Aluminum wheel (mechanical) maintenance

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have aluminum wheels that are over 10 years old that have been mounted/dismounted at least 20 times. I'm seeing corrosion/oxidation in the bead area and I think it's causing some air loss. I have 8 wheels waiting on an answer before they get reskinned.

Any tips on corrosion removal and protective coating of the areas?

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wire brush the bead area to remove the corrosion and seal with some paint (preferrably clear paint)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have aluminum wheels that are over 10 years old that have been mounted/dismounted at least 20 times. I'm seeing corrosion/oxidation in the bead area and I think it's causing some air loss. I have 8 wheels waiting on an answer before they get reskinned. Any tips on corrosion removal and protective coating of the areas?

HEY DEAN, you cheap-skate dead president !!! WIRE BRUSH???? Time to order a new set of wheels from PartsRack ?! Ill even give you a VCA Co-Founder's DEEP DISCOUNT. (Those wheels are so OLD that I probably drove on em....) The GOOD OLD DAYS are OVER....but its good to see you on here... JB

Reaction score
Not to mention if you are tracking these wheels at all then they have seen alot of heat. All things weaken and break down with use and if you have seen 20 mount dismounts I would assume you track the car. Take Jons advice and replace them because you should!

Mark Jorgensen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery