Anybody Have The Scoop On.The 2015/2016 Viper??????

rdutko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whatever they're planning I'm certain it will look and perform even better than this last home run that they hit.

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is kinda stupid to compare the two cars. And I read somewhere that the new Z07 is spinning a smaller blower and is less mod friendly then the old ZR1.
I think your right, I read somewhere to that its a smaller blower than the ZR1 , more like the ZL1, if thats the case, that blower is spinning fast and hot, not much left on the table for that motor the way it sits .:usa:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaaaaauustin...is that true? Do you have a Viper in the garage?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin is a very talented photoshop artist and has contributed many photos to this site. I hope that he continues to do so. As for his anti SRT and anti Gen V post, perhaps he will step back; take a look at it objectively;and, edit it in a fashion that eliminates the unfavorable impression of himself that he created.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 Second 911 Turbo S Porsches and soon to be C7 Z06 DCT 10 Second Vettes have nothing to do with the issues with SRT and the Gen.5.My hopes are that SRT does what they need to do for future Gen.5s to join the regulars in the 10 second group.I will say, and yes it is positive that they appear to be moving in that direction with the testing of the CEOs car.....I am impressed that several Gen.5s can now break into the 10 second area, but the racers that have done it,it is hit and miss with very experienced drivers.Average Customers /No way...

If they make performance parts available, that will be a great step forward..

We shall see...

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
787 new exciting colors that are only available on some kind of weird special edition or thrown-together package. I hear they're sourcing all the new aero parts through Vipair. Oh, and if you're looking for a vert, you might as well start Sawzalling your coupes top off.

Austin, you are correct. You wont see a Vert. Even SRT knows producing one is not going to save the Viper as it stands.

Lets hope for a complete re-make.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a new Viper that is so bad ass, little kids will want a poster of it in their rooms. When the 96 came out, my jaw hit the floor. Timeless design that still looks awesome today, and it was THAT design that stuck in my minds eye. Ralph's an artist. He should design something mind blowing and ahead of its time...then print out a million posters for the kids.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, I remember when I saw the first 97 Blue and White GTS(10/96)at the dealer in Hollywood.,I was stunned how gorgeous it was and bought it immediately.New design with a wow factor like that with modern high tect HP and DCT will save the Viper.... Esp.if a Convertible is available...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they did a vert, in Silver. I would definitely buy one, no question or hesitation. So, that's one sold already, Ralph. ;-) Build it and we will come. (Could've spelled that with a 'u' as well, lol)

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They can't even sell what they have right now, and some guys are talking complete rebuild. You can't be serious, SRT needs to fire everybody involved in marketing and get someone in there that knows *** there doing.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free hit it right. If the kids want a poster on their wall of it, it's a hit. Right now, the kids don't think it's even made anymore, and they have a poster of a ring killer ACR, or even the blue/white (which I still get more looks and pictures in more than my SSG gen 4 weirdly).

Unfortunately, knowing how much money it is to redesign/certify a car, no way it will be a complete rebuild. I guess crazier things have happened, but I'm not too optimistic.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why does all the other car manufactures have all this money to redesign their new high performance cars( Vettes,Ford,Porsche,Lambo,Mclaren ,GTRs etc.) and SRT can not redesign a Viper ?????(BS)
I do not believe for a minute they do not have the money/engineering if they wished to proceed forward with a complete new Viper.

Fire Sale the Gen 5s and build a new version (Gen.6) and learn from the terrible marketing of the Gen.5 and of course bring the new car(Gen.6) to modern HP standards...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Z07 has 625 HP.

It is interesting to me that some of the same people who insist that the Gen V Viper should have had 700 HP do not seem to have any problem with the Z07 having only 625.

Who here can honestly say that they believe that 625 supercharged HP is better than 640 NA HP for road course purposes? And I am not writing about a one lap comparison. Let's see what happens during a 20 or 25 minute road course track day segment.

An option that would be useful for 2015 for those who want to drag race their snake would be some simple combination of optional changes that would allow the Gen V to launch better so that, in good weather, a 10.8 second quarter can easily be done and repeated.

EXACTLY and I've been saying this all along. The Gen 5 has plenty of power - it didn't need "at least 700" as some have demanded and the dispute that really stirred things up - the 2009 ZR1 slightly edging out the 2013 Gen 5 in MT's video - was never some kind of conclusive "proof" that the Gen 5 isn't up to par.

lol. Bob nailed it.

"Viper needs more power it is a piece of garbage!"

Yet, the Z06 has a deficit and has a blower

And everyone assumes it will be much faster.

Get your story straight.

I think they were basing their assumptions on the existing ZR1 vs Gen 5 that MT did, but the people who were shouting doom for the Gen 5 because the new vette would be even faster did not consider that the ZR1 was literally running at its limits while the Gen 5 was being pushed hard, but still has room to grow.

640 HP NA is damn impressive, especially considering it's highly reliable power that the Viper produces, and does not need an expensive tune-up every few thousand miles to maintain its level of performance like some other cars do.

The fact that an old Viper is still holding such a high position on the fastest nurburgering track times list is a lot more of a credit in favor of the viper's performance than the ZR1 vs Gen 5 'race' is a knock against it.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of pessimism here...
I agree that someone high up needs to fired for the monumental failure of the release and the marketing of the Gen V. The fact that many enthusiasts or simply kids (future buyers) do not know there is a new Gen V is a cardinal sin.
Many of us (including moi) have an issue with 640hp and not with 625hp on the new vette is because we had expectations of a supercar killer like previous gens and it did not happen. What we needed was an a 10.X second 1/4 mile car which usually means at least 750hp in RWD format. Owners of Ferraris/ Lambos/Porsches used to be concerned running a Viper on the streets because they knew it could beat their special toys.
It is no longer the case and it is the opposite now and we have Viper owners saying that it does not matter because its better on the track. The Viper gets spanked on the streets with stock F12, P991TT, MP12s, Aventador, Huracan, GTR, just to name a few.
BUILD A MONSTER, BRING US THE HP, DOMINATE THE STREETS and PEOPLE WILL COME AND BUY (then build an ACR to dominate the track).

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There may be a few that can compeyently handle more power than the Gen V has but I would guess that some of the complainers have:

1. Not driven the car; and,

2. Could not handle the power level it already has at its limits.

Once again, I suggest that everyone who has the where withall to buy a Gen V who has not had a chance to drive the Gen V in a spirited manner or at least get a spirited ride in one, withhold their comment about the power level until they do. They will be surprised once the tach goes past 3000.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emericr I concur completely with your statement. Yes,the Gen.5 pulls very well above 4000 RPM(Done It),the problem is that the Gen 5.is not anywhere near the mentioned new HP cars on the street or drag strip from the dig.Viper owners are use to being dominant any were they go with their Snake. People know the spects,they read reviews in Mags and Internet. SRT did not go far enough with the Gen 5 performance wise and then they built all these hi end GTSs for the greedy dealers(Not All) and blew off all their loyal customers. I personally know three of people/friends that canceled orders and they are still really pissed and have not bought a Gen.5 for that reason.Additionally, no accountability that the marking mistakes,that we have heard of.

I look forward to next years models and see what they come up with to fix things...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You keep posting about "from the dig". The Gen V was not designed as a drag racer. It was designed as a raod coarse car. The Viper has never been an easy car to drag race in any generation. People used to routinely bend the shift linkage in Gen II's trying to power shift. If I wanted to have a car which is streetable and also easy to use for drag racing, I would buy an all wheel drive, automatic transmission car and modify it. For instance, there are turbo charged, NOSed, last generation Jeep SRT8s running around that pull nines in the quarter. I saw one at PBIR. So for about 45K plus about 20 K in mods, you can have a car that beats the McClaren, the Turbo S Porsche and almost everything else like it is parked and also can carry four people very comfortably and quite a bit of stuff in the back.

The Viper is far more than a point and shoot car. It is for people that really care about having an authentic driving experience. It is not for everybody nor should it be.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez. If you want a purpose built drag car that will "dig" right out of the box...go snag a Mustang Cobra Jet. You would then find yourself ******** in the Mustang forums about how they need to make one street legal with air conditioning....

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saying what opinion is of myself and several friends.As for drag racing Vipers, I personally drag raced my SRT 10,97 GTS and Gen 4 for 10 plus years and ran the shixx out of them and did not have one issue with them/all stock.Yes,very difficult to launch/shift,but when all lined up, I smoked most everything I raced because I drove a Viper..So,I guess that is what I and friends that do drag race wanted/expected for the Gen 5. Road Course, I agree the new TA is so bad ass and in my opinion it the best viper ever made...

I, as you did ( Bob) ,witness a Gen.5 do like 20 passes and it did not break..Rock Solid,but ya not a drag racer.....

I believe SRT is moving in the right direction with the testing of aftermarket HP parts at the drag strip and we will soon have a Gen.5 that can hang with these new hi tect 10 sec. cars..

Customers wishes are important for 100,000.00 plus toys.......

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, I remember when I saw the first 97 Blue and White GTS(10/96)at the dealer in Hollywood.,I was stunned how gorgeous it was and bought it immediately.New design with a wow factor like that with modern high tect HP and DCT will save the Viper.... Esp.if a Convertible is available...

