Adjusting the door on a GTS - Photos and what I did

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is another one of those common issues that, when I searched, all I found were a thread or two that said "adjusting the door is simple, all you do is.....1., 2., 3., etc".

While these are extremely helpful, I felt a couple of photos would help. I guess I am more visually oriented... or as my wife tells me... you like the books with pictures.... (let's all agree to leave that one alone!... :rolaugh:)...

So here's what I did. Again, not rocket science, but I think it might take the fear out of the process for a couple of folks and perhaps save them some money in the process. It's tedious work, but not difficult. What is tedious?.. simply the movements of a fraction of an inch to see a result. Try. Repeat. etc. Until the door closes perfectly. Here are the details and picks....

So first thing... get the gill panel off the car. You all saw this on my car if you read my radar detector install (8500ci in the GTS). Be sure to keep the shims in place. I simply put the bolts back in until I put the panel back. The shims will vary by car and will give you the right gap to the door panel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Below is a tighter shot of the door hinge bolts. There are four. Two close to the center line of the hinge and slightly forward of the other (outer) two. You will loosen three and leave one "snug" but loose enough to allow the door to pivot. Which three? It varies based on what adjustment you need on the door. In my case the door was only sagging a small amount. Only hitting the weather strip on the lower back of the gap but not up the pillar/latch area. In short, I simply needed to raise the back of the door a hair. I would guess, this is the same issue most everyone has. However, check first, think it through.

Before you loosen anything you must support the door's weight. I went the floor jack route.

I placed the jack there and raised it a fraction of an inch more. I am talking about an 1/8 of an inch of upward pressure... no more. I then put some tape on the hinge as a reference point. By putting this there, as I moved the hinge up or down, I could see how the gap to the tape changed. This is how I taped it.

I then went onto loosening the bolts. In my case I needed to keep the door's front to back position the same. So I decided to pivot on the second bolt from the top. The bolt that would give me the best point to pivot while limiting the front to back movement is the second bolt because I wanted to keep the gap to the front taped mark as close as possible. This would be the vertical tape. I wanted to add a small gap to the lower (angled) tape line.

1) I loosened the two bottom bolts first and the topmost bolt last. These three I left tight enough that the door could move but snug enough to make sure the heads of the bolts contact the hinge.
2) I then slightly loosened the second bolt from the top. I want to keep some tension here. This way the door movement can be controlled.
3) I raised the jack a fraction of an inch. At best, 1/8 of an inch further up. I then go back and tightened the bolts.
4) Released the jack and test the door. SLOWLY close it to check for rubs, the latch, ect. If it does not work perfectly, bring the jack back, take the weight off the door (as mentioned above the photos), go back to the beginning and adjust the door again.

I basically keep doing this (sometimes going up, sometimes down) until I get it right. Check the tape constantly. It took me about 6 or 7 attempts to get it right. I did not have to adjust the window at all. In the end, the gap increased about 1/32" on the angled lower mark. On the vertical tape there is, obviously a tiny gap on the lower part and no gap at the top of the vertical tape. Yes, it is that little.

The bottom line... take your time. Make adjustments in very small increments. Test a great deal. Remember to check the window gap as well. Be patient and it's not a big deal.

Once you are done... make sure to double check the bolts to make sure they are tight, put the panels back, your done.

Again... hope the photos and descriptions help...

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm now inspired to finally get after this long overdue assignment. Thanks for posting.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up. I tend to over tighten fasteners - any idea what the proper torque setiing is for these bolts?

Thanks, Ron.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect timing and thank you for posting this. It should be added to the "How-To" section.

virginiavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good and tight would be my recommendation. no need to have 80 ft/lbs of pressure.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently had a Viper tech adjust my sagging door, by simply lifting it with a little force, (without loosening any bolts,) to raise the back part of the door. He said that the reason it drops is because heavy people getting out of the car tend to push down on the top of the door to help themselves up from the low seat. This bends the hinge frame part of the door.

Jerry

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a tonne. This is next on my to-do list when my kids are in school and I'm not working. I also need pictures to help me get the job done. Thanks

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up. I tend to over tighten fasteners - any idea what the proper torque setiing is for these bolts?

Thanks, Ron.

I was going back through some of the threads I had started and noticed I had not answered although I see some folks mentioned some things.

I just checked the 2002 Service manual to see if my '02 copy had some details left out before. All it says is "Install bolts holding door hinge to pillar." ... LOL.... Thanks!.... Not particularly detailed.

I tightened them down well but did not overdo it. Sorry I don't have more detail.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry Scott[CO];3110231 said:
I recently had a Viper tech adjust my sagging door, by simply lifting it with a little force, (without loosening any bolts,) to raise the back part of the door. He said that the reason it drops is because heavy people getting out of the car tend to push down on the top of the door to help themselves up from the low seat. This bends the hinge frame part of the door.

Jerry

I understand the logic... but using the door to "bend back" the hinge concerns me... Wow...

Honestly, seeing the hinge, it's pretty solid. I can see it slip down on the bolts or misalign... but "bend" the hinge... I don't know. Maybe the pin...

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Stuff.

My door is actually too high ... to get my weather stripping to clear the window I have to push down when closing a little bit.

I may adjust it, or wait for gravity to do it for me HAHAA.

Thanks for the help ---

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a quick question. I have just taken this task on now. the reason I did it is because my passenger side door was hitting the weather stripping and causing it to wear. I raised it just a tad so it JUST misses the weathershipping, but now the latch seems not 100% lined up. When I close the door , the door portion of the latch hits on the lower end and then closes properly. This would make me think the door is a bit too high, but if i lower it any then the weatherstripping gets hit again. Otherwise the door looks fine...all the curves look lined up ****, etc. Should i be moving the door forwards a bit...or does that no make sense.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong, or my door opening has shrunk over time. :) I moved the door more forward, and it still hits the weatherstripping at the lower rear portion....go figure. Oh well, keep at the trial and error i guess.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, it is definitely time to adjust both my doors, then replace the weatherstripping on the drivers door.

Regards,
Aaron

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not saying this doesnt work, but for some reason I am sucking at it. Does anyone have a link to the towel adjustment so I can try that one too.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear the trouble you are having. If it helps, there was some trial and error. It was 6 to 8 times before I got it right.

Based on what you are telling me... I would try to "pivot" on another bolt on the hinge. It may give you a "finer" adjustment. Make sense? Perhaps that will do it...

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's all good. I got it adjusted enough that the door doesnt hit the weatherstripping anymore. the door now looks a bit too far forward (to my eye), but at least it's not damaging the weatherstripping. thanks for the thread

KyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luisv, Thank You for putting this information out there. Your description along with Pic's made this clear as possible. I followed your information and now my doors are closing sweeeeet. Passenger door took two attempts and Drivers door only one. Maybe even better than new. Thanks again. JPM

K930

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did this yesterday as well. Adjusted the passenger door. Took 3 attempts and now all is good. Worked perfectly.

:headbang:

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I had not replied. It drives me nuts that I have to set the "subscription" for my own threads.... in any event... I now have.

Glad to see the writeup helped a few of you!

I have to adjust my passenger side door myself now... may do it next weekend..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper