All who said "no" are u now saying yes?

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
92... hard to find, however, I like the 2nd choice

Number 165 is for sale right now, it's just more than I am willing to pay at this time. I think nice examples are still $40,000 cars, so that's where I sent my buy button. I may have missed my window of good priced first years, but I think the window is just opening for good priced GenVs. It's just not one of my gotta have purchases in life. I know the new one is a better all around car than the previous models, but I didn't buy my current one because it's nice to drive. Actually with my current stable of offspring, the Hellcat Charger is still higher on my list than the GenV.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To answer Bob's original question - the answer is still no. $90k
is still out of my reach from a practical standpoint, but even if
it wasn't I am not going to pay $90k+ for a car that is permanetly
attached to a dealership.

Dodge wants my money from here on out then they need to design
cars where I can fix ANY problem (big or small) in my own garage
if I so choose. 2 years in and there are still issues with my challenger
that I need to make an appt for - thats unacceptable...

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I'd come back and add a couple more thoughts on the OP's question.

One thing I have found, which is interesting, is that while Dodge decided to lower the price of the Viper 15K, the owners selling their used Vipers did not follow suit. So, what you have is a situation where, for example, there is an '08 for sale at a dealership that has been the sole owner of the car (must have been a demo), its Very Viper Orange with Silver stripes, it only has 3800 km on it (a little over 2000 miles), and they are asking $76,000.00 Similarly, there are other owners trying to sell Gen IV cars for over 75K (low mileage as well). So you begin to ask yourself, "Why wouldn't I pay an extra 10K and get a brand new Gen V with a warranty and all the other upgrades that come with it, and skip the agony of having to explain to the seller that they are asking way too much for their car given the price of the new ones?" I recognize that the Viper doesn't depreciate as quickly as say, a Vette, or a Porsche, and I also realize that these owners are basing their pricing on what they paid etc., but it is a little ridiculous.

So, to answer the OP's question, if the market remains as it is, and people continue to expect much more for their cars than they are worth in light of the price reduction, the Gen V cars are actually becoming more attractive. Besides, I think it is an absolutely stunning design, and for the reasons I stated above, it really is a very special car. It will be interesting to see what happens as Spring approaches :dunno:

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new Gen V when they opened the order bank. Bummer they tell me its a 90 day wait on a SRT. I have a feeling the
GTC will take a while to get delivery.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Ken! It will be worth the wait.

Last edited:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Ken!

Bonk- Is "fixing any problem in your garage" really realistic today? I for one agree with you (in theory) I love working on my cars, but with all the tech (that is brought forth by emissions, safety, government bureaucracy) I just don't know how it's possible anymore. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but all this extra "crap" started form the catalytic converter and EGR valves and we went downhill from there. Just my perspective, but you're likely way more handy than me anyway.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree, I just think those days are long gone. In fact, of all cars made today, the Viper might just be the easiest car to work on relative to others.
Congrats Ken!

Bonk- Is "fixing any problem in your garage" really realistic today? I for one agree with you (in theory) I love working on my cars, but with all the tech (that is brought forth by emissions, safety, government bureaucracy) I just don't know how it's possible anymore. Don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but all this extra "crap" started form the catalytic converter and EGR valves and we went downhill from there. Just my perspective, but you're likely way more handy than me anyway.

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new Gen V when they opened the order bank. Bummer they tell me its a 90 day wait on a SRT. I have a feeling the
GTC will take a while to get delivery.

Man, as a guy who works for the company, this is frustrating to hear. Virtually any other vehicle will show up in 4-6 weeks, even though our assembly plants are at, or even above, capacity.

Viper production was just slowed, again, and long lead times certainly won't help sales. I hope you order and survive the wait as, yeah, I think it'll be worth it.:2tu:

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to hear Ken!!!!! Congratulations. I think you made a great choice. I have a red Gen V SRT as my desktop background, and every time I look at it I think, "Man, is that ever a beautiful car." As the saying goes, "Some of the best things in life are worth waiting for..." I'm sure the wait for your car will be agonizing, but when it arrives, it's going to be awesome.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of guys bought the G4 ACR because they said 'no' to TC (aka nanny aids) long before the new G5 was revealed. There is no reason to 'upgrade' if you have all the goodies on your ACR already, unless styling or having the 'latest greatest' (really??) matters to you. "Less is more" is a valid argument and one that many Viper owners subscribe to, me included as a G4 ACR ******** buyer. Similar reasoning has pushed the price of 997 GT3 RS 4.0 cars up well beyond the price of new 991 GT3's, although a bit slower and less 'advanced' car. Porsche guys are all ******** that the used GT3 RS 4.0 cars are going up in value when they want one for cheap. Apparently, the market reacts to buyers preferences not just seller pricing on new cars. If I didn't have one, I would still buy a G4 ACR over the new TA because it 'fits' what I want in a track use car. Warranty doesn't matter to me since I gave mine up on the ACR the first day by adjusting the dampers. Driving to work or dinner doesn't need to be in a Viper, I have other cars for that. I don't really buy into the multi purpose car approach, other than I like to have plates for street outings for purposes of weekend fun or test driving when I can't get to the track, not to mention the inevitable 'retirement' of the car to the street. Just my 2c as a track guy. I hope the new ACR is 'radical' like Ralph said it would be, like the McLaren P1 GTR. Let the bean counters be damned. ;)

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on a 15 Y Orange. Couldn't pass on the deal or the fact that you can now mod the Viper. Was looking at the Z06 but decided too keep my C7 Z51 and this new 15 Gen 5. :headbang:

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outstanding! Congrats!

Just pulled the trigger on a 15 Y Orange. Couldn't pass on the deal or the fact that you can now mod the Viper. Was looking at the Z06 but decided too keep my C7 Z51 and this new 15 Gen 5. :headbang:

WeaponX81

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE my Gen V! Picker her up last day of July 2014 and have put 8,800 miles on her so far. Raced the **** out of it on COTA at VOI 13 and will NEVER forget what that was like! The car is just light years beyond the other Gen Vipers. I stepped up from Gen 2 to Gen 5 and can't believe the difference. Really looking forward to getting to pull trigger on the GTC program and use my $15k certificate since I bought mine prior to price adjustment (and for a good deal I might add).

You must be registered for see images attach

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been away for a while, sold my Commemorative Edition vert a few years ago, after purchasing a Gallardo..... Even over there, I carry the banner whenever the Viper comes up in conversation. It was, and still ranks as the most fun car I've owned......

Now, with the price drop, and the new Competition Blue SRT available, I am going in the next few days to "test fit" one. At the new MSRP, I honestly think they are a performance bargain. At a price where I can still keep the Lambo without feeling silly.

Apparently. before lowering the seats in 2014 and 2015, they had more headroom than the Gen 4, so I'm hoping it wont be an issue. I had a 2" seat drop in my previous car, and sat in a Gen 4 with a 1" drop, so I definitely needed the 2"........

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been away for a while, sold my Commemorative Edition vert a few years ago, after purchasing a Gallardo..... Even over there, I carry the banner whenever the Viper comes up in conversation. It was, and still ranks as the most fun car I've owned.......

I recognize your name from "over there". I'm one of the few that have both cars (2008 SL and 2014 TA) and I try to stick up for the viper when possible on LT.
Like most car forums, they are brand loyal and don't want to hear about how the Gen V is a better car by every measurable metric than their pre and post LP's.
It's just about the nameplate and that's a battle the DODGE Viper can never win.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recognize your name from "over there". I'm one of the few that have both cars (2008 SL and 2014 TA) and I try to stick up for the viper when possible on LT.
Like most car forums, they are brand loyal and don't want to hear about how the Gen V is a better car by every measurable metric than their pre and post LP's.
It's just about the nameplate and that's a battle the DODGE Viper can never win.

That's true. I've always told everyone I've talked to, that the Viper was the most fun, and most rewarding to drive well on the track car I've ever owned. The major reason I sold, was more to do with the fact it was a vert than the dynamics. And of course I wanted to try the Lambo cache on for size.

One thing I've found to be true, is as soon as the Viper is mentioned, every catch phrase from 1990's car reviews gets thrown out like gospel. And when people like us point out that isn't the case, and hasn't been since the Gen 1, then the car snob comebacks get whipped out...... it's still a Dodge, park next to a Lambo it disappears.... etc.

But I am excited to try the 2015 on for size. Especially to see if all the low points of the last gen are really rectified, like panel gaps, interior quality, and of course if it fits! I've been cruising the net looking for excuses to not get it, as two toy cars seems really wasteful, even to me... But the more I read, the more I want it. Engines built by Arrow, paint by Prefix, carbon fiber hood, roof, and deck. And a nice interior, in a Viper???? Throw in a 15000 dollar price reduction, and that new blue! Sign this guy up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper