another mag test CD. viper vs vette

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sween, for the first time since the Viper rolled off the assembly line in 1992, the Vette has the edge. Congrats to GM, and it only took 13 years to do it. During that 13 years, how many Viper owners trolled over to the Vette web site and gloated like a smug little child? You have no class. We are all aware of the Vettes performance, and I'm sure if you asked any Viper owner on this site they'd say the new Z06 is an incredible car. Few cars produced today do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, regardless or price. If the Viper engine were modded to the extent of the Z06, I seriously doubt you'd be so arrogant. The plain and simple truth is GM got tired of seeing Viper tail lights and did something about it. I think this little cross-town rivelry is good for both cars. Where do you think the Corvette would be today if it weren't for the Viper?

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sween, it's really not all about how fast your car is. There is always someone faster. There are mustang's and camaro's that will blow the doors off stock vipers and the new Z. Owning a Viper means more than that, and you still smash 99.9% of every other car on the road.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Noble M400 does 0 to 60 in 3.5 and beats EVERYTHING at the track with a 3 liter turbo. I would it buy well before I would buy the Vett but I have a Viper and love it. Now if I had an extra 80k, then I would add the Noble or a few Ducs. 999R comes to mind.

Herc :usa:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Sween, It's time you moved on to a different topic. DC obviously is aware of the Z06 and has a response planned. Losing sleep and pulling out your hair over this issue will get you nowhere. Enjoy your Viper because it will always be a thirill ride and because there are millions of people that still wish they could have one.

Competition is healthy and I for one look foward to buying faster Vipers as time goes by.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Sween, It's time you moved on to a different topic.

Sween, PLEASE take what this man says VERY seriously. Who cares if it didnt beat the Z06, the FORD GT or any other car.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares if it didnt beat the Z06, the FORD GT or any other car.

I care, but I'm willing to give DC a chance to make amends.

I care too, but it not being on top in all of these tests doesnt make me want a Z06 over a Viper. I do agree that DC should do something about it, but we all know that the Viper is a great sports car and we dont need it to win some magizine tests to prove that.

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well put Austin. I just don't know why everyone is going ******* over the Z06. I'm going to give props to Chevy for finally meeting the Viper's match..but FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE GIVE IT A REST!!!!!

If it is such a difficult issue for you people to grasp, then please leave now, sell your Viper, and buy a stupid ugly vette so you can be just like everyone else. I for one will continue to love the Viper for what it is and no ******* corvette will ever change that...no matter what the performance specs look like.

:RANT OVER:
:usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares if it didnt beat the Z06, the FORD GT or any other car.
I care, but I'm willing to give DC a chance to make amends.
I care too, but it not being on top in all of these tests doesnt make me want a Z06 over a Viper. I do agree that DC should do something about it, but we all know that Viper is a great sports car and dont need it to win some magizine tests to prove that.

In that case I agree. I don't really care about the bench racing and rag claims. The real test will be in the real world and if the SCCA eliminates Viper restrictions.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No sween, you do what you want to do. Just grow some balz and don't back down when the heat gets turned to high. I feel ashamed that the Z06 is truly a faster car (not just a little or "the Vipers match" as some above have stated. The ONLY hope is that the guys who make the big decisions at DC feel the same and are working VERY hard to regain the bragging rights. They SHOULD have been working on this WAY before now. The rumors only started two YEARS ago....

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys should cut Sween some slack. He posts here regularly with positive comments on the Viper. Alot of folks awhile back said, wait until both vehicles were tested at the same time and now they are so he's just posting the results from the mags.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are the vette people backing sween? I think this sends a message.

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not speaking directly towards sween on this Z06 vs Viper matter...nor am I speaking towards any individual. I am speaking towards everyone. I don't care who is talking about it. But I find it sad that everyone is going on and on about the damn corvette and how much better it is -- in a VIPER FORUM. Yeah, I agree that DC should have done (and should still do) something about this...to place the Viper back where it belongs. But like I said in my earlier post...if this entire ordeal is that big of a deal to everyone, then leave. To me, the fact that the Viper has the performance that it does is just a bonus to every other aspect of the car. I'm sick and tired of coming in here and every other post is "Z06 this" and "Z06 that"...

Go to the vette boards if you want to talk about the vette being the superior car. If you would like to talk about the Viper, then please, continue to do so. Just don't talk smack about it. I'm sure most people here will agree with me on that. Just think back to the time when you got your first (or only) Viper...remember how happy you were? If you were not, or don't care, then you are in the wrong place.

2k1droptop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When and if DC finally comes out with a new Viper that beats the Z06, I wonder how many people will post about it? I agree the topic has been beat to death, but unfortunately Viper has nothing new to talk about.
I guess we can debate which car looks better, that has not been beat death.

Waiting for spring so all sports cars can get back on the road in Michigan.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres another one you can see what the numbers are. the viper suprisingly did great in the 0-60 getting 3.8 seconds. which is the best ive seen yet. but the vette did better. cd isnt always the most accurate.(mt is more accurate). well were just gonna have to see what R/T gets.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1219434&page=1&pp=20
After all the hype and Magazines tests, I can't wait until one comes in my rear view mirror ready to hand me my A$$....
I've chosen my weapon :D ....

You must be registered for see images

97 VIPER GTS
HEFFNER TWIN TURBO
:eek:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of coming in here and every other post is "Z06 this" and "Z06 that"...

Aint that the truth. I wonder how many Viper trolls have been shoving it down the Vette's throats on their boards for the past 13 years? I know I wasn't over there.

LOL I guess it's a way for them to finally dish it back. Short-lived as it will be.

BTW has the SCCA lifted all those Viper restrictions yet?

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you expect with about 3 million Vette owners out there? With that many of them there are bound to be a handful that are big enough *sses to troll on the Viper board and be jerks.

I've owned several Vettes. Nice cars. Several of my friends own them. Nice people. I'm just saying that there are 100 gazillion of them and if even a tiny percentage of them are childish jerks then there will be enough childish jerks to overrun the Viper board.

Dirk

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
poor sween. I don't think he is really trying to stir the ***, more just being really infatuated with teh Viper. Of course he is trying to find some ways that it is better than the zo6. Personally, when I was 17, I was too busy doing anything illegal I could think of, rather than dreaming about a great American sports car. I understand it can get a little redundant, but geez..he is just a young, maturing, enthusiast.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just think about it? You guys have hit it right on the head.
Why would a Corvette guy even come on to our website except to make a pain in the A$$ out of himself unless he also owned a 2005 SRT 10 Viper like I do and a Vette which I also own. The Viper is a superior car I can judge, I own both.I also sat in and drove a new Z06 this week just to compare, I don't like it. It doesn't look as good as my Viper, the seats are really lousy and uncomfortable, and don't go around a turn real fast or you won't be sitting in your seat!!!!!!!!!!! No bolsters to speak of!!!The clutch pedal also has a lousy feel I hated it, You have no idea when it will engage aLa European Style. BY the way I also love my vette and wouldn't part with it, but it definitely sits better than the new ZO6 ( I have the sport seats). Hows that for progress! There is a lot more to a car than speed guys, if that weren't the case we all just buy a Rocket Sled!!!!! They're available for $25,000!!!

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to but in, but it doesnt look like there are very many stock Vipers mine isnt. So the odds of a Z06 running into a stock viper on the sreet are slim . From what I read It will come down to driver . It looks like some of you guys have owned Vipers for awhile and are probably excellent drivers.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of coming in here and every other post is "Z06 this" and "Z06 that"...

Aint that the truth. I wonder how many Viper trolls have been shoving it down the Vette's throats on their boards for the past 13 years? I know I wasn't over there.

LOL I guess it's a way for them to finally dish it back. Short-lived as it will be.

BTW has the SCCA lifted all those Viper restrictions yet?
Chuck, you have a point. Imagine being a Corvette person and along comes the Viper that for 13 years has literally stolen the spotlight in the American muscle car market. 13 years of their friends asking them if they would upgrade to a Viper. Finally a new Z06 comes out and they are filled with life again.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, the guy posts magazine results and this is the response it gets? When a person does this, it's usually because they are hyper-sensitive due to having low self-esteem. Is everyone who is ragging on sween suffering from some type of hyper-vette-anxiety?

If you don't like the thread, don't post, is this your first day on the net?

Sween post away.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For the record, I wasn't ragging on sween. Sween's posts have been very favorable to the Viper and it is clear he's a Viper lover and not a Vette troll.

I was pointing out that there are numerous posts on here about the Z06. They are either 1. "The sky is falling, the Viper program is dead, DC hates Americans blah, blah, blah,"; or 2. "Viper *****, it is slow, Vette rulz, Vette is cool, Vette is blah, blah blah."

Sween posted numbers that might be interesting to a Viper owner, but then that post was followed with lots of #1 and #2.

Dirk

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When and if DC finally comes out with a new Viper that beats the Z06, I wonder how many people will post about it? I agree the topic has been beat to death, but unfortunately Viper has nothing new to talk about.
I guess we can debate which car looks better, that has not been beat death.

I know the new Z06 is faster than a stock Viper. The Z06 is quite a car. With that said, if and when the Viper gets a HP bump and goes past the Z06 will I be starting threads on the Vette board... No because for 13 years the Viper has been faster so it is old news. Will we all talk about it here sure we will, I just doubt many Viper owners will troll over to point out the swing in power.

With that said, I like Vettes, I drove mine to work this morning and it is a great daily driver.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally picked up the magazine. Nice article, with nice pictures. The Viper looks amazing, very menacing and muscular, the vette looks like a “cereal-box toy” by comparison. Unfortunately the snake trailed the vette in every speed category.

Some quotes:

“Just look at the thing(Viper). It’s testosterone on wheels. From the 13.6-inch-wide rear tires to the never-ending hood, there’s so much attitude that one test driver said ’ This car makes me nervous’.

“Given the choice between the two of them on the track, all of us preferred the Viper. We scored the Viper‘s handling a 10 out of 10 and gave the ZO6 a 6.”

Apparently we just need to loose some pounds. The vette was quicker because of its better power-to-weight ratio (6.2 for the vette vs. 6.8 for the Viper). According to them the Viper was the better track car, better suspension, more stable, more predictable, “a real sweetheart on the track” to use their words.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see.The touchy handling car that requires a very good driver and eats the other cars lunch is the corvette and the viper is the easy to drive car.How times have changed and the shame of it all.Can more cup holders and an automatic transmission be far behind?How about a luxo 2+2 version?SRT-10 minivan anyone? GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4