ACR Owners: Anyone lower your car?

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have lowered your ACR I am curious about:
1-How much front/rear?
2-Handling after being lowered on track and/or street?
3-Did you keep it that way or go back to stock settings?
4-Please post pictures from the side.
Many thanks in advance.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi John:

I understand that 3/4" lower is optimal for the ACR setup for street and track use. As a four wheel alignment is required, going back to the higher ride-height is really not a practical routine option.

Hope all is well ..... joe

Reaction score
I assisted Ted May(he did most of the work)in lowering my '99 ACR approx. 3/4". At the same time, we replaced the rubber suspension bushings, with Delrin bushings. After, he corner weighted and did a slightly aggressive 4 wheel alignment. Obviously, the ACR now looks more aggressive. But now, the handling is MUCH better, without any significant extra tire wear. I thought the ride would be a little harder. BUT, it is actually better, with none of the pogo rebounding as before. The Delrin bushings are the reason the ride is more compliant, and the handling is a lot sharper all around. I can just imagine if it was set up for the track, how good it would handle.

Chuck G

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been down that route with mixed results. 3/4" is about right for a stock tire. My problem was going to a 19" wheel and a bigger tire, I added 1/2 to the wheel/tire radius. I think I've got the ride height about correct now. It's about 1/4" lower from stock in the rear with a slight rake to the front, this was required to relieve the tire from banging on the fenders in bad bumps. I think this is the best setup for these street rims, but I won't know 100% until I bolt them back up after thunderhill on the 22nd (stock rims are on the car now).

Here are some "before" photos (drop was about 3/4 from stock):

28FLVR_jun02_1-med.jpg

28FLVR_jun02_2-med.jpg

28FLVR_jun02_3-med.jpg

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill Pemberton wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Keep in mind,that the 2000 models on up have a deeper oil pan, so a 1 inch drop could even present other issues. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad things do happen, anyone at the recent Viperdays event can attest. I don't know if his car was lowered, but John Dearing let someone drive his car at Buttonwillow this past weekend, and the guy took sort of a bit of an 'aggressive' line through the 'esses' section. Smacked and cracked the oil pan on one of the burms and oiled-down about 1/2 mile of track.
crying.gif

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monnieh:
I believe it is one inch higher than a standard GTS from the factory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So am I ******** for considering lowering my car an inch?

<FONT size="1">P.S. Sorry for high jacking the thread, but I believe the original question has been answered.</FONT s>
supergrin.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:
Bill Pemberton wrote: Bad things do happen, anyone at the recent Viperdays event can attest. I don't know if his car was lowered, but John Dearing let someone drive his car at Buttonwillow this past weekend, and the guy took sort of a bit of an 'aggressive' line through the 'esses' section. Smacked and cracked the oil pan on one of the burms and oiled-down about 1/2 mile of track.
crying.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction: That was PMum's car (not Dearing's) with Chad Schley at the wheel
frown.gif

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my ACR lowered by Ted May at Valaya Automotive a few weeks ago. He dropped it by 1 1/4 inch all around, and had it corner weighted as well. It looks decent, but I will go back there and have it lowered even more. Still too much gap, IMHO. The ride quality stayed the same, as the bound/rebound adjustments were left alone. One of the drawbacks, is of course, the scraping issue. I will post pics here in several weeks, once my new wheels/tires arrive. Hope that helps.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will go along with the 3/4 drop. In doing numerous ACRs over the past 3-4 years, we have found 1 inch drops will bottom out on the track. Extremely fast drivers from Paul Mumford to Mike McCann have confirmed this, and the optimal level should be no more than 3/4 of an inch drop. Keep in mind,that the 2000 models on up have a deeper oil pan, so a 1 inch drop could even present other issues.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MtHam ACR:
The cars are setup with the same ride height from the factory.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I read somewhere that the ACR's where an inch higher to help keep from bottoming out on the track. Can not find it on the net so it must be in a car mag I have at home.

I will look tonight as this is bugging me know that I can't find the article. Does anybody have any specs from Dodge that would say?

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all thus far.
Keep the inputs coming and pictures too.
MtHamACR AWESOME pictures
Monnieh how low is the lip on your front spoiler?
Your car does not appear to me to be an inch lower.
Stock is 4" just like the GTS.
ACR Joe all is well.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep ribbing my ACR tech at Dublin Dodge because he won't lower my car. I'm not sure why.

I really want to take an inch out--the wheel wells look REALLY empty right now.

Guess it's off to Ted May for me.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Correction: That was PMum's car (not Dearing's) with Chad Schley at the wheel
crying.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course I knew that I was just testing you guys. Thanks for the clarification.
embarass.gif