Aluminum Frame? Has anyone built one?

Reaction score
George, I can't argue with the expense factor of hydroformed materials being prohibitive, but I have read in the Aluminum Association Journal "there are many forms of joining and working aluminum, some of which include gas-metal-ark (GMA) and gas-tungsten arc (GTA) welding, mechanical fastening such as riveting and clinching, adhesive bonding, and combinations of these such as weld bonding. General techniques for cutting are done with many standard tools with careful attention paid to the use of heat." It seems Hydroform manufacturing is best suited to mass production, but there are other methods available for various purposes.

Now to try and address your original question: The Association states "Aluminum has one-third the density of steel, which means a component can be 1.5 times thicker than a steel version while remaining 50 percent lighter. It can absorb twice as much energy as steel at the same weight. Pound for pound, aluminum can be up to two-and-a-half times as strong as steel and absorb up to twice as much energy." PS: NO I HAVE NEVER BUILT ONE....but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and only offer these observations for the sake of discussion.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking in terms of weight savings...any of you enginerds out there figured what weight could be saved building an aluminum frame?

Goods and "others" doing this?

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I think the Audi A8 is practically all aluminum. Engine, suspension arms, body spaceframe etc. Very forward thinking for todays manufacturing. The plymouth Prowler is mounted on a full length aluminum frame!You might check out sites like alcoa.com for more information.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think there would be that much weight loss with aluminium frame. Check out top line bicycle frames. The best weigh in at the 3 to 4 lbs range no matter whether they are made of steel,aluminium or titanium. Each metal has its relative merits but to be able to have a useful service life each must weigh around the same give or take a few ounces. Steel is hard to beat for cost effectve car space frames.