Any advice on good service in Denver area.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this board and this is my first post. I own a 2001 RT/10 Yellow. I took the car to a local Dealer to have what appeared to be a crack in the paint next to the driver's side "speaker" on the hood repaired, as well as the rubber gasket in the "speaker" which was coming loose. I asked a lot of questions about their Viper experience and was told they work on them all the time, no problem. Specifically I asked if it would be tough to get the hood back on straight after the work was done and was assured they would.
When I brought the car to the Dealer there are Viper posters, models, hoods, parts, etc. all over the walls and I was told the owner of the Dealership is a Viper nut and really gets on them to assure any Viper work done there is perfect. I am feeling pretty good about the place.
About a week later I pick up the car and really start looking at it when I get home. Right off the bat, the hood is crooked, much bigger gap on the passenger side between the hood and where it meets the front fascia right in front of the tire, while the drivers side is almost touching paint to paint. I then notice my "chin guard" installed under the front fascia is bent as if the car were run up over a curb. At least the crack is gone and the gasket repaired. I called and they said bring it back any time, they'd correct it. Nice, but a pain to have to bring it back AGAIN. This past weekend, as I was ZAINO'ing, I notice where the crack was, there is now a major screw up in the paint, almost looks like a tic tac toe board about 1 1/2-2 inches square in the paint under the clear coat, and there is a huge patch of overspray on the front fascia and the right front wheel. The original repairs were covered under warranty, but after this seemingly careless work, I'm questioning whether to take it back there or not. I was able to rub most (not all) of the overspray off with a Zaino clay bar, and can straighten out the chin guard no problem, but this tic tac toe board is an issue, I can see it when driving the car. Any suggestions? Take it back and make them fix it? Another dealer? Pay out of my pocket at a good body shop?

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

In my experience - and I've owned my Viper for 4 years now - there is only one Viper tech in the Denver area I'd trust with my car, Jim Slater. Sadly for me, he now works at a dealership up in Brighton - just too long a hoof in traffic and all for any kind of weekday / std business hours / warranty work. But since my car's now out of warranty, it's not really a big deal for me.

There are some who speak highly of a fellow named Glenn at SW Dodge. I've not been there so I can't say one way or another.

I hope you're not going to Christophers Dodge. Worst place on the face of the earth - in my experience. I won't even get started.

I'm guessing you are talking about the folks up on 104th... Where my car was broken into and the radio removed while it was stored overnight in their "locked" building...

Related to your paint issue... I just had my side sills redone - silver, which is reputedly a very tough match - at Lawson's Auto Body in Golden. Perfection! I've had them do several cars for me over the years and think very highly of them. Contact me off line if interested. Perhaps - PERHAPS - the dealer you are working with will let you use a third party. At a minimum, Lawson's will be able to provide you an assessment of the cost / effort to bring back to the condition you expect.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sometimes I think I am one of only a few people in Denver w/ a Viper. It's good to hear from some "neighbors" ;) . Sorry it is under these circumstances. I can't help as I have only had my car for a few months. Good luck.

Did you call Dodge to get a list of available "Viper" mechanics?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I will be getting my GTS within the next few weeks, I was researching where the Colorado Viper techs are. The local Dodge Lithia dealer in Fort Collins has a Viper Tech. I have no personal experience with them yet though.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detlef,

Based on your location, I'd very highly recommend you call Jim Slater at Johnson Auto Plaza in Brighton, 303 654 1940. I've not worked with that dealer, but I do think very highly of Jim. If you're not certain of your local guy, definitely worth at least a call...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this board and this is my first post. I own a 2001 RT/10 Yellow. I took the car to a local Dealer to have what appeared to be a crack in the paint next to the driver's side "speaker" on the hood repaired, as well as the rubber gasket in the "speaker" which was coming loose. ....
About a week later I pick up the car and really start looking at it when I get home. Right off the bat, the hood is crooked, much bigger gap on the passenger side between the hood and where it meets the front fascia right in front of the tire, while the drivers side is almost touching paint to paint. I then notice my "chin guard" installed under the front fascia is bent as if the car were run up over a curb. At least the crack is gone and the gasket repaired. I called and they said bring it back any time, they'd correct it. Nice, but a pain to have to bring it back AGAIN. This past weekend, as I was ZAINO'ing, I notice where the crack was, there is now a major screw up in the paint, almost looks like a tic tac toe board about 1 1/2-2 inches square in the paint under the clear coat, and there is a huge patch of overspray on the front fascia and the right front wheel.

Your entire post makes me nervous.... Here's why:
The hood has no adjustment. It just sits on 4 bolts into the spring assembly. So, there is no way removing and reinstalling the hood should have changed any alignment of the hood to front fascia.

Also, if they removed the hood, why is there overspray ANYWHERE? Even if they didn't, why would the overspray be down by the wheel and front fascia?

Lastly, you note that it looks like there was some damage that occured to the fascia protector. The front fascia is where there is all the adjustment...

If i were a betting woman, my guess is that something happened to your car. Take a look and make sure all the push fasteners are still installed on your fornt fascia, including the 2 that are a PITA to get to and reside in front of the headlight assemblies. We never put ours back on when we have removed the fascia and I'll bet that if your fascia has been off, neither would they..... Also, get under your car and look at the radiator core support - it's the large black piece that usually ends up bearing the brunt of any frontal impact.

I sure hope I am wrong and paranoid.... Please report back.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
smashman,

I have been a Viper owner in Colorado for a while now, make sure you read this post... There are only two Viper techs you want to deal with in Colorado - Glenn at SW Dodge (very good) and Jim Slater mentioned above (very nice). I can tell by your post you got your car painted up at that place next to Northglenn Dodge correct? The place with the Testarossa wheel and the green Viper hood on the wall. I got my bumper touched up and I was "o.k." with the job they did. When I took the car home after the touch-up I got the florecent light and looked really closely at the paint and noticed a few bubbles! After seeing the bubbles, I was PISSED and took the car back right away. They were super friendly about fixing the car up to perfection, but as you said - why didn't they look at these details in the first place. A nice sales guy at Ferrari of Denver told me a place called "Paint Booth" does the best work in town, but I never went there or ever heard of them. After I told my horror story about the paint shop you mentioned, I remember hearing a story about a guy with a silver Viper that had a similar problems with his hood that your mentioned. If you ever meet the people that really work behind the scenes at that paint place - you will have some good stories to tell. The guy that goofed up my car was probably about 17 and the other "older", "wiser" guy obviously inhaled too many paint fumes. I got some shivers when I knew these num-nuts worked on my car, but all in all they were nice guys.

OP
OP
S

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to all you nice folks who replied to my dilemna. Here is the update so far...1st off, as many of you local Viper owners guessed correctly, it was indeed Northglenn Dodge who screwed up my hood. I called them back to ask some questions on how this happened and the replies were vague, at best..How come tic tac toe board in hood?...Dunno; Why is hood now misaligned?...Dunno; Did you guys remove the hood when you painted it?...Ummmm...can't recall, don't think so BUT they THINK they removed the front bumper. (Bumper? I assume that means Front Fascia) Why remove front fascia to paint the hood?...Dunno; If front fascia was removed, why is there overspray all over it?...Uh, Gee, Dunno, guess we'd have to look at the car. Can you fax me a copy of the work order so I can see what was actually done?...Oh, jeez, the warranty work documents person has been out didn't you receive that in the mail we'll fax it right away! (6 days ago, still waiting.) Anyhow's just spoke to Glenn at Southwest Dodge and he'll look at the car and try to get it straightened out for me. I'll keep you all posted and thanks to ALL here for the recommendations. I hope when it's all said and done I'll be able to make a positive recommendation for Glenn and whichever Body Shop I end up going with, for now all I can say is I definitely know ONE dealership I would NOT recommend.

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smashman,

You can trust Glenn at SW. He just finished working on my Viper yesterday (moving my O2 sensors) and did a great job.
Jim is also a very good tec. but just too far away from where I live.

Good luck with your Viper.