Another Towing Viper Uhaul Thread / Question

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I opted to start a new thread vs. posting to a much older one and I have read every thread I could find about towing a Viper on a Uhaul. Situation is I moved about 1000 miles away and need to get my car down here, I prefer to tow my own car vs throwing the keys to a transport company, just the way I am. I know a newer model Uhaul trailer will work fine as many have done it but what I can't seem to find is any consistency on is the "sandblasting" effect of being on the trailer. Some people say they ruined windshields and others say it is fine, I don't see how that is, I figure it either happens to them all or something else maybe caused the damage? Anyway I'm going to be driving a Uhaul truck (17') as well and I'm wondering if having the rear wheels so far under the truck will make this a non-issue, does anyone know? I've also seen posts where people wrapped their car in wrap but I think that could be an issue if it starts to unravel so I'd rather just not have anything on it if possible. So I guess I'm hoping enough people have done this that I can get some good advice on how to protect the car (or if it is even needed on this setup) from any damage. Is the only places you truly have to worry about is the front facia and windshield and mirrors? I've looked for other trailer options but besides buying one for a 1 time use I can't find anything but Uhaul. Even if I could find one they would want it returned which I can't do. And to those that will say to just use a transport company, I get what you are saying, and that is option B at this point. I don't like the thought of a transport company moving my car several times on and off. So really would just like to hear from those that have done this before and their experience, thanks in advance.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I know someone that had the same worries about their shinny new Charger. He used blue painters tape

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I read about that too, but I guess I'm thinking that maybe b/c I'm using the 17' Uhaul truck as well it may be a non issue. Here is a dimensional view of the truck, you can see how far forward the wheels sit and they have good size mud flaps, wouldn't that stop anything damage from the tires throwing things up on it? I'm thinking maybe the people that had damage used a different vehicle like a higher truck without mudflaps or something possibly?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It would make ME feel better if you had some built in protection on the front end...some type of fairing.

You must be registered for see images

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I just finished moving in May. Didn't pull any vehicles, so I can't say for sure. I was traveling through some rural areas and the truck sure kicked up a lot of dust

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a guy at the track put 2 or 3 layers of household shelving removable contact paper on his car. (from Home Depot) I have seen him out there several times and have seen the car without the wrap on it and it looks very good. Looks like it might be easier than painters tape for your application. Just as a precaution. (I wouldn't try it on anything that didn't have original paint on it)

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have towed many times on an open trailer with no problems. Not U-haul but not much different.

Think about this, if you drove the car that many miles, road debris from traffic in front of you would not be any different.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have towed many times on an open trailer with no problems. Not U-haul but not much different.

Think about this, if you drove the car that many miles, road debris from traffic in front of you would not be any different.

I agree with you, however what I've read is the problem is that the tow vehicle "shoots" debris at the car non stop, that is what I'm trying to prevent.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have seen a guy at the track put 2 or 3 layers of household shelving removable contact paper on his car. (from Home Depot) I have seen him out there several times and have seen the car without the wrap on it and it looks very good. Looks like it might be easier than painters tape for your application. Just as a precaution. (I wouldn't try it on anything that didn't have original paint on it)

I was also thinking about the painters tape and/or clear protection route as well. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put a couple layers on the places that might get pelted.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just spoke to a boat/car shrink wrapper who was a really nice guy and offered a lot of advice. He suggested using a low tack tape as well b/c he said even shrink wrapping like you see on a boat will move back and forth a 1/2" the whole time you are trailering. I found this from Uline and it sounds like it would work great, any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Protection-Tape-Blue-ULINE/dp/B004SIM0EO

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also thinking about the painters tape and/or clear protection route as well. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to put a couple layers on the places that might get pelted.
The advantage to using contact paper is that it is wide; so, it would go on with less hassle and could be over lapped, leaving less leading edges to lift than tape. I read a post by a guy who says he puts some detailer spray down first, another said a coat of wax. I certainly would not leave it on there any longer than needed. I haven't tried it, myself.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...or, you could ship it enclosed...catch a load going your way, may be less expensive than you think. I know how nice your car is...and, how much work you do keeping it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper