American Spirit Benefit Viper

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car along with the matching helmet signed by the top 8 drag racers barely auctioned off for $80,000 today. The last $5,000 seemed to come from someone with pity. How much did Dodge spend on this? People were laughing at it. Very patriotic, but come on. I'm Christian, but I don't have a mural of Jesus on my hood.

JH

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John H:
This car along with the matching helmet signed by the top 8 drag racers barely auctioned off for $80,000 today. The last $5,000 seemed to come from someone with pity. How much did Dodge spend on this? People were laughing at it. Very patriotic, but come on......JH <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the MSRP is about $72k, and the work was almost certainly donated. Who can say what Dodge's internal costs are? Certainly way less than dealer-invoice.

But meethinks you missed the point with 'spending' concerns:

What D-C donated to relief efforts makes the other auto mfgrs's pale in comparison. This Viper Spirit project let the employees and D-C vendors play a direct role, right down to CAAP, and even the VCA. It was "WORTH" far more than it cost.

And the dude with a 1-of-1 Viper got his money's worth.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John H........ Not sure where YOU were on Saturday afternoon, but I was with the car at BJ, and accompanied it on-stage for the auction. After spending almost several hours with it prior to the sale, along with numerous other VCA officers and directors, I did not hear even ONE negative comment about the paint OR the car...... but I DID hear HUNDREDS of positive ones.

Also, for what it's worth, I also happened to be on a plane Sunday night with one of the unsuccessful bidders for the car, and he told me he was later sorry he did not go higher to get it. He wasn't laughing.

Trust me here.... no one gets laughed at for donating this kind of effort to charity. It was a beautiful car and not "over" done. Thanks for doing that Dodge. Some of us REALLY appreciate it.

Wing King
VCA Southwest Zone Director