Any other 06 owners get an 08 hood?

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aside from Hiss, has anyone else replaced their 06 hood with an 08? Did it come with the screens for the vents? I'm looking at doing this to my VOI9 :). Lastly, pics!

Bat™

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make screens to fit the 2003-2006 OEM Hoods? Also a screen kit to fit the grill opening on the viper would be wonderful so as to keep leaves and other objects out of the radiator.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bat, right now you have to make your own as there not yet available from Dodge. And when they are their $$$$. Hennessey posted on the alley he has some aftermarket built, but didn't list a price. I went the route that Hiss did, make your own. I was parked next to an 08 Saturday and mine looked as good as stock. Down the road you'll probably be able to buy some used ones from wrecks. But down the road you'll probably sell your VOI and get an 08 or 09. Mike

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BAT, you read my mind...... I think the wheels you got, an 08' Hood, and KW's would make your VOI9 look absolutely STUPID!!!!!!! (in a very good way)... It would look amazing.. do it... And get pics of those wheels up ASAP... :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I thought that the '08 grills looked kinda cheap on the '08 I saw at the autoshow. Certainly nothing special to warrant big $.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put an 08 hood on my 06... Grill area's are open on mine right now.

After seeing the plastic grills I may decide to make my own. :cool:

Also on the last SRT Engineer thread, they said the part number would be updated in a couple of weeks... Does anyone have a way to check?

You must be registered for see images

This is really the only recent pic I have...

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
85 of 200 is in our local club and I know he is putting one on right now.He is real handy I would be surprised if he doesn't have a solution.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have sold 15 x 2008 hoods, and NO grills are avail. None released to Mopar.

In fact 2008 production was slowed for a time due to grill issues!

We have all 6 (different, spendy) part numbers, and associated hardware to install them.... and we hope to have a nice alternative soon. Our hood customers (like Kala, thanks) get 1st option.

PS: Want a 2006 hood for wall / garage art? How about a kid's headboard? $499 NEW !

PPS. Buy a rear fascia ($250) and an 06 hood($500) and install it on a kids "VIPER BED"!!

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, the great thing about the 08 hood is the car runs cooler. I'm always looking for a way to cool the footwell any way I can.
I considered buying an 08, but had done so much to my 06 that I decided to wait for possibly 09 :D

Here's a couple of pix I took at Barrett Jackson of the offending 08 grills

I really haven't decided what to do about the grills...

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, the great thing about the 08 hood is the car runs cooler. I'm always looking for a way to cool the footwell any way I can.
I considered buying an 08, but had done so much to my 06 that I decided to wait for possibly 09 :D

Here's a set similar to the one's HISS made. (Kala's picture quality is better) I've got $50.00 in materials, I heard around $600 MSRP for the factory ones? I parked side by side an 08 and Saturday, the plastic is thicker than the mesh but they both look fine.

08_vents_top.JPG

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really haven't decided what to do about the grills...

Can you post a closer picture with maybe a ruler on the grills, im trying to reproduce a set close to factory.

Thanks

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't take one with the grills, I took the photos of both cars (not mine) while in AZ during the Barrett-Jackson auction :headbang:

I could do one with a ruler and the open hood vents if that will help you...

There are quite a few owners with 08s now, maybe someone will help the rest of us out on the grill size photos :confused:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said that the hexagons are not perfect hexagons, but the pictures show them to look perfect to me. You have seen them, what do you think?

OP
OP
B

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bat, right now you have to make your own as there not yet available from Dodge. And when they are their $$$$. Hennessey posted on the alley he has some aftermarket built, but didn't list a price. I went the route that Hiss did, make your own. I was parked next to an 08 Saturday and mine looked as good as stock. Down the road you'll probably be able to buy some used ones from wrecks. But down the road you'll probably sell your VOI and get an 08 or 09. Mike

That amazes me that the hoods dont come with the screens:rolleyes:

Bat™

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wire ones look just fine to me.

The hood is sharp but, not without the engine. IMO

Because the pre-08 engine is just junk, right? Come on! Besides, Dodge is supposedly coming out with a heads/intake package for the 03-06 SRT to upgrade the engine too.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100_7375_edited-3.jpg

I sold my first set of grills and Here is a pic of the new grills I made. The new grill mesh was purchased from customcargrills.com - Custom Car & Truck Grills - Billet & Mesh Grill Inserts -I got the aluminum 18" X 4' gloss black powder coated XXL flat piece (you can also get flat black). More than enough to do the job - good to have in case you make a mistake in cutting one of the grills. I used the 1/2" #12 screws to install. Delivered for around 80$.

It was helpful to me to order the sample kit showing all the screen mesh.

The flat screen is much easier to work with-easy to cut with tin snips. Its really not a hard job-but as you can see the vent openings on the hood are different sizes. The #3 vent opening from the front is about 1" larger all around than the #1 vent. In cutting the grills-this makes it a little more time consuming. Be a quicker job with the hood off(easier on the old back).

To be honest I liked it without the grills the best-but felt that I needed something to cover up those big holes. My cat could have crawled through #3:).

The pics below gives you look at the flat and regular diamond shape grill mesh and the other pic is the flat grills powder coated.

xxl-flat.jpg
100_7361_edited-2.jpg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HISS. Your profile does not say who you are. Please email me? [email protected]. Thanks

Product Note: These 'hardware cloth' style grills can easily be painted body color, too. Or CHROME

Last edited:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Jon is getting some grills at a good price but I order this last week, what do you guys think?

Picture_033.jpg