Am I the only one?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the stock gearing on a Viper was appropriate stock would be fine, but 3.55/3.73 rear gears and a .80 5th and .64 6th are just plain necessities to get the car to where it should have been from the factory. Honestly this ruins the stock Viper for me.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an extensive drag racing / street racing background so naturally my Viper has to make some serious power that only heavy modifications can deliver. I am going to get my money's worth by driving her the way she was intended to be driven.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my car for 3 full months now and so far I love it,but I like to make it my own. before and after pics.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one for 100% stock, however after spending time in my car over the past 4+ years, it became apparent that I need to modify for better performance, ride, looks, etc. My rule is bolt on parts only where stock car can be returned to 100% stock condition. If a stock part is to be refinished, buy another stock part and modify that piece while bubble wrapping the original part.

Some modifications are hideous and some are tasteful. The owner of a car can do with it what they want, but the execution of their vision is subjected to the masses court of appeal. If what they did *****, then it *****. That car with the big wing *****.

There are certain cars you just do not modify though. 1992s, 1998 GTSRs, etc., etc. To do so is s slap in the face for fanatics. To each their own I guess, but I do like the stock look of the Viper over the years and the factory rim choices are pretty good all considered. However someone putting on Motons or a Paxton or an 08-10 Hood. I have absolutely no issue with that. Just keep the original items with the cars along their life.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too be 100% honest..it seems that the average person views a viper the same way they do italions...they all seem to think every viper.cost well over 6 figures...so in a sense it is a rare lower level exotic and stock on a car like this is more than exceptable...But i didmt buy my vipers for the exoticness personally....i bought because the 40k i paid for my 99 rt10 or 60k i paid for my 03 srt10 was the koolest and most powerful best handling car i could get for my specific price point...if i could afford a brand new acr or zr1 or fgt i would have one......but what i can afford is to take this amazeing platform i get in my used viper purchase and add mods that will take it to or past acr/zr1 performance. So for my purposes of wanting the best platform for my price modding makes 100% perfect since to me

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Body-wise, I feel Vipers are about perfect. No need for custom paint, other than factory looking themes. The OEM stance and ride height is awful though, the wheel gaps are huge. I'm thinking the RAM design team handled that for Dodge. Looks better on the trucks though. All Vipers look better with a lower stance and better wheels. Nothing makes me yawn more than seeing a stock Viper on stock wheels, unless it is an ACR. For every awfully customized Viper I've seen, I'd say I've seen at least 10 nicely done ones.

As for performance modifications, only the 08+ cars would get a waive from me on adding more. The rest of us actually drive pretty slow cars by today's standards. My stock Cadillac CTS-V could give most stock Vipers a run for their money, which is kinda sad. I feel stock (pre-08) Vipers are slow now, they were fast in 2004.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only stock component in my driveline, on either car, is the block. It is even bored. One does have a modified gen 3 intake. These cars aren't fast enough. 4 digit rwhp ftw :)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Body-wise, I feel Vipers are about perfect. No need for custom paint, other than factory looking themes. The OEM stance and ride height is awful though, the wheel gaps are huge. I'm thinking the RAM design team handled that for Dodge. Looks better on the trucks though. All Vipers look better with a lower stance and better wheels. Nothing makes me yawn more than seeing a stock Viper on stock wheels, unless it is an ACR. For every awfully customized Viper I've seen, I'd say I've seen at least 10 nicely done ones.

As for performance modifications, only the 08+ cars would get a waive from me on adding more. The rest of us actually drive pretty slow cars by today's standards. My stock Cadillac CTS-V could give most stock Vipers a run for their money, which is kinda sad. I feel stock (pre-08) Vipers are slow now, they were fast in 2004.

Id have to somewhat disagree...From what Ive read a CTSV in stock form is a max of 116-118 mph Vehicle. While a GTS is a max 119-121 mph vehicle and a gen3 is a max of 121-123 vehicle..

I feel confident that a GTS will slowly walk away and a gen3 will have a slow jog away..Being that they came out 15 years and 8 years ago respectively. And they are still faster..

Dont get me wrong a CTSV is a awesome machine. But I think its more comparable to a C5Z06 than a gen2 or gen3 viper

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id have to somewhat disagree...From what Ive read a CTSV in stock form is a max of 116-118 mph Vehicle. While a GTS is a max 119-121 mph vehicle and a gen3 is a max of 121-123 vehicle..

I feel confident that a GTS will slowly walk away and a gen3 will have a slow jog away..Being that they came out 15 years and 8 years ago respectively. And they are still faster..

Dont get me wrong a CTSV is a awesome machine. But I think its more comparable to a C5Z06 than a gen2 or gen3 viper

I have personally witnessed a V walk a GTS. I walked my bumble bee in my Duramax for God's sake. Nine couldn't be more correct here. The bar has been raised, and any stock SRT or GTS really isn't all that fast.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow very surprising. Last I checked I saw one hit 120 mph with the pulley change..I was thinking..Well Viper performance after the pulley change..Let alone stock..

But yes I gotta agree..120 for a stock GTS or 122 for a stock SRT10 is yesterdays news...The porshe 911TTs...new Viper...ZR1...new gallardo...new F458..ALL 130 MPH capable in stock form..

130 is the new 120..Kinda blows my mind when I think that a 2009 ZR1 vette will trapp 10 mph higher than a 2006 coupe/vert..But were the ZR1 will hit 130-133 with great driving the 2006 Viper will hit 120-123 with good driving.

Time marches forward..gotta mod to keep up or sell and get the newest viper.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some quick research showed that the ctsV needs mods to run with a stock SRT10...

With the hennessy pakage they only run high 11's at 121-122 mph..basically stock gen3 times..The world record for a modded one is only 11.5 at 124 mph...The record for a STOCK gen 3 is 11.5 at 122 mph..But other stock gen3's have went 123-124 mph..

The old vipers arent makeing headlines performance wise anymore stock. But dont completely write them off

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idunno, but I may be a little jaded, but I've spent the last 10 years on sportbikes of all kinds and sizes, so even fast cars don't feel especially fast to me.

But then again, I've never been in a turboed G or Viper either. Been in a ZR1 and didn't find it especially earth shattering, although definitely faster than my Gen 3.

A Veyron is as fast 0-60 as any of the new crop of liter bikes, but I doubt I'll ever experience that one either.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 2003 slightly modded: Mopar controller, Mopar race exhaust, etc. Car is WAY fast enough for me. Heck, I can get myself into trouble with my Charger SRT8, which is stock except for exhaust, let alone the Viper!:drive:

Even Gen I Vipers, at 400 hp and 450 lb-ft, can STILL run with most (and beat many) cars on the road today. That being said, the current crop of muscle cars (CTSVs, Shelby Cobras, etc) are amazing in what they will do off the factory floor, that will meet or beat dedicated sports cars (including Vipers) of just a couple years ago. However, I don't think we Viper owners have anything to worry about - our cars are still PLENTY fast, by anyone's standards.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an extensive drag racing / street racing background so naturally my Viper has to make some serious power that only heavy modifications can deliver. I am going to get my money's worth by driving her the way she was intended to be driven.

Yes,that works for you,and it is what you should do! Have fun doing it. I don't do any racing but i like driving it up and down the roads and goosing it a little once in a while to feel the power,but i never take foolish chances on the highway. I just love the car as is with minor mods.Works for me. Just how it feels cruising.If i were going to drag race it i would definitely have to soup it up.I personally don't believe it was made just for racing though. :drive:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, you cannot use trap speeds as a deciding factor when comparing two different weight classes of vehicles. Keep in mind the CTS-V weighs in at 4200 lbs or so. It simply takes longer to get moving from a start than a Viper does. On the highway however, it is a different story when both vehicles are already in motion. My CTS pulls very hard from a roll, but is kind of a slouch from a stop.

I have a buddy with a stock GTS, maybe we will line them up for some testing. The Caddy goes 11.9 stock at the track. With all that weight.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know whats cool if anybody ever attended one is the Factory Appearing drag races. Those cars are so cool. Thats what I like and thats my plan for my B/W GTS, not to that extreme but close. The only visible mods that I have is the shifter knob, smooth tubes,and soon to be exhuast. Everything will be reversible though.

But the beauty of hot rodding is making it your own and sticking it to the man :usa::D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast is fast but the ultimate cars that people want, need to have looks as well. For that all GENs of Vipers will do well as an overall. I mean as stupid as this sounds I still feel an only 1989 Mustang 5.0L LX coupe is still a very fast car. I had one in High School and it could light them up any time I wanted. Felt very strong and I was just fun to drive at any time. It would get absolutely mutilated today by what is coming out.

Hey a Porsche Panamera Turbo with PDK and launch control was the fastest car I have ever felt I was going 0-60 in. It was insane the torque and seat set back and hook up like no other car out there but if I owned one, I would need a custom made bag over my head to drive it because the car was is damn ugly.

I think the Vipers are just fine and an older Gen 1 is just perfect the way it is. Beleive me, when electronics take over the auto and the Viper in the future, people will still gravitate to the simplicity of the old GENs. I would not right any of them off.

Actually fast and "feeling fast" to the driver looking just for fun is the same thing. Racing is a whole different story as that is timed, but not everyone races.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idunno, but I may be a little jaded, but I've spent the last 10 years on sportbikes of all kinds and sizes, so even fast cars don't feel especially fast to me.

But then again, I've never been in a turboed G or Viper either. Been in a ZR1 and didn't find it especially earth shattering, although definitely faster than my Gen 3.

A Veyron is as fast 0-60 as any of the new crop of liter bikes, but I doubt I'll ever experience that one either.

If you're ever in NC let me know. I'll show you what it's like to have a car faster than a bike :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187