Aftermarket shifter & warranty issues??

softuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
An aftermarket shifter has always been one of the first mods on all my cars....just out of curiousity I called my local Dodge dealer to get their stand on aftermarket parts & warranty.

They said they didn't know if it would affect the warranty if I had a tranny problem,and gave me the phone # to Chrysler.
I called them & of course got the boiler plate answer....."any aftermarket product has a potential to contribute to a failure & may cause claim to be denied".
I've run a Hurst shifter in all my Vettes & never had a problem......I guess my question is have there been any documented tranny failures linked to the shifter?

Thanks in advance for helping the noob:)

Reaction score
We sell a ton of shifters and currently the MGW and have NEVER had a transmission issue related to the shifter. If anything the better shifters will "prevent" damage from happening.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No issues with my Hurst shifter (comp coupe) after 40,000 miles.

If anything, it helps you avoid trans issues by helping you get the correct gear when you are shifting quickly, like at the drags.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just keep the stock shifter and put it back on there if the trans ever has problems, and you need a warranty claim.

Problem solved.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for everyone's information the shifter can be changed out form under the viper which takes a lot less time than doing it from inside the car. this way you will not haver to drill out the rivets holding the rubber shifter boot. All one needs to do is drop the belly pad and remove the rear transmission mount. then lower the tail end of the transmission with a jack. Be sure to mark the location of the transmission mount and bolts before removing them so you can reinstall them in the same location.