ACR vs GTS??

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am debating on buying a ACR ( yellow and black) vs replacing my totaled viper ( blue and white 1997). Does the ACR have fog lights? What does the ACR have that the GTS does not? Could I get some feedback from owners?

Thanks,

Bill

GTSACR2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

I have an '02 ACR and love it. The ACR does not have fog lights although you can buy a fog light kit and it is easy to install. The ACR also has about 10 extra horse over the GTS due in part to the smooth tubes. The suspension is also upgraded, it has five point harnesses in both seats, comes with stripes and there are different rims. All that comes with a cost but in my book it is worth it. The ACR Production numbers for '02 were quite low. Not sure about the other years.

Sorry to hear you lost your '97...but a new ACR could help ease your pain and suffering. If I can help answer any questions drop me a line @ [email protected]

Bob
Medina, Ohio

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, here is an exact list for you:

-BBS Wheels
-K&N Filters and Smooth Tubes-(account for 10 HP)
-5-Pt Harnesses
-No Fogs
-Dynamic Shocks (adjustable)
-Oil filter adaptor -(lowers oil temp on track use, hurts A/C on cruising)
-A/C and Radio delete

A/C & radio can (an virtually ALWAYS is) added back in with the comfort group.

In my opinion, an ACR is not worth the money. You can have the filters, tubes, harnesses, adaptor, and keep your fog lights for LESS THAN 1000 bucks on a GTS. As well, I would never buy Dynamic Shocks or BBS Wheels. (Dynamic shocks are known for leaking)

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,
I would definitely go for the ACR if you could find a clean one. The list on the package is 10k but in reality it is more like 5-6k on the resale market right now. For the 5k you will get all of the above mentioned items, a steal in my opinion. Plus you get the added benefit of the rarity of the ACR package, which is more than just some decals. They made a bit over 200 per year in the 4 year run. That is a pretty rare car. I have had no problems with my suspension and my wheels look awesome but are a pain to keep clean. Fog lights? Who cares about fog lights? I guess its personal preference, Good Luck!

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track the car the suspension is worth the price difference alone - the extra nice looking wheels are a bonus. Everything else can be added to a GTS reletively inexpensively.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dislike the stock rims (on the GTS) and I love the log-wagon ride from my ACR. Plus if you keep it as a long-term collectible vehicle I think it will be very colletible. I thought the exhaust was upgraded as well (different muffler), although I could be mistaken. I hate that my pistons limit me on supercharging, but I love the anti-lock brakes (2001 and 2002), so I guess I will have to live with 460 horsepower for now. I would not hesitate on the ACR instead of the standard GTS (although I am sure this is personal preference).

BTW you can always use your upgraded suspension on most corners, just for fun...

S

SUN RA KAT

The BBS wheels look great, but they also look like they may be labor intensive in cleaning brake dust off of them compared to the stock wheels. If you like the BBS wheels more than stock and the ACR has air conditioning & radio added back on and the price is only $5K more than a standard GTS, then I'd say Get It!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I would rather use the 5 grand for a super charger. A super charged GTS would beat the pants off an ACR. Just my opinion.

sandy3160

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No comparison the ACR is the way to go. It will always be worth more from a collectors stand point.

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have got a Millenium Steel grey 2000 RT/10 and a 2001 GTS ACR. Love both cars as they each have a different personality and draw factor. However, regarding "collectability", I feel the ACR will pull more $$ when the market recovers. Usually, all the high performance "packaged" cars will pull more $$ on resale simply from their limited production nos. I once had a 69 camaro SS convertible that i sold to get myself thru college (many years ago). Today, that car sells for the big bucks as compared to a "stock" model in similiar condition. I'd go for the ACR! Only my opinion, but rarity = $$.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe only the later (2000+) ACR's came with Dynamic shocks. Mine has Koni shocks.
The biggest differences are - suspension (basically a coil-over system), and wheels. The others can be added fairly easily (i.e. smooth tubes, K&N's, harnesses).
If you're planning on a lot of mod's, then a GTS maybe best. If you want "more" rarity (Vipers are already rare), then it's the ACR.

P.S. If you want an ACR with forged pistons, and lumpy cams, then you only have one year to choose from, the first year they were introduced (1999) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine