Air to liquid vs. Air to Air intercoolers

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do some people use air to liquid and some use air to air intercoolers for S/C cars? Which one is better?
For those of you that have an air to liquid, do you have it mounted in front or behind the power steering cooler (At least I think it's the power steering cooler)?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton uses a water - air - water - air. Factory turbo systems usually use an air - air Intercooler. I believe that ZR1 uses an air - water - air - water system, but am not familiar with it.

Most aftermarket systems use air to air. Most Paxton systems upgrade their drive belt tensioner and their intercoolers. DC Performance uses a bigger water pump and larger heat exchangers.

Different strokes for different stokes. Different methods of cooling the intake charge. Different designs for different applications.

Roe Twin Screw superchargers do not use an intercooler system they use a water/methanol application to cool the intake charge. Higher hp applications use Nitous Oxide to supercool the intake charge etc.

You didn't specify any reasons, superchargers, Vehicles, boost levels, etc. for the question so I'm not sure how much help this information is to you.

Ted

Reaction score
Air to water coolers are popular because the piping and plumbing are easier than mounting huge air to air coolers and the piping. Most of the air to air, although more efficient also require customizing the structure up front which adds considerable cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang