another speaker question

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I hate to start a new thread on a much talked about topic as much as the next guy, however I DID perform a search and still need your input. It's time for me to change the speakers.

1. I have read on here that the stock door speaker size is 5 1/4 and that 6 1/2 will require modification to the housing in the door panel to fit. Crutchfield tells me that 5 1/4 will NOT fit and that I need to get 6 1/2's...what gives?

2. Most door speakers come as 2 ways or 3 ways now-a-days. If I get a 2 way speaker, I have read conflicting reports that it will kill the functionality of the existing tweeter in the door. True or false? I really like having a dedicated tweeter and don't want a 2-way to kill that.

Thanks in advance.

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go 6.5 components in the door and call it a day. After consulting a few audio shops im going with high end jl components in the doors and a single 10 jl w3

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi APGTS,

do you know how much modification (if any) is needed to get 6.5's into the door housings?

LifeisGood summed it up with the pic. . different components vary in size, The alpine type Xs picture are on the bigger side for components so id imagine thats the worst case scenario. . . defiantly go with a quality set of components and decent amp. Only 1 set of speakers, do it right

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all that information guys. I took apart my rear speaker and saw that the foam surrounding the paper cone had deteriorated and shredded in places, probably the cause of the newly horrible sound quality. I just off the phone with Crutchfield and picked up a set of Boston Acoustic door speakers + tweeters and a 6.5" Kicker shallow mount subwoofer for the rear center speaker. Crutchfield is such a great company, their rep searched through all their databases for viper specific installation notes and scoured their database for a subwoofer/rear speaker that would in the stock space. So excited to hear things I have never heard before.

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all that information guys. I took apart my rear speaker and saw that the foam surrounding the paper cone had deteriorated and shredded in places, probably the cause of the newly horrible sound quality. I just off the phone with Crutchfield and picked up a set of Boston Acoustic door speakers + tweeters and a 6.5" Kicker shallow mount subwoofer for the rear center speaker. Crutchfield is such a great company, their rep searched through all their databases for viper specific installation notes and scoured their database for a subwoofer/rear speaker that would in the stock space. So excited to hear things I have never heard before.
what kinda amp did you go with?

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok just keep in mind the speakers are really going to be under driven & might not sound that good.. not sure what the factory amp is rated at but my car came with mb quart 2 ways that are getting probably 18 watts each rms from the jvc head unit (50x4) and sound like garbagee

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so I got the new components, test fitted the subwoofer (rear center speaker) and am trying to now mount it. The screw holes do not line up with the stock positions so I tried to drill some new holes, however the drill bit snapped while trying to get through the plastic enclosure...whats the deal here? Do I need some special bit that only drills through whatever magic material this rear center enclosure is made of?

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so I got the new components, test fitted the subwoofer (rear center speaker) and am trying to now mount it. The screw holes do not line up with the stock positions so I tried to drill some new holes, however the drill bit snapped while trying to get through the plastic enclosure...whats the deal here? Do I need some special bit that only drills through whatever magic material this rear center enclosure is made of?

Did you get the Kicker sub installed and if so how does it look? I am debating between the 6" JL sub and the 6.5" Kicker sub. I don't like the extender ring that has to be added to accomodate the depth of the JL sub.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave