Air Conditioning Compressor Question

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A question for you A/C experts....

The A/C compressor on my '97 GTS is leaking (green) oil from the front/clutch area, but is still blowing cold, which tells me the system shouldn't have any debris in it from a failed/grenaded compressor. If I replace the compressor myself and button up the lines with no pressure in them, am I safe to drive it to a shop to get the system charged? (of course, I wouldn't turn the A/C compressor on while driving it).

I just want to make sure the pulley spinning without the clutch being engaged wouldn't do something to ruin the new compressor.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can do that with no problem. Driving the car with an empty system won't hurt anything.
Even if you try to turn the A/C on, the compressor clutch won't engage with an empty system because of an open low pressure switch.
Don't forget to add oil to the new compressor, as most are shipped dry, or some have only a few ounces of ICE32 oil in them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a $400 vacuum for $125 and gauges for $100. I do it myself and I do it right. I vacuum the system for 1 hour before putting just the right amount of refrig in it. Don't count on the shop being as precise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth