastest production car on the planet.....................Thanks Ralph and the whole SRT team for building a car from your hearts .

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping to pick up my ACR today (seriously - where's the freak's truck already!!!) but something does occur to me about the 'Ring time.

I love the ACR (obviously) and I'm just not a Corvette guy but at the end of the run the Corvette still had a warranty. The ACR didn't.

I've purchased the car but if I didn't have major lust for the Viper I'd take the 'Vette just because of the warranty. Jeez, I can't believe I just said that.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but wasn't the Vette's visit to the ring a "private" affair? As far as I'm aware, there was no actual third party verification of their time. It was all done and certified by GM. Not that this would suggest that they cheated, but if anything, it's far more likely that GM's run(s) were far better "prepped & tuned" for the ring than were SRT's.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but wasn't the Vette's visit to the ring a "private" affair? As far as I'm aware, there was no actual third party verification of their time. It was all done and certified by GM. Not that this would suggest that they cheated, but if anything, it's far more likely that GM's run(s) were far better "prepped & tuned" for the ring than were SRT's.

It also shows that their level of confidence doesn't match their chest thumping. That in itself says a lot.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you just want to impress the Valet, well then you might want to consider a Ferrari,Lambo,Porsche. However if you want to go fast, very fast, Viper is the ticket. 7.22, spectacular!

OP
OP
V

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this goes the same with GM and Z06s. Theres a post over on the vette forum. C6Z06 section. The thread is ( Blown engine!!). And the guys said that GM will void the warranty if it happened on the track. And his car was bonestock.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ring is not a racetrack. It is an open to the public toll road. Warranty should still be in effect.
As I understand it, there is a seal on the shocks, so if you adjust the shocks and break the seal, you will void the warranty. That is referened in the Road & Track article, as I recall. So yea, use the ACR as it was intended, and your warranty is void. Bummer, eh? Maybe you can change the shocks when you get your car, and keep the 'sealed' ones in case you have a warranty issue. (Don't tell anyone that I said to do that).

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is a seal on the shocks, so if you adjust the shocks and break the seal, you will void the warranty. That is referened in the Road & Track article, as I recall. So yea, use the ACR as it was intended, and your warranty is void. Bummer, eh? Maybe you can change the shocks when you get your car, and keep the 'sealed' ones in case you have a warranty issue. (Don't tell anyone that I said to do that).

Nevermind.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 has been testing at the Nürburgring over the last two weeks for final tuning before production begins later this summer. Development engineer Jim Mero drove the test car. Juechter reports, "Jim commented after the lap that conditions were good except for a strong headwind down the main straight and that the lap was solid, but he felt there were a few places he could have gone faster."

Just as with the recent Nürburgring attempt with the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, the GM development team made some efforts to ensure the car remained scrupulously stock. Though it featured a bar to locate a seatbelt harness, there was no roll cage to reinforce chassis rigidity. The ride height and chassis alignment were stock, the emissions gear met EPA standards and there was pump gas in the tank. The Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires have been developed for production, although they did carry a relatively soft tread-wear rating of 220.

Corvette ZR1 Does 7:26 at Nurburgring

Juechter makes it clear that the ZR1 that lapped the 'Ring was instock trim, with the exception of safety and communications equipment. As such, the ZR1 was wearing the same Michelin Pilot Sport 2s found on the production model, the chassis alignment and vehicle height were set to factory specs and the unmodified engine was running on pump gas.

Gauntlet thrown: Corvette ZR1 laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4 - Autoblog

Last edited:

Ron W.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was talking to a Chrysler Engineer that was at the Nurb and he said they only had the track for 4 hours. He said they had a very strong head wind on the long staight away and couldn't get the ACR going much over 150 MPH. Also, it didn't look like the driver even shifted into 5th gear on the video. The ACR should have a top speed of 177 MPH in the proper conditions. I think the ACR is capable of a better time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala