AEM Viper EMS running!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent. Hoping for great results with this, notice on the AEM forum that so far things are looking good :cool:

Olivier Caza

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was about time the EMS would be realeased in a version for the Viper. You will see sick Vipers in about a year running this EMS! It completely changed the tuning scene of the MKIV Supra 1 year and half ago! :laugh:
If you guys want really good tuning with the EMS, go to torquefreaks.com and email Sean...he's an incredible tuner! You won't believe what you have in your hands after he tunes your car!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was talking with Dave Jenkins today. He says this AEM EMS is the *******.

What makes it better than say, a VEC2? Is it more felxible to program?

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would not say that the AEM EMS is better that the VEC 2, just very different. From my understanding the VEC 2 is somewhere between a piggy back system and a stand alone system. The VEC 2 controls fuel by intercepting the stock injector driver signals from the factory pcm and then altering them using a suitable map within the VEC 2 software. The VEC 2 drives the injectors with its own set of drivers . A system like this has some advantages, it should be more simple to tune than a stand alone system like the AEM , and if tuned properly, should allow for all of the obd2 emissions systems to work, which the AEM *** cannot do.

The AEM *** is a stand alone engine management system. This means that it entirely replaces the stock ecu. It is fully programable, and has many features that the stock ecu does not have, such as :
>two step rev limiter
>various auto mapping set-ups
>data logging system
>dual wide band system built in
>configuable knock control
>traction control
>various maping set ups, such as alpha-n, and boost compensated
>and it goes on and on ......

We are the first to admit that we are not expert AEM tuners, but hope to be in the near future. Chris has gone to AEM school and we have been assisting in whatever way we can, the engineer responsable for the Viper version of the AEM *** . The Viper unit has proven to be a challenging project, "SA" the engineer doing this is very modest, but I have to give him credit, he has worked very hard to get this going . It has been an interesting learning experiance for us as well. We are hoping that the EMS unit will be out by Chrismas time, but as anyone who has been involved with this sort of thing, problems can always pop up, even when you least expect them . If anyone is interested in learing more about the AEM unit, I recomend that you sign up to the AEM message board. There you will find enought AEM information to keep you sitting in front of your computer for weeks.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

When you say the AEM unit "cannot allow for all the OBD2 systems to work", what systems do you mean? Do you just mean things like throwing the OBD2 codes (like MIL if you leave the gascap open) or do you mean things like evap and egr on other cars aren't implemented on the Viper?

Is the AEM system "street legal"? I mean is it going to be CARB approved or is that not ever going to happen?

Thanks Dan!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

The AEM unit completly replaces your factory computer, the only engine codes you will ever see with be the ones the AEM unit decides to give you.

Dan admits that his knowledge and tuning capacity of the AEM unit is limited, so I dont expect him to know exactly how easy it is to tune. With a good base map you can tune a car in under 10 dyno pulls.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

The AEM unit completly replaces your factory computer, the only engine codes you will ever see with be the ones the AEM unit decides to give you.

Dan admits that his knowledge and tuning capacity of the AEM unit is limited, so I dont expect him to know exactly how easy it is to tune. With a good base map you can tune a car in under 10 dyno pulls.

Russ,

I was under the impression that the OBDII codes were public info, so I would guess AEM would incorporate them into their system... but maybe not?

I guess the two questions I would have are:

1) Since the AEM unit replaces the factory ECU, does it do *everything* the factory ECU does, such as setting a MIL in case of certain problems (i.e. you have a bad O2 sensor, or a fuel injector is out of spec, or the gas cap is loose). If not, is the AEM unit maybe more aimed at pros who race? I would be slightly concerned with not knowing about codes and problems with the car that the factory ECU would set a MIL for, but the AEM maybe wouldn't detect?

2) Is it street legal? I know in CA they need CARB numbers, and I bet my state of MA is going that route soon also. I guess you could just plug the factory ECU back in when it's testing time though.

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
No OBDII is supported whatsoever- this is from Scott at AEM, so no CARB for you CA guys. I personally have tuned several of the AEM boxes on various cars, and while the hardware is excellent, the software is bug laden. The Viper box will use the new rev software which I've been promised has fixed many of the "killer" bugs (ie. loaded configs are lost after cycling the power).

We've been waiting for this for our TT Viper and are happy it is finally working. I'll post results as soon as we try in out.

best,
Dave.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the codes that you get for the gas cap thing are all part of the OBD-II package. if the light doesn’t work then you don’t have OBD-II. this is the one main drawback of a system like this.... the amount of time and energy that would be required to get the system to actually pass emissions is cost prohibitive and just not practical. every car would have to be mapped separately and then the controller would then need to be sealed some how to prevent any tampering. But like anything, there are ways around being street legal and still driving on the street. How many people do you know that don’t have cats on there cars??

The thing that I find most appealing about the AEM unit vs. all other standalone ECUs out there is the fact that you are not required to modify any of the stock wiring... So come test time, you just plug your stock stuff back in and go easy on it until you get tested.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

There is no way a stand alone fuel management system would ever pass the visual of any smog testing facilities, if they knew about it that is.

The check engine light still retains its functions and it will warn you about failed sensors and such, I am not sure if it will warn you about gas cap being loose. But then again anyone with aftermarket ignition/fuel management on their car is not concerned with emision control.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has never been a CARB legal stand alone ECU and I doubt there will be in my lifetime.

The loose gas cap will not turn on your check engine light with a stand alone because there is no EVAP system monitors as required by OBDII.

The stock check engine light will be used to warn the driver if the knock level exceeds a user defined limit, or if the injector duty cycle exceeds a limit.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, Me and two of my technicians just got back from the AEM tuning class. I just wanted to let you guys know how powerful this computer really is and that I think its going to soon be running the most powerful Vipers in the world. I'm looking forward to working on them.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,
We will be a AEM dealer before the release of the new Viper stand alone system. We will be tuning a normally aspirated (650-700hp) Viper and a forced induction (12-14psi) Viper as soon as the system is out. We should be giving AEM another vehicle later this month for the final
fitment and tuning. Stay tuned, I think this will be great
for all the serious tuners out there.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way to make the AEM EMS to work with a Gen-1 car? I have asked that question on the AEM forum over a year ago. Then, a tech replied that it might not work. Is the problem with the harness? I can splice into the stock harness if necessary, please let me know.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Bell,

The AEM unit will not work with the gen 1 cars, they are totaly different than the gen 2 models. The computer on gen 1 is 2 piece and in completly different location.

They are not going to be making a Gen 1 version, but perhaps you can retrofit gen 2 injectors and electronics on a gen 1.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4