Any advice on removing wheel weight adhesive?

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a PITA! :arg:
I am trying to remove the adhesive left on the rims from the old wheel weight's after getting the new PS2's on. I filed a piece of plastic to form a wedge and am scraping it off little by little but I still spent 45 min. on one rim that had a 1" by 3" piece. The biggest piece left to tackle on the remaining three other rims is about a 5" by 2" piece. Not looking forward to it at all. Any idea's on an easier way to get this stuff off without scratching the rims would be greatly appreciated. :2tu:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD40 will work. It softens the adhesive. After the goo is gone, clean it with a degreaser like 409 or equivalent.

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover, available at most auto parts stores, it comes in a small metal can.
Works very well, won't harm the surface...

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover, available at most auto parts stores, it comes in a small metal can.

The 3M stuff is great. Goo Gone will also probably work, but go with the 3M stuff. I've used it on numerous wheels and it works very well and doesn't damage anything. I've not tried the Goo Gone on wheels, but it works well on other stuff. I also haven't tried any of the other suggestions, so maybe some of them work.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the wheels are clear coated on the inside, gasoline, xylene and brake cleaner will all harm that coating. The 3M stuff, WD40 or charcoal starter are much better choices.

If the wheels have no clear coating on the inside then use anything.

OP
OP
V

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank's for the reply's everyone! I'll try the WD40 first only because I have some in the garage. If I decide to buy something else I'll go to Autozone and get some 3M adhesive remover. :2tu:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the 3M stuff to take all of the badges, plates, etc. off of all my cars (I hate them and no car company pays me to advertise for them) and it has never hurt the paint.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My favorite adhesive remover is denatured alcohol (which is probably just the same as lighter fluid which Robby mentioned but 10x cheaper)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have done this EXACT thing. I can ASSURE you, the easiest and SIMPLEST and least amount of work is GOOF OFF. squirt a little on the sticky spot and wipe away.

This easily beats the brake fluid, wd40, and alchol tricks.... how do I know? I TRIED THEM ALL..

GOO GONE, GOOF OFF... whatever name the local hardware store calls them, its the CHAMP !!

Jon

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I have done this EXACT thing. I can ASSURE you, the easiest and SIMPLEST and least amount of work is GOOF OFF. squirt a little on the sticky spot and wipe away.

This easily beats the brake fluid, wd40, and alchol tricks.... how do I know? I TRIED THEM ALL..

GOO GONE, GOOF OFF... whatever name the local hardware store calls them, its the CHAMP !!

Jon

The treatment you try last always works best because the previous ones loosened everything up.

:rolaugh:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This stuff works GREAT, and wont harm any finish... comes in a small, gold can...

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The treatment you try last always works best because the previous ones loosened everything up.

:rolaugh:

lol, Crap.. that might be true :omg:, ok do them in the oder of recomendation, with goof off being last, and then I'll get credit for it working ;-)

lol :lmao:

Seriously, I have 4 wheels i had to do it to, once I figured off goof off worked over all others (on 1 wheel), then i was able to move on to the other wheels with just goof off, and it worked like a charm.

Jon

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover works very well. Goo gone is OK, but not quite as effective. Other chemicals can harm finishes.

One set of track tires lasts typically one to two weekends, so I get to do this a bunch every year.

Dan

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always use Zippo lighter fluid to remove adhesives. It doesn't harm the paint and is available at all corner stores, cheap.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte