another window regulator thread

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing Chucks thread today I decided to take one more look at my drivers side window which is stuck almost fully down.

maybe I missed something in my 3 previous attempts.

anyway the motor gets power( for both directions) and will go down but not up.
travels smoothly down with no binding.

my question is for one of the gurus, how does this assembly work?

I know there is a cable involved but exactly how?
is there some kind of worm gear internal to the motor that the cable travels through?

can I disassemble the motor without damaging it and would it do any good?

getting my ac fixed won't do much good with the drivers window stuck down.

Thanks

Last edited:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On mine the little white shuttle that goes up and down the tracks broke. One of the edges snapped and like yours it went down but not up.

Take the door panel off and inspect it. Some have just had a problem with the cables tangling or coming off line.

Good luck.

:usa:

OP
OP
M

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the shuttle is intact and in place unless there is something on the backside I am missing. can you explain "cables Tangling or coming off line"?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sure someone with a little more experience can explain in better detail. Without a diagram from a service manual it is hard to explain. Either way in most cases they need to be replaced as the assembly is an all in one part. :rolleyes:

:usa:

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my drivers side did both, guide broke and the cable became tangled inside the motor housing. I ended up taking some small aluminium angle and made the backside of the guide. The cable was really chewed up so I went to the Bike Shop and got some brake cable and made some new cables. Would be nice if someone could take the guides and make some heavy duty resign copies.

Later
Dave

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The window regulator is all 1 module, consisting of the motor, a spool for the cable, the cables themselves, the coupling the ends of the cables attach to, and the track the coupling (and window) rides along. The motor simply turns the spool, retracting 1 end of the cable while letting the other end out. Each end of the cable attaches to a coupling that rides on the window track, and the window attaches to the coupling. Might be hard to understand from reading it, but when your looking at the assembly it should all make sense.

The easiest thing to do is to detach the window from the coupling (there is a clip that holds the ball joint on the window to the coupling), pull the window all the way up and hold it in place with a screwdriver or something. The motor and track both will unbolt from the framing of the door, 4 screws for the motor I think, and 3 or 4 screws for the track. Unbolt everything and it all should come right out.

Not sure how your window will roll down but not roll up. Usually if the coupling breaks, the window falls right into the door and you can't re-attach it without replacing the coupling. The worst thing that can happen is if the ends of the cable break free from the coupling, because if you try to run the motor the cables will get tangled up in the spool and your probably screwed. Bottom line, if your window falls into the door and you suspect the coupling broke, don't touch the window switch! If your lucky, all you'll need to do is get a new coupling and re-attach it.

If you're unlucky like I was, your cable got tangled up in the spool. Its possible to fix it, but it involves drilling out the rivet to open the casing, straighten out the cable because it's likely bent up, fix the grooves in the spool that the cable rides in, re-winding the cable around the spool and putting it all back together. I had to use a torch to heat up the cable and straighten it out, and also had to re-establish the grooves in the spool because when the cable got tangled up it mangled the grooves, making it hard for the cable to ride properly on the spool. Once you get it back together, you have to keep it together because the rivet was drilled out. One stainless steel screw, some 2 part epoxy and a couple tie straps, and so far mine has held together (thank God).

I'm sure some can be so damaged that it can't be fixed, but you won't really know until you get it apart. If you're mechanically inclined, it's worth a shot trying to overhaul it yourself, but don't recommend trying to fix it on your own if you don't know what you're doing, I'd hate to see one get ruined in a poor attempt to fix it.

Hope this helps.

After seeing Chucks thread today I decided to take one more look at my drivers side window which is stuck almost fully down.

maybe I missed something in my 3 previous attempts.

anyway the motor gets power( for both directions) and will go down but not up.
travels smoothly down with no binding.

my question is for one of the gurus, how does this assembly work?

I know there is a cable involved but exactly how?
is there some kind of worm gear internal to the motor that the cable travels through?

can I disassemble the motor without damaging it and would it do any good?

getting my ac fixed won't do much good with the drivers window stuck down.

Thanks

OP
OP
M

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the explaination. the window did roll down smoothly but is almost fully down now.
when trying to roll up nothing. there is power to the motor and if the am radio is on you can hear static when you press the switch for up.
I will rip into it tomorrrow.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing I have found on working on some customer's vipers is that the bracket that holds the assembly has rusted out (I think it was a weld that rusted out and the window would not roll up). His Viper was a 1997 GTS and from washing to rain I guess leaked on the assembly and caused some rust through on the metal. I welded the piece that broke off with another small weld and it worked like it was new. I wish I had pictures of it because if would make allot more sense seeing it.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just last night my LH window made a loud crack (as if something smacks the glass)when I hit the full up or full down position. Pretty disappointing for a vehicle with only 5K miles.

Anyway I was going to dig into it. I have the manual and it gave me step by step where to remove the fasteners.

What is not clear is whether there are other snap type fasteners like on the bottom of the door trim or elsewhere. For those that have had the door trim off, is there trick to removing the panel without damaging the fasteners or the door.

Thanks
Tom

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once inside the dooor, I tried to diagnose what that cracking or load pop that was at the end of the full up or full down position. The noise is coming from the forward slide mechanism. The window moves up and down fine, so far, the but pop at the end of cycle sound like something is broke.

Any idea where I should go from here?

PS I have read the other threads about the little plastic piece that has failed but that does not seem to be my problem.