Almost had a fire today

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the car around for a long awaited blast.All of a sudden two blocks away from my house smoke is shooting out of grills.I stop the car pop the engine and the damn power stearing cap was sitting on the exhaust.I had a towel and just cleaned up slight spill.Thank god it wasn't on highway or it would be over now.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to Archer racing and buy the power steering vent tube. It's only $30 and the peace of mind is great.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you caught it in time Tony.. Bit to close for comfort.
All i did was a adjustable hose clamp around the top with a piece of aluminum faceing down over the fluid bottle so it cant come loose..
Good luck see ya next weekend
Baz :2tu: :2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this a problem on any particular year? or all gen II Vipers?
Its a problem with Gen I's as well as Gen II's, and probably Gen III's.

I got off the track at Laguna Seca with my '95, and was *missing* my power steering cap. No fire or smoke, just no cap. Started looking around, and found it wedged between something down below (headers? - been six years, so I don't remember). Put it back on, and cranked it down as hard as I could with bare hands, and didn't have any further problem with it. I've already put a Roe Racing tube on my '00.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close call..glad you're ok...I have checked mine now for 3 years...It is always TIGHT!

Maybe after that yellow 01 burned down a while back..DC made some change to the 02's.

Dave :usa:

OP
OP
B

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey car guy just ordered it.Thanks for info.Is it easy to install?

OP
OP
B

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's slightly lo what fluid make do I use? Thanks again guys this sht never crossed my mind. Always a first...

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BackNBlack, We distribute the Power Steering Vent Tube to Archer and Roe Racing. Good thing you didn't melt the OEM cap because that is $35 even with the Tator discount. I'll give you a few reasons why to buy this kit over a home solution.

1. It looks OEM if you buy the nickel finish or you can dress it up with chrome.
2. Straps and wires will keep the cap on if done right but look like heck and don't vent the air hole in the ****** of the cap. If you road race, fluid will still spill out. The kit stops it from going all over the top of the cap.
3. The kit uses Viton rubber which is compatible with power steering fluid. Try buying that at Home Depot.
4. The kit uses squeeze shut stainless clamps, not tension spring types that can lose strength.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This version is the opposite end of the spectrum; one end of rubber hose tie-wrapped to the ******, other end stuck through existing hole in fender. Even if the cap comes loose, the rubber hose won't allow enough twise to unscrew the cap.
186PS_cap-med.gif

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch that kink in the hose, cap needs to vent. I'd rather mine looks like this....
3925Reduced_687-med.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62