The Gen V is better looking than the 97 GTS IMHO, apart from that silly gaping front - which only works when the rest of the car is black.. If they fixed that (even painting the cross hairs in the same color as the car would be a massive improvement and cost next to nothing) then you'd have a car that looked as good as an Aston Martin, better if that is even possible from 1 or 2 angles. The GTS is still a great design, the Gen 3 and 4 verts still look cool, the coupes look dated and ugly in the rear half sitting next to a C7. The gen 5 is a huge step up IMHO and if that gaping front grille was fixed, it'd hold its own against any of the exotics to look at. Sorry for any Gen 4 coupe owners I just offended. lol

Once the ECU can be retuned for bolt ons it'll be a solid 10 second car on good rubber for very little added cost. We'd all like to see 700+ hp, but it's really a very fine car as it is, and is getting quite good reviews overseas incl in Europe and the UK. The car deserves to sell more than it has and I feel sorry for SRT for all the negative BS they get, including here.

The Gen 1 had 400hp, the Gen 2 450, the Gen 3 had 500, and the Gen 4 had more, now you have 640. I think if you want to see any future for the Viper you should encourage others to buy one and buy one yourself if you haven't already got a Gen 5. I'd wager the Viper is a loss leader, it needs more love to survive at all.

Last edited:

TitleMine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who here can honestly say that they believe that 625 supercharged HP is better than 640 NA HP for road course purposes? And I am not writing about a one lap comparison. Let's see what happens during a 20 or 25 minute road course track day segment.

The Z06's strength has always been its weight and technology though, now moreso than ever. You're 100% right, Viper doesn't need 900HP or whatever people are saying, but without the aluminum frame and electronic differential and everything else the Vette has, it's at a bit of a disadvantage at its current level.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06's strength has always been its weight and technology though, now moreso than ever. You're 100% right, Viper doesn't need 900HP or whatever people are saying, but without the aluminum frame and electronic differential and everything else the Vette has, it's at a bit of a disadvantage at its current level.

New Z06 will weigh in at the minimum at 3500 lbs, assuming someone buys the stripped version. How on Earth can anyone mistake the new Z, using supercharger and subject to heat soak due to using cheapo air to air integrated intercooler for either the previous NA Z or the current NA Viper escapes me completely. The new Viper has about 200 lbw weight advantage, better aerodynamics and NORMALLY ASPIRATED POWER ADVANTAGE, yet, somehow the sky continues to fall. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V is better looking than the 97 GTS IMHO, apart from that silly gaping front - which only works when the rest of the car is black.. If they fixed that (even painting the cross hairs in the same color as the car would be a massive improvement and cost next to nothing) then you'd have a car that looked as good as an Aston Martin, better if that is even possible from 1 or 2 angles. The GTS is still a great design, the Gen 3 and 4 verts still look cool, the coupes look dated and ugly in the rear half sitting next to a C7. The gen 5 is a huge step up IMHO and if that gaping front grille was fixed, it'd hold its own against any of the exotics to look at. Sorry for any Gen 4 coupe owners I just offended. lol

Once the ECU can be retuned for bolt ons it'll be a solid 10 second car on good rubber for very little added cost. We'd all like to see 700+ hp, but it's really a very fine car as it is, and is getting quite good reviews overseas incl in Europe and the UK. The car deserves to sell more than it has and I feel sorry for SRT for all the negative BS they get, including here.

The Gen 1 had 400hp, the Gen 2 450, the Gen 3 had 500, and the Gen 4 had more, now you have 640. I think if you want to see any future for the Viper you should encourage others to buy one and buy one yourself if you haven't already got a Gen 5. I'd wager the Viper is a loss leader, it needs more love to survive at all.

In spite of what many continue to say, the new Corvette cannot be tuned easily, the tables are available but there is nobody out there yet who managed to do a full custom tune across the entire power range. IF the tables were available for Viper, and they will not be available, then Viper could be tuned very easily, just like any MPI car. DI is a very limiting factor in custom tuning.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Refreshed Dodge Viper will hit the streets 7/2015 according to FCA's 5-year plan for Dodge

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In spite of what many continue to say, the new Corvette cannot be tuned easily, the tables are available but there is nobody out there yet who managed to do a full custom tune across the entire power range. IF the tables were available for Viper, and they will not be available, then Viper could be tuned very easily, just like any MPI car. DI is a very limiting factor in custom tuning.

There are quite a few shops who have fully tuned the new C7 with a new cam heads and blowers making anywhere from 600-1000 plus RWHP. So yes competent shops are able to fully custom calibrate the new DI corvette.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are quite a few shops who have fully tuned the new C7 with a new cam heads and blowers making anywhere from 600-1000 plus RWHP. So yes competent shops are able to fully custom calibrate the new DI corvette.
Swapping cams and heads can hardly be called a tune, especially if you want to remain in compliance with emissions regulations, not to mention any warranty issues. May want to look into front crankshaft seal issues before deciding to force feed that LT1:D Considering the fuel pressures involved and intricate nature of DI programming (including not just timing but also spray patterns), yes, I would certainly put a lot of trust in those "comprehensive aftermarket tunes". Check out how it works out with MPI 911 Turbo vs. DI 911 Turbo...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper