AntiVenom transmission mod

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm surprised nothing's turned up in the search. Has anyone here done it? Can you reach the bolt easily?

Z06Vette.com - Corvette Z06 Forum - Antivenom's Shift Mod

I had done some research in the past about a mod that can be done to the T56 to make shifts much easier and smoother. The Z06 guys swear by it (They call it the Anti Venom mod...hehe). The mod is easier to do on a 'Vette than on a Cobra due to clearance issues between the trans and the tunnel on our Cobras. Maybe one of you guys can figure out a way to do the mod with the tranny in but I couldn't. Anyway, I just had the trans out of my car to replace the clutch so I decided to give it a try...and I'll be damned...IT WORKS! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOD! By all means, if you're doing a clutch and you've got the trans out, try it.

Here's the trick:

Remove the big bolt that is high up on the passenger side of the T56. The bolt will take a 15/16" or 24mm socket to get it off. No fluid will come out. No springs will fly out. Nothing catastrophic will happen. This bolt has a ball and spring setup behind it that applies pressure to a detent in the trans.

What you want to do is to shim out this big ol' bolt with a washer (or washers) by about 1/16" to alleviate some of the pressure on the spring. Go either to NAPA and get part #704-1357 or Pep Boys or Autozone will have the same washers as a Dorman Oiltite part #65277. These are 13/16" or M20 copper oil drain plug washers and the pack of two costs $1.79. Yup. That's all! Put two of these washers under the bolt I described and tighten it back up. YOU WON"T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR SHIFTS!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!

My car has always been hard to shift...really notchy going in and out of gears. It always felt to me like hitting a wall in between shifts. I got the MGW and it helped a little. I've done the RP tranny fluid and I even did the friction modifier fix but neither one did much to help mine. THIS DID THE TRICK!!! Now it shifts smooth as silk. Try it. Bet you'll love it!
You must be registered for see images attach

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems simple enough to do...give a try and let us know how you make out with it. I don't have any issues with shifting especially after replacing my torn motor mounts with Woodhouse mounts as well as an SVS shifter.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you had yours modified. I wonder if you drop the rear of the trans if this can be done installed.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please. What do you want, a stick you can move with your pinky finger? Grab it and shift it. No problem. I have more important mods to worry about than that.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a manly man not a girly man. As such I am more worried about tearing out the shift lever or breaking it off rather than it being too hard to shift. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
bruce, could you PM me a high res pic of your car? I wanna see how my similar car would look if I lower it on stock wheels

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a manly man not a girly man. As such I am more worried about tearing out the shift lever or breaking it off rather than it being too hard to shift. GTS Bruce

under full throttle shifting, sure, but this SHOULD make cruising in traffic a bit more pleasant

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 2003 Z06, and remember this mod being discussed on the Corvette forums frequently. I never did it on mine. As with the Viper, I just don't feel the shifting is that bad. I actually think the T-56 in my Viper (an 01 GTS/ACR) shifts slightly better than my Z06 did, but this may be a by product of the longer shift linkage on the Z06. I'd be interested in hearing an unbiased appraisal of the mod though.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just hit mine with my purse. :)

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
had the tranny mount put in, along with a 1/16"s spacer on the detent bolt. under normal driving, the shifting effort is noticeably decreased. with a b&m shifter and stock shift knob, the throw is a tad long, but gears are easy to find, and you don't need to dislocate your shoulder toget it into 6th. with the "gripper" shift knob, the effort is now acceptable, but 6th gear is a ***** to get into.

I'll let you know how it shifts at full throttle when it stops raining

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems simple enough to do...give a try and let us know how you make out with it. I don't have any issues with shifting especially after replacing my torn motor mounts with Woodhouse mounts as well as an SVS shifter.

I am wonder if I have bad motor mount when I race the engine, when a back off the shifter drop back to the left about 1/4 to 1/2 inch?
Mine shift fine easy and stopped but under full throttle it hard to shift.
They have T56 cut away trans at Vincennes University. I might go in a play with adjusting the detent on it to see what happens.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wonder if I have bad motor mount when I race the engine, when a back off the shifter drop back to the left about 1/4 to 1/2 inch?
Mine shift fine easy and stopped but under full throttle it hard to shift.
They have T56 cut away trans at Vincennes University. I might go in a play with adjusting the detent on it to see what happens.

That can be caused by a disk that is hanging or still rotating. That is part of the reason the twin disk clutches shift better, they have a smaller diameter and slow down faster when the pedal is depressed. The same applies to a petal style disk, they are lighter and the disk slows down faster, therefore, shifts faster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte