Ahhh, warm day, top down, and the smell of....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...antifreeze?? Managed to catch a little sunburn in the SRT when we hit a tropical 75º here today. VERY awesome stuff. Car ran like a top and we put another 100 miles or so on it. Must have been the air, because we saw not one, but TWO other Vipers today. This, in a town where you might see two a year if you are lucky. Really a great day.

What was not so great and a little disconcerting were two things that happened on the car. Neither were a problem, but both were "new" experiences in the SRT for me. The first was a strange, high-pitched vibration in the steering wheel when we were doing a stop-and-go cruise at The Plaza. I then remembered that the electric cooling fan is driven off of the power steering pump and could only assume that it was kicking in and that was what I was feeling. It has been too cold for that until today. The second thing I noticed during these same times and maybe a little bit more, was the very distinct smell of coolant. At first I assumed it was the car in front of me, yet that odor stayed with us as we drove around slowly. Stopped and checked for anything dripping and saw nothing, but the smell of antifreeze was very prominent.

Now the entire time both of these events took place the temperature gauge was rock solid at 200º. It never went a hair above that and I watched it like a hawk. Realize that the normal operating temperature even when it was 35º outside was still around 200º. Bottom line: I wasn't crazy about the vibration in the steering wheel (brain says "WARNING!") and the smell of antifreeze really bugged me a lot ("WARNING WARNING WARNING"), but the temperature was perfect and I couldn't find a thing wrong. The car ran every bit as well as it has and there was no exhaust smoke, white or otherwise. Perhaps it was because the warmer temperatures got things circulating for the first time. I know that fan did not kick in even on the dyno. Strange stuff indeed!

Chris

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

These problems in your SRT Stratamaro are caused by the ECU when you don't call you buddies to cruise in the summer weather! I was having to ride around like a "scrub" in the passenger seat of a Lotus! But 10am on Sunday, my car will return to tear up the streets of Kansas City. The Bikini Babes can't wait. Are you still on LockDown with your Wife? Does your back hurt from sleeping on the couch?

Jerry Dobson

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've smelled the same thing a few times in my SRT.

Another strange thing happened after my dyno run last week. After we finished the second run on the dyno the car boiled over. The engine temp was at or just over 200. We let it sit for about 10 minutes and checked everything out. Every thing looked good. We then ran a 3rd run with no overflow.

They thought maybe someone had put to much water in. I had it checked out at the end of the week when my oil was changed and they found noting wrong.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I agree with Jerry. I was crusing the Plaza yesterday too toward nightfall. Somehow knew you would be there but missed ya. Car (not me) got a lot of wondering looks and a couple yells --- maybe 'cause I clipped their feet as it was pretty crowded. One guy/wife asked to take my picture (maybe it was me), and another told me to goose it.

Haven't experienced either of your problems (referring to SRT). Did notice the sidesills were pretty hot though.

Another great day today!!

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris,

What did you mean by "the electric cooling fan is driven off of the power steering pump"? Thanks,

Mike
NY/CT VCA

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I only drove the car for one day, but also found the sidesills to be very hot. I was trying to do some work on the inside of the car(changing the gear shifter) with my legs hanging over the sidesills and that didn't last long . I was wearing jeans but the heat was to much to handle.

FANGS/Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also were able to do a little of that ******* driving yesterday afternoon, took some winding roads through the hills of KY(the winding roads keep me in check untill the break-in is done), had a great drive. Some kids on a corner taunted me to "burn'em off" oh well maybe next time as we still have a little more break-in time to do. I really had to watch the little woman when she was driving to make sure she was obeying the rules of break-in!

Great day,
FANGS/Indiana

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... the entire time both of these events took place the temperature gauge was rock solid at 200º. It never went a hair above that and I watched it like a hawk. Realize that the normal operating temperature even when it was 35º outside was still around 200º.
Chris

Chris, by the headline of this thread I anticipated that this discussion would somehow tie in to those bikini babe photos.

Disappointed that this was not a bikini babe discussion topic, nonetheless, I'm wondering if the SRT-10s have more accurate gauges than previous Vipers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness