Air Filter Change Advise

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's a late model, bone-stock '99 RT/10 that just rolled over 15,000 miles and figure it's time to replace air filters. I'm considering going the OEM replacement route but I'm wondering if the K&N cartridge as a replacement is the way to go.

I'm not interested in modifying the air box to accept the K&N's. Are claims of 15-20 HP gain true or just marketing hype? Anybody have any experience - are they a straight drop-in, any noticeable gain in performance?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I would simply replace the stock dirty filters with K&N's and do the smooth tubes at the same time. Simple. Easy. And, yes, they do give additional hp and hey....for so little work, why not? I won't state what hp they give because others will have their own figures, but regardless, it's still easy and worth the small amount of money and time to do it. pete the ex glass guy and hot rodder

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops....forgot to say....on your car they drop right in with no modifications to the air box at all. pete

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops here we go again. Some people have had problems with the fit of the K&N. I'm getting a spare set from Roe. That way you can have a clean set to make the swap quicker.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You like Coke or Pepsi?

I think the fit issues with K&N filters was limited to some Gen 1 air boxes. Haven't heard of an issue on a Gen 2 car. K&N are OEM equipment since 1998 on GT-2 and ACR Vipers.

K&N or SB.

OP
OP
H

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advise and words of wisdom. I'll check out all recommendations then make the decision. Should make a good weekend project and well worth the small investment in time and money.

Just wish you all could be so helpful with the other part of this decision. Take on the project of helping the Viper breathe a little easier or tackle the projects on my wife's list - like restain the deck, start preping the house for repaint later this Summer, etc. Guess I'll have to just flip a coin on this one.

Thanks Again