Any reason to get the Viper over a Ferrari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never driven a 360 Modena or ridden in one but here goes:

1. Buy American
2. Service possibilities
3. Snakes are better than horses
4. Overall cost is lower with the Viper
5. Gawk factor is higher (that is probably biased, in reality it is probably equal)
6. Viper Days
7. More power

I sure some other more informed will chime in..

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Handling they are probably very similar, but with MUCH different feels. The Viper just sticks and sticks, and then all of a sudden it lets go. It's VERY hard to slide it around IMO. It has very high limits, but it takes a bit to drive it quick. The Ferrari (I have VERY little time in a 360, a little more in a 355) has darty, very quick steering. I bet the Viper is quicker around a track, but I'm sure the 360 is easier to drive fast.

Acceleration - not even close.

Interior - check them both out. Ferrari is probably made of more expensive stuff.. don't see many high mileage 360's or 355's, so I don't know if they hold up over time with no rattles, etc.

Ride quality - I find the Viper was very good - certainly the equal or better than the 360. Viper has a stiff ride, but it ***** up the bumps pretty good - it doesn't get squirrely, it just takes the bump, and keeps going.

I dunno... they are totally different cars. If you want the faster, more exciting, I'd say Viper. Wow factor is definitely the 360, although I say they would both get the same looks on the street. 360 is gonna be a LOT more money to buy, and a LOT more money to own and maintain. You can drive a Viper 15k a year without problems - can't do that with a 360 - without absolutley decimating the value, and paying $$'s in maintenance.

Gheijos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand, Ferrari's require a complete tear down of their engines every 30,000 miles which is extremely costly. You may want to compare the regularly scheduled maintanance of each car, it is an important factor to some. A friend had an '89 348 and I hold a lot of respect for Ferrari's.

Joseph

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rgifford:

1. Buy American
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paul:
torque?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know nothing about physics. Torque is nothing with out acceleration over time dependent on gearing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gheijos:
From what I understand, Ferrari's require a complete tear down of their engines every 30,000 miles ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they dont.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FenderJazz:
Probably the only objective reason would be the maintenance factor, everything else is going to boil down to opinion. (excusing price of course)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maintenance is subjective. If you cant change your own oil/fluids, you shouldnt be driving exoti-cars unless you just like spending money on service. It all depends on how you drive. if you drive like a maniac, a car will require more service. if your drive like an old person, it will be just fine. Ferrari reps RECOMEND driving thehell out of the car to break in the motor. Ive got a friend with a 550 Maranello. His regular maintanence was sceduled by Ferrari and they picked up the car from him and took it to the service center in Houston for a ROM up date to the ECU. But besides that everything was fine.

Dont listen to other peoples opinions of what u should buy. Its your money. Buy what will make you happy. Drive both for a LOOOOONG drive. Dont take any crap from the sales people and dont let them come with you. You will never get to feel the car out with them in it pointing at a watch. Also do not take the car to its limits unless your a bad *** driver, in which case all of this diatribe is old hat.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "sub-topic question" to this thread (since some of the posts and thoughts here were excellent):

Handling they are probably very similar, but with MUCH different feels. The Viper just sticks and sticks, and then all of a sudden it lets go. It's VERY hard to slide it around IMO.

Having relatively little driving experience with my new rt/10 (2,300 miles) I found this comment particularly intriguing/alarming. Mike, are your comments based on the current Pilot Sport tires or prior stock tires? I have heard so many varied opinions concerning whether or not the Pilots are "forgiving". With so little time behind the wheel I am not particularly interested (scared s**t) in taking the car anywhere near its limit, which as far as I can determine so far, is remarkably distant. In a "previous life" (sans 15 years, a wife and daughter) I used to race XKE's extensively with the Jaguar and Vintage Clubs. All my road, race and autocross experience is on tires that shout "here I go" 20 seconds before they <u>begin</u> to break (I have done a few of the Skip Barber FF schools). I can't even get the Pilots to squeal during a turn that bangs my head against the side window!

Anyway, I know the best answer is to get to Skip Barber and Viper Days (although the Viper Days event would feel much more comfortable driving a $25,000 Jag rather than a $75,000 dream car), but I'm curious as to your and other owners/driver's thoughts .

Thanks,
-Scott

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 360 and the Viper are 2 different cars. Although the Ferrari is 2x as expensive as the Viper, the Viper outperforms the Ferrari in every aspect, except braking ofcourse.
tongue.gif

The Ferrari is obviously made of better materials, and is a much more comfortable car to drive than a Viper. It has more head-room, leg-room, and overall space. At fast speeds though, the Viper feels a bit more stable. The Ferrari, however, does feel much stiffer at cornering than does the Viper.
pissed.gif

If you're looking for a pure "exotic", be it sound, shape, or name, get the Ferrari
aysmile.gif
Its engine's sound is very distinctive, and is one of the highest revving car engines in the world (8700rpm). Its 5-valves per cylinder give it a sound than is unmatched by any other exotic. However, all of these characteristics are worth 0 when you drive a Viper!
bounce.gif

I have driven many many cars, and the Viper is by far the meanest, most intensifying, adrenaline rush machine you can buy today
BURNOUT.gif
It will also draw more attention than a 360 on any street
bounce.gif
With a few bolt-ons and upgrades, the Viper can sound veeeeerrrrrryyyyyyyyyy good! It'll beat any other stock sports car out there! GET ONE!
cool.gif

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have a couple observations that may be worth noting:

1. The Viper is more "raw" and reminiscent of the muscle car days of old. The throaty roar of 488 cubic inches is unmistakable - pure horsepower in a large package. The Ferrari is a more refined sportscar that revs like no other. Think of the sound of an IndyCar vs. NASCAR. The Viper rides a little rougher and definitely lets you know what you are driving. The Viper feels as though it is ready to pounce at any second. Stab the gas and you will not be disappointed. I think Sports Car International put it best: "The Ferrari is more like a fine cutlass and the Viper more of a two-handed battle-ax. You can dispatch your opponent with either one, but only the Viper can cleave his head clear off in one massive stroke."

2. Dare I say it? The Ferrari is a tad pretentious. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Ferrari's and their incredible performance and heritage (makes the Viper look like the new kid on the block). Nevertheless, at least here in the Midwest, many people view Ferrari's and their drivers as stuck up snobs with no concept of real driving. I believe the term "poser" is what is used among the guys that actually drive and race their cars. Make no mistake, I know several owners and they couldn't be greater guys and gals. You will find that there is a great race(s?) called Viper-Ferrari War. Lots of fun with true enthusiasts from both camps. There is a 360 Modena here in town. He gets more "rolls of the eyes" as opposed to thumbs up. Definitely a poser (and not a good driver in our brief encounters). Millionaire with a trophy wife and snobby kids. Maybe not typical of the average Ferrari owner, but you would be hard pressed to convince many of that fact.

Anyway, those are my brief observations. Never owned a Ferrari myself. On my first, but not last, Viper (GTS). Love the rumble, the raw power, and the attention. Kicks butt at the dragstrip and commands enormous respect at the track (kicks butt there as well - with more experienced drivers than Yours Truly). Oh, and while I don't necessarily place "buy American" as the reason to make or break a purchase, I will say that in these troubled times, a Viper (especially with a discrete American flag on the C-pillar) really stirs up some emotions from observers that I suspect the Ferrari would be hard pressed to match.

My two cents, and good luck with your purchase. You can't go wrong either way!

Chris

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend with the ferrari doesnt have much maintinence on it. I think its been in the shop 2x? Once for a 5k checkup and again for a 15k check. Its a great car and he went racing with us all the time in his 550 and his M5.

My supra is "BPU" for now. I plan on getting a T72 and "stuff" if i ever come into some money.
frown.gif
Im on Supra forums with the same user name, dmora. I love my car and wouldnt trade if for anything. ;) There arent many cars that will pump out 800 rwhp without pulling the head off and mucking around inside ;) Theres no subsitute for boost!

I think your statement of where cars are manufactured is VERY accurate. Im glad the supra was one of the few Toyotas built in Japan though.

I know a guy named SW, perhaps you know him, hes on here and vette forums and supra forums. He's owned all sorts of cars and he loves his C5s. Hes had a few vipers too, and they were in NOOOOO WAY stock. Hes had a couple of Venoms and I think hes in line for a Competition coupe, but its the C5s that he enjoys the most. He likes that its the all around package. I dunno. Im partial to my supra, and ive always had a thing for exotics. If i had the opportunity / income to make the choice "Paymon" is faced with, id pick the ferrari hands down. Nothing like the wail of a 40 valve v8 screaming at 8000+rpm. On top of the super cool F1 paddle shifters, and the excellent handling. Its a complete eye catcher. But then again, theres other cars id pick before either the viper or the 360 modena. Id like to get a rally-esque car like a Subaru 22b or a Lancer Evo 6 or 7. A nissan Skyline would be a sweet car too. given a few mods all of these cars would be scary performers.

Back to my point.... Make your own choice. The only way to know for sure is to drive em! If you do decide on the Ferrari, get the F1 paddle shifters. Its the best of both worlds. Its an actual manual shifting mechanism, but its all computer controlled It shifts as fast as an auto, but transitions power like a really stick shift.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FenderJazz:
Maintenance is subjective. If you cant change your own oil/fluids, you shouldnt be driving exoti-cars unless you just like spending money on service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah yes, perhaps I should have been clearer. One's level of skill/patience/tolerence for maintenance is surly subjective. When and how often a given car is scheduled for maintenance is not though. It either needs to go in for service (scheduled or warranty) or it doesn't. That's all I meant. BTW dmora, is your TT stock? Do you post on supraforums.com? The potential of Supras always keeps me interested in them, nice cars.

Anyway, I'm not offering any knowledge on either car, only that the choice between the two is going to be mostly opinion. And you probably won't be swayed by what anyone posts on an internet message board anyway. (I hope) Drive the cars! When it comes time for me to choose between a Z06 and a Viper I will drive each. I have to find out for myself if the Viper is worth an additional $20k. (to me)

As far as buying American goes, now that Toyotas (or is it Nissans?) are made in Tennessee and Camaros are built in Canada, that line is far too blurred to answer anymore. Especially that "Chrysler" now starts with "Daimler".
biggrin.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<u>Give yourself a lot of room here... when the 'distant' comes up, it comes up fast.. When finding the limits of adhesion, give yourself lots of room..</u>

Thanks Rich. I was told that the "new" Pilots are much more forgiving than the old stock tires. If what you say is true then I can understand why there seem to be so many Viper wrecks. Guess it makes the Skip Barber program IN A VIPER that much more important. I DO NOT want to learn the limits of the Pilot Sport's adhesion by putting the rear end of the car thru some armco!

-Scott

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street tires squealing does not mean it has or is loosing adhesion. Don't rely on the sound, rely on what the car is telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.