Anti-freeze smell?

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my coolant 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've noticed a faint smell of anti-freeze when my temperature reaches about 200°. I checked under the hood and don't see any leaks or loose hoses? I did spill a small amount when re filling. I would think anything spilled would have burned away by now?
Help!

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get that smell faintly once in awhile and always wonder if my water pump may have a small leak around the seal... I don't see any leakage, but if it's small enough, it will evaporate and leave little trace.

It's enough to make me think about proactively replacing the pump. How long have these typically gone without replacement? Mine's a 98 with 23K.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I finally started to notice that my car was beggining to run a little hotter than before. I got home and while adding water to the radiator I noticed that it was low. I went for a drive and again noticed the smell. I came home and added more water.

After adding water for the 2nd time I started the car and watched carefully. There must have been a hole in the water pump gasket about 2mm in size. There was a very thin but steady stream that became a strong stream when I was on the pedal.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on how sensitive you are of a smeller. It could also be something small.
1. Your overflow tank is getting more and more in it and you can smell it when it boils over after driving the car and parking it?
2. Your hose coming into your res has a small leak (most do) and you are smelling the the fumes that are escaping. This small seal problem is also the reason that most folks get air in their "sealed" system. Put a clamp around it and it might help with the problem.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Smell but no drips (evaporates from the block before dripping). Looks for streaks on the block.

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It might be leaking from the thermostat housing, noticed my '93 RT/10 smelt when I gave it some heavy metal and it took some time before I found the slight weeping.

In terms of the water pump and head gaskets - mine are both the original and the car has just done about 40.5k miles.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't smell anything but I drop about a qt. of coolant a year and I can see that there is slow seepage through the water pump gasket from the green crud that builds up. It must only seep while hot and the engine heat evaporates what gets past the gasket (all of the bolts are tight). Any comments on whether I should replace the gasket right away or wait for it to get worse (if it does). It's been doing this for about two years and 20,000 miles and I am of the mind to just keep my eye on it.
Thanks
Bruce

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I jacked up the car and refilled the coolant. Underneath there seems to be a small amount dripping from the clutch housing. I followed it up and see the thermostat housing. I don't see any coolant leaking from the thermostat when looking from the top. Any ideas? I can't really see up close around the thermostat, to verify the source. However, there doesn't appear to be anything else coolant related in that area. Car has 20,000 miles. Does this sound like it could be the problem?

Here are my symptoms in more detail:
I changed the coolant 2 weeks ago. At the same time, I changed my spark plug wires, so I was diggin around in the area of the thermostat. Since then, I have noticed a faint coolant smell when driving. I figured I had spilled some when draining or refilling and that it would go away over time. Never got better or worse since then. Yesterday, spent a few hours at the drag strip. Ran 7 times. On my way home, I stopped at a store. When I came out of the store, I notices a trail of coolant from under my car. Quickly went home and checked the levels after the car cooled down. Recovery bottle was empty and the overflow bottle was 1/4 full (both were checked before going out).

Now its Dreamcruise week and I have no Viper to drive :(

HELP!

If it is the thermostat, it is an easy fix? Or dealer item?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the thermostat housing most likely. It can be very diffficult to see from the top. Should be around $150 with parts and labor. Switch to the 180 degree thermostat while your in there. One of the best upgrades for our hot Gen 1's.

OP
OP
R

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anti-freeze smell? Thermostat?

Two questions about the thermostat:

1. How does the 180 degree thermostat make the car run cooler? Seems like they would have come that way from the factory if there are no drawbacks? I'm not real clear on this?

2. Can someone suggest a dealer or Viper mechanic in the NE Detroit area (I'm in Royal Oak) who I can trust with the thermostat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456