Alarm Problem, need advice

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The alarm on my '94 has been acting up lately. While driving the Alarm Set light will come on so I pull over, stop the engine and reset it. This morning the car starts and runs for about 2 seconds then dies. I've read the repair manual and tried to enter it into diagnostics by flipping the key to accessory 3 times and leaving it there, but nothing happens like the book says should happen...no lights flashing or horn sound, etc.

Also, when setting the alarm the Alarm Set light on the dash won't flash at all.

I eased over a very tall speed bump yesterday and landed with a thud on the other side...these cars don't have any kind of motion or vibration switch do they?

Before I have it towed to a shop somewhere (gotta find one locally) I thot I'd ask here first to see if there is anything I can do myself. Is there a way to bypass the alarm to make sure that's the problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make sure your battery/ground connections are all snugged down. A momentary blip in battery power will set the alarm. I doubt that is your problem, but it's an easy check.

OP
OP
L

lobo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
carguy, no ground issues, but you got me thinking about connections and this is Florida where anything electrical that doesn't get used much can get corroded so I started digging around. I pulled the left kick panel off and found the alarm module and entry receiver and started wiggling the connectors and as soon as I moved the one on the alarm module the security system set itself. I worked it in and out several times and the car started. Amazing what a little corrosion will do and when I hit that speed bump yesterday it must have jarred it just enough to break the circuit.

I guess I got lucky. When it comes to electronic stuff I have to give it to someone else to repair.

Much thanks for spurring the thought and responding to my post so quickly.