ACR crash?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not. If you view his other videos, he's had several videos since 10 months ago, and it looks like the gen 3 hood vents. An 06 coupe would be my guess.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Def looks like an 03-06 hood. My question is, when he hit the grass, why was his engine still revving? Its like he was still giving it gas instead of full on braking.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the impression from watching the video that he intentionally was trying to push it off the track. It looked like he was reacting to the corners/apexes. Doesn't seem smooth at all.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Def looks like an 03-06 hood. My question is, when he hit the grass, why was his engine still revving? Its like he was still giving it gas instead of full on braking.

Man once its in the grass might as well be ice there isn't a whole lot he can do?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a T1 Viper, the ACR couldnt race in T1 without being completely neutered. You'd have to put a mega restrictor, and remove all of the aero which would essentially make running an ACR in T1 obsurd.

BTW the engine wasnt revving when he was in the grass, he just added too much throttle instead of gradually getting back on it got him sideways. He was a little slow with the correction and feather though.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! If this guy can wreck his viper we all must be very carefull. I got a chance to talk with him a month or so ago at Road Atlanta for about an hour. He's a very nice dude. He was going to send me his used event tires to for and upcoming D.E. He is one bad **** on the track & won his class at the NASA event.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is a T1 Viper, the ACR couldnt race in T1 without being completely neutered. You'd have to put a mega restrictor, and remove all of the aero which would essentially make running an ACR in T1 obsurd.

BTW the engine wasnt revving when he was in the grass, he just added too much throttle instead of gradually getting back on it got him sideways. He was a little slow with the correction and feather though.

You don't think he is still on the gas when after he hits the gas? I think its pretty clear you can hear the engine still revving up high as if he still has his foot on the gas.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean grass as in drivers left at the start of the spin? I dont hear any engine note as he whipped back across the track to the other side. I doubt he would have his foot on the gas while going sideways at 100 mph.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Could be wrong but my guess is that he had both feet in. just was catching the gas with the side of his foot as he stomped on the brake.

Man that track looks in worse condition than Jersey roads...and that is bad

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David is a fairly accomplished SCCA T1 racer, but this (rathole) track will bite you. I lost it at the EXACT same spot 2 years ago... Backed into the tire wall and rolled on my roof.

I believe his car is an '06 with an aftermarket hardtop.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the Viper was restricted from a power point of view? I cannot understand why this guy could not walk that Vette at any point during the race. I have played around w/ several C5 Vettes, including heavily modded Z06's, no way they stay ahead like that. I hear the guy was a really good driver. Either his car was restricted or that Vette had twin turbo's in it.

I am not stock, but the Viper didnt sound stock either.

OP
OP
F

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the driver's account of the crash..

"I entered the Turns 1-2-3 complex looking to start a fast lap. The track record was a 1:09.9 and I was under that on old tires on my third lap, and I hadn't been on the track since last August. So I was feeling pretty good about the potential. My data told me a theoritical best lap was a 1:09.16, and those laps were on old tires. Stickers are worth about 7/10s, so...

I think I placed my left rear tire 3-4 inches too far left, catching too much of the add-on pavement. This caused the rear to step out to the left and then pitched me to the right and onto the grass. The "uuuuuggg" is from me knowing that I am going to cause some damage to the car. Later in the yell it is from the impact of the crash.

The crash really wasn't a hard impact. Most of the energy was disappated by the rear end catching the tire wall and spinning the car around. I then was launched over something that got the front end way in the air, ultimately landing on the tire wall and the corner worker station.

The car is not "totaled" per se. However, I may be less expensive (all relative here) to start with a new car and add a roll cage and take the race parts off the present car."

:drive:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper's power is defintly dialed down. I think he said 30 to 40 horspower in that particular class, but don't quote me on that.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like left rear hit the grass patch & then threw him...
This was a SCCA National Event.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HUH? What vette?
In an earlier race there was a C5 Z06 in front of him, he could not pass the Z. They both passed other cars, but in the straights the Z seemed to pull him slightly. NO WAY that should ever happen!:nono:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well in racing the goal is to equalize the cars and most times there wont be a big difference in straight line speeds compared to what we see on the street. Of course his Viper isnt stock, but he has a restrictor I'd bet and there is no way it's 528 rwhp. So your comparisons to vettes vs his are very apple vs orange when it comes to straight line since the cars have been dialed down (viper) or up (vette) to make give more people a chance to win.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper