Almost got bit by the snake...bad!

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not have believed it could happen so fast...I was out driving last night with a friend. I was showing him how powerful the Viper is. About 10 minutes into the drive we were at a stop sign. I got on it hard, hit second and before I new it the rear end came around. It was a miracle that we didn't hit a sign(missed it by inches), or didn't go off the road. The road was 20' wide. It finally came to rest after doing a 180. Alot of tire smoke but luckly it didn't appear to flat spot the tires. Let me say I do drive the Viper like it is intended. I have been to two Viper Days events a Mid-Ohio, BUT I have always tried to repect the awesome power and torque of the car. I have had the car two years and never even came close to getting into trouble. A word of advise BE CAREFUL...the snake will bite unexpectedly.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep a reminder attached to the back of my car. (Even though it hasn't yet.)
smile.gif

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you going straight when you hit second? I have redlined and chirped 2nd gear many times with the tires straight, and have never got sideways. I have the 18" pilot sports. My car is completely stock...is yours?

The first time I hit second gear HARD I thought there would be some sideways action...but never..just a chirp.

Mark

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you share more detail how you shifted and got into trouble? I may help others in the future. Did you power shift? Maybe there was some dirt, etc. on the road? Did you start fish tailing or did it just go sideways? Were you going straight? How old is your car and does it have original tires?

As a side note, consider getting some Kumho tires for the rear. They will hold my 630rwhp in 1st gear (when warm) and the 1-2 shift just about breaks your neck, it makes for a much less hair raising ride.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssssssnake:
Were you going straight when you hit second? I have redlined and chirped 2nd gear many times with the tires straight, and have never got sideways. I have the 18" pilot sports. My car is completely stock...is yours?

The first time I hit second gear HARD I thought there would be some sideways action...but never..just a chirp.

Mark

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, is your car fully broken in? Mine will lay a big patch all the way up to redline in 1st, and then half way to red line through 2nd, it starts to grab, so the patch tapers off after a while. Thats with 34 psi all around, dry asphalt, warm day, great condition tires. (In fact, this weekend I was showing off for commoditybroker, with a full tank of gas, and the two of us in the car. We laid rubber for about 100 feet, 1st and 2nd.

With a half a tank of gas, by myself, its even more squirrely.

Not sure why yours doesn't spin em', just chirps em'?

Edit- I better go measure that burn out, soes I don't mistate the evidence. Don't wanna exagerate, you know?

ssssssnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

My car has about 950 miles, and according to the manual I'm all broken in. As long as I dont spin them off the line the car holds the ground very well..no spin at all. If I spin them off the line then I'm sure I could lay rubber as you described. I start off the line a bit slow so I know it has grip, then at about 3000 rpm I hit it and it grabs. I have yet to try to launch very hard off the line possibly causing a spin. I'm really happy I will FINALLY have my car down here in SD in about 3 weeks! It will be in storage for a bit, but I do have in and out privileges.

Mark

I just realized that temperature may have caused the tires to grip so well. It was about 100 degrees outside could that aid that much in grip?

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started with 17" MMX tires (stock), if it was cool out, I could light the tires up in second and third with the clutch fully engaged, just nail it.

It was to the point of being dangerous. But it was cool to play with. Giving rides to friends, I could power slide a LONG way up the street. 45 degree angle sliding and even shifting. WHAT A RIDE! But when it would break loose when I was not ready, pressing the clutch would not always help. It was a icey free ride. But if it was warmer out, then it would hook up better.

Then I went to 18" Pilots. No spinning, no slides, it just goes much better.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I have had this happen only ONCE to me one nite on a 97 GTS... I learned the hard way, and will never make this mistake again...When going for redline into 2nd. gear, be very CAREFULL that you do NOT **** the steering wheel at the same time you bang 2nd!!! It is instinctive to drop your left hand on the shift...chances are Doug GTS had the passenger side rear end of his snake spin out, because of the dreaded hand movement.

Dave

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2BADD 4U:
Guys, I have had this happen only ONCE to me one nite on a 97 GTS... I learned the hard way, and will never make this mistake again...When going for redline into 2nd. gear, be very CAREFULL that you do NOT **** the steering wheel at the same time you bang 2nd!!! It is instinctive to drop your left hand on the shift...chances are Doug GTS had the passenger side rear end of his snake spin out, because of the dreaded hand movement.

Dave

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Makes sense! I'll remember that!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssssssnake:
Vic,

My car has about 950 miles, and according to the manual I'm all broken in. As long as I dont spin them off the line the car holds the ground very well..no spin at all. If I spin them off the line then I'm sure I could lay rubber as you described. I start off the line a bit slow so I know it has grip, then at about 3000 rpm I hit it and it grabs. I have yet to try to launch very hard off the line possibly causing a spin. I'm really happy I will FINALLY have my car down here in SD in about 3 weeks! It will be in storage for a bit, but I do have in and out privileges.

Mark

I just realized that temperature may have caused the tires to grip so well. It was about 100 degrees outside could that aid that much in grip?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Mark. First of all, don't punish that fine looking machine. Keep it shiny, and far away from poles and trees as possible. The best place to practice your launches is in a big, open parking lot. Pumping up the tires to the pressure shown on the sidewall will make it easier to break loose, and you can practice sliding around without so much speed and effort. This will actually acentuate the spinning and sliding tendencies, and is a good training ground technique to become familiar with your car. But please be careful, becasue with the tires pumped up this much, you are really ice skating. Thats why I reccomend a BIG EMPTY lot.

Later, after becoming familiar with how it slides around, and you wanna launch hard, drop 'em to like 30 or so. It wont break loose as much, and you will have all that high pressure dynamic training, in case it does. If you get in too deep, push the clutch in and let go of the gas. This will help if its not too late. Stay away from curbs and poles while you are learning. They come up on you fast!

Yes, I think the temp has a lot to do with it. Hotter is stickier. Cold tires causes a lot of early ownership accidents with Vipers. Here's the scenario- New Viper owner with little experience gets in and immediately goes hunting for a showdown. (Or someone challenges him/her to a race) Mr New Viper Owner doesn't want to look like a wuss, and takes on the challenge. (His tires haven't come up to temperature yet, 'cause he just left his driveway 1 minute ago.) Hits it hard at the light and goes round and round, hits pole/tree/curb/other-car, etc, smashes his nice shiny Viper all to ****. ($25,000 average repair cost, highest repair cost car in the world, by some accounts)

Dont let that happen to you. Its all too common. Get used to launching it a little at a time, until you have enough skill to ride out the slide, in case TSHTF. Use your head. Any idiot can mash down on the gas pedal.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other note -- you mention that you drive around at 34 PSI. Don't. The factory recommended pressure is 29 PSI cold, and the traction will be considerably better at that pressure than at 34 PSI.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only time I worry about the back of the car coming around is if I am in a turn and trying to accelerate out of the turn.
Once I gave a little too much and the back in came around and
almost lost it.
but off the gas and steered away ...all was well again.

The snake can and does bite.
eek.gif

Mario Andretti once said "it is a beast but a beast you can have fun with".(commenting on the viper in a Motor Trend type article)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm, i was going to give my .02 but it seems everyone got it all covered so far. all i can say is ive ended up in tthe about face position several times, usually in cold weather (less than 50 degrees F) otherwise, first to second to third is one helluva rush with redlining and quite the neckbreaker also. gotta luv that torque and power, gotta respect it also.

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer all your questions:

The Viper is a bone stock 2000. Bought in October of 2000. The car has 2300 miles. Air tempature was 85 degrees. The road was clean and dry. We were in a SLIGHT turn. I did not speed shift but did take it to redline in first then shifted very quickly to second then put my foot back to the floor.

What you are all missing is that there was no time to think...letting off the gas, pushing in the clutch etc. It happened so quickly my reaction was just instinct. Replaying it in my mind I'm sure I let off the gas and pushed in the clutch. I know I steered into the spin. Keep in mind we had no damage, didn't hit anything and was only slighty off the road when the rearend came around.

THE POINT IS IT CAN HAPPEN WITHOUT WARNING IN LESS THAN A SECOND. I have always loved and respected the Viper but after this incident I have a new found respect for the awseome power and torque these cars have. BE CAREFUL...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug GTS:
I would not have believed it could happen so fast...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
One other note -- you mention that you drive around at 34 PSI. Don't. The factory recommended pressure is 29 PSI cold, and the traction will be considerably better at that pressure than at 34 PSI.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben, Are you talking to me? Ha, that sounds funny, like- ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME?. I have mine at 34, (when I checked, but I dont remember if they were warm, or what). I'll check the book, and try that 29 cold thing. Thanks!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
and starting at about 10K I noticed the grip decreasing fairly steadily. Early-on my experiences were like yours, breaking them loose was actually difficult without dropping the clutch at ridiculous RPMs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, Can you elaborate on why thr grip has been steadily decreasing? I didn't get what you are driving at there. (No pun intended)
-Vic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